Are you a hopeless romantic or a fool for poetry? Have you kept the love letters of your youth tucked in the corner of a lavender-scented shoe box? Has your idea of love and romance been shaped by a particularly juicy novel or a Hollywood heart-throb? The editorial team at Quilting Arts wants to know, and we are giving you a chance to wear your heart (and your "art") on your sleeve... with a festive Artist Trading Card (ATC) reader challenge!
We hosted our first ATC challenge in 2004, and featured many of the more than 800 entries on the pages of our magazine. The enthusiasm that was displayed for these minute pieces of art got us thinking-why not revisit the ATC format and encourage our readers to incorporate the theme of "What's In Your Heart" in a new ATC swap?
This challenge will be a fun opportunity for all involved to share their art with other readers in two ways. A selection of the cards will be published in the February/March 2013 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine and/or on our website, blogs, and Facebook pages. All of the cards will then be distributed, and each participant will receive an ATC from another artist.
Here's how the challenge works:
1. Create an embellished ATC the size of a baseball card, 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" and no more than 1/4" thick. It can be made with any mixed-media technique as long as it includes fabric. You are encouraged to add embellishments and try techniques from this issue.
NOTE: Your ATC must be free of any text or images that are protected by copyright, unless you have the expressed written permission from the person or institution that holds the copyright and you provide that written permission with your submission.
2. Please include your name and email address on the back of the card so we can contact you if necessary (only the front of the card will be photographed).
3. We encourage you to upload an image of your ATC to the Share Your Quilt and Fiber Art gallery at quiltingdaily.com.
4. Only one entry per person. If you send more than one ATC, we will consider them a donation and they will not be returned. Your ATC must be received in our offices by Monday, November 5, 2012 to be photographed for publication.
5. This challenge is a swap: Your ATC will not be returned to you, however, we will send you an ATC made by another reader.
6. Please send your ATC and a shipping and handling fee in U.S. currency of $4 (U.S. and Canada) or $6 (all other international), made payable to Interweave, along with your name and complete mailing address to:
Quilting Arts Magazine/Interweave
ATTN: ATC Challenge
490 Boston Post Road, Suite 15
Sudbury, MA 01776
If you have any questions, contact assistant editor Kristine Lundblad at email@example.com. Please be sure to include your first and last names and your contact information, including a phone number, in all email correspondence.
NOTE: By submitting your ATC to our challenge, you are authorizing Interweave Press LLC to publish your ATC in upcoming publications and promotional materials, on our website, and in other Interweave e-media, as well as possibly display it in shows. Interweave Press LLC will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
Mark Your Calendar!
- November 5, 2012: Your ATC must be received in our offices by this date to be a part of the swap.
- January 15, 2013: We will send you an ATC made by another Quilting Arts Magazine reader.
- February 2013: Look for a gallery of "What's in Your Heart?" ATCs in the February/March 2013 issue of Quilting Arts Magazine!