We can't help noticing: the only thing that gets quilters going more than fabric and thread is a dose of their favorite morning beverage. Some can't function before pouring a mug of Joe. Others don't feel complete without breathing in the fragrant steam of their favorite tea.
What about you? Do you prefer the bean or the leaf? Hot or iced? Mug or cup? Lemon or milk? Combine your love of fiber art with your passion for your brew of choice in an 8" x 10" art quilt. Show us what you drink and the way you drink it, the sensations you experience, the effect the beverage has on you, or how you feel without it. We know that Quilting Arts readers are ready for this challenge!
|Art by bofogray|
Here's how to enter:
- Create an 8" x 10" art quilt based on the theme "Coffee or Tea?" The entire quilt, including binding, must measure 8" x 10". You may orient the quilt vertically or horizontally.
- Any embellishments must not protrude more than 1/2" from the quilt.
- The entire quilt must weigh no more than 1 lb.
- The quilt may be made with any materials, but it must be quilted (by hand, machine, or both), consist of three layers, and be either bound or closed along the edges. Label your quilt with your name, email address, and title of the quilt.
- Your entry must be free of any text or images that are protected by copyright, unless you have the expressed written permission from the person or institution that holds the copyright and you provide that written permission with your submission. (It's a good idea to steer clear of commercial imagery.)
- To be considered for the challenge, send two low-resolution (each less than 1MB) images of your entry (one of the entire quilt including the edges/binding and one of a detail of the quilt) via email by December 6, 2012 to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the words "Coffee or Tea?" in the subject line. Please include your name, email address, phone number, and a brief explanation of your piece in the email.
Note: Please do not "zip" your files and be sure to send jpegs.
- On December 12, 2012 assistant editor Kristine Lundblad will post the finalists on the Reader Challenge blog at quiltingdaily.com. This is the only notification that will be made.
- If accepted as a finalist, your artwork must be in our offices no later than January 11, 2013, along with a flat shipping and handling fee of $15 (U.S. and Canada) or $25 (all other international). This fee, which must be paid in U.S. dollars, covers the shipping costs, packing materials, and handling for the return of your entry.
- The entire piece and all of its packaging must weigh less than 5 lbs. and fit inside a standard shipping/mailing box (no larger than 12" x 4" x 14") or padded envelope.
Finalists should mail their entries to:
Quilting Arts Magazine/Interweave
Attn: Coffee or Tea Challenge
490 Boston Post Road, Suite 15
Sudbury, MA 01776
Note: By submitting your reader challenge entry, you are authorizing Interweave Press LLC to publish your project in upcoming publications and promotional materials, on our website, and in other Interweave e-media, as well as to possibly display it at shows. Interweave Press LLC will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
We reserve the right to keep and display your "Coffee or Tea?" pieces until the week of March 11, 2013. We will be shipping the quilts back during the last two weeks of March.
If you have questions about the "Coffee or Tea?" reader challenge, contact Kristine Lundblad at email@example.com.
We look forward to seeing your work!
Mark your calendar
- December 6, 2012: Emailed submissions are due with low-resolution jpeg photos.
- December 12, 2012: Names of finalists will be posted on the Reader Challenge blog at quiltingdaily.com.
- January 9, 2013: Finalists' quilts must be received in our offices by this date.
- April 2013: Look for a gallery of "Coffee or Tea?" quilts in the April/May 2013 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine!