I am always looking for a quick project to do on the weekends, and one that yields a fun hostess gift that can be made in less than an hour is a welcome addition to my list. I used Thermofax® screen printing, Lynn Krawczyk’s charming Thermofax® screens, and a pre-made tea towel, to create these coordinating tea towels.
|Thermofax screen printing on hand-dyed tea towels.|
Because I like a splash of color in my kitchen, I started by dyeing the towels in a low immersion dye bath. I then screen printed the image on the towels. After drying, they are ready to wrap for a hostess gift or to hang in my own kitchen.
Hand-dyed Tea Towels with Screen Printing
Note: all utensils should be reserved for non-food use
- 2 tea towels
- 2 plastic containers with covers
- 2 spoons
- Rit® dye
- 2 cups boiling water
- plastic gloves
- Thermofax screen
- Fabric paint
1. Get the towels wet and wring out the excess water.
|Thermofax screen by Lynn Krawczyk.|
2. In a bowl reserved for non-food use, mix 2 tsp. of Rit dye with 1 cup of boiling water. Stir well with a plastic spoon.
3. Immerse the tea towel in the dye, and let it soak up the color. Rearrange the fabric so the dye is dispersed evenly over the fabric. Cover the bowl loosely with the cover, and microwave on high for one minute.
4. Rinse the fabric in cool water until the water runs clear, then dry the fabric.
5. Using a paint color and Thermofax screen of your choice, decorate the tea towel with the image.
Thermofax screen printing is easy to do, especially when you have pre-made screens. We have a kit with everything you need to make these towels except the dye: screens, paints, tea towels, and Lynn’s video tutorial. Get the Tea Towel Deluxe Screen Printing Kit now and make hostess gifts in a weekend!
P.S. What’s your favorite quick handmade hostess gift? Leave your answer below.