“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” ~Henry James
I'd say Henry had it almost
right. "Summer afternoon quilting"
would be my choice of the most beautiful words.
So to celebrate summer and afternoons (or mornings) spent quilting, here's a free project, plus a Moda fabric give-away for two lucky commenters. One fabric pack contains "Summer House" by Lily Ashbury and "Meadow Friends" by Deb Strain. The other has "Meadow Friends" and "Twirl" by "Me and My Sister Designs."
But first, the free project. This e-reader cover by Lindsey Murray McClelland is from 101 Projects and Quilts. Lindsey made this cover to fit her 8" x 5 1/4" Kindle, just adjust the measurements to fit your e-reader.
Patchwork Kindle Cover
- 9 1/2" x 14 1/2" piece of fabric for exterior
- 9 1/2" x 14 1/2" piece of fabric for interior
- (2) 9 1/2" x 14 1/2" pieces of batting
- Fusible web
- Elastic hair band
1. Fuse a piece of batting to the wrong side of both the interior fabric and the main fabric, following the manufacturer's instructions for the fusible web.
Note: If you would like to quilt your cover this is the time to do so.
2. Layer the panels right sides together and sew around the edge of the fabric sandwich, leaving an opening for turning.
3. Trim the corners close to the seam to reduce bulk. Turn the piece right-side out.
4. Lay the mini quilt right-side down, and using your Kindle as a guide, fold the bottom part of the quilt up to create a pocket deep enough to secure your Kindle in place when it is on its long side.
5. Using a 1/4" seam allowance, topstitch along both sides of the pocket.
6. Mark the center of the cover flap and use a seam ripper to make a small 1/2" opening in the seam. Take the elastic hair band and insert it so it extends 1/2" out.
7. Topstitch across the middle of the band several times to anchor it in place.
8. Close the flap and mark where the loop ends. Sew a button at this spot.
What's your favorite summer quilting project? Leave your comment below for a chance to win one of the two fabric packs. I'll pick a winner next Tuesday, July 23, 2013.