Which Issue of QA Got You Started?

16 Feb 2011

I just completed a huge move so I can be closer to the QUILTING ARTS office. One of the best parts about moving is undoubtedly when all the hard work is done and it’s finally time to unpack the boxes, set everything up, and begin a new craft project.

This past weekend,  I decided I was ready to embark on an art quilting project.  I absolutely love working with fiber (knitting, sewing, weaving, spinning, and dyeing take up nearly all of my spare time), but I'm still relatively new to the extraordinary world of art quilting. Knowing where to start can be overwhelming, especially when I have sitting on my desk every back issue of QUILTING ARTS to peruse for ideas. Talk about a treasure trove of inspiration!

And since I’ve been thinking a lot about new creative endeavors and that ‘aha’ moment when you realize you’ve stumbled upon the very art or craft that speaks to you and will become a lifetime endeavor, I’d like to know--which issue of QUILTING ARTS set you off on your own journey as a quilt artist?

Leave me a comment!  I’d love to hear your story. I will be giving away some fabric from the Moda collection "Lily & Will" by Bunny Hill Designs to one lucky reader. To win, leave a comment at the end of this post sharing your own QA journey.

I will announce the winner of the Lily & Will fabric on Friday, February 25th.

-Ellen

Comments

Jeannie EVH wrote
on 16 Feb 2011 2:07 PM

I had just joined a new quilting group that was focused on more artistic quilt techniques when QA started. It meshed so well with what we were doing in the group and inspired us to veer off into areas that were new to all. I think the clincher for me was Issue #7 with the interview of Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn. There work was so beautiful and different. Have fun on your new journey into the art quilt world.

Junecl wrote
on 17 Feb 2011 6:01 PM

Hi Ellen,

I am a newbie as well and in all honesty, It was not an issue that got me started, but the wonderful world of Quilting Arts TV DVD!!!.   I did not know until I purchased several copies  of Quilting Arts TV from my local Joann that this part of the world was right under my nose....!  I have found my muse!.  I love textitles..., mixed media..., painting, and collage.

Time is what I yearn for...  I have began sketching ideas and this weekend my plans are to gather material and enjoy a restful weekend of trying new techinques and having fun.... I hope the same for you as well.

June

giselmaus wrote
on 19 Feb 2011 6:36 AM

I started quilting in 1991 and at this time you only could read about it in english. I am german from the eastside and what I learned at school was russian only. so I started to learn english and started with traditional quilting. in the 2003 I went sick with fibromyalgia and had pain around the whole body -no more handquilting and when I was searching for cure in the Internet - I found quilting arts and a new live began - i learned about mixed media techniques and always found something to be creative - even if I was in pain -and sometimes I forgot about my pain. First my friend Donna from Texas brough with her the quilting arts magazines with her

exchange students every year-but now my retailer in the nighborhood sells it and the books from Interweave too- my big source of inspiration. I love it. And the downloads to.When I come home after work-the first thing I do-start sthe internet an watch what is new on quilting dayly. Thanks for the internet - so I can be a part of the big quilting and mixed media family. Best regards Gisela from the Black Forrest.

quilternan wrote
on 19 Feb 2011 6:47 AM

I'm still planning in my mind how to begin my first art quilt and reading again all the back issues of Quilting Arts that I have saved.  I know I just need to "jump in" and do something and I will soon.  Thanks for the chance to will the "Lily & Will" fabric.

quilternan wrote
on 19 Feb 2011 6:49 AM

Didn't get my comment signed - it's from Nancy - in regard to jumping in and getting started.

bopalula250 wrote
on 19 Feb 2011 10:52 AM

I'm not sure which issue inspired me, but it was one showing "Postcard Quilts".  That was my aha moment.  I wanted to do something crafty with fabric, but didn't have the room or the inclination to spend hours on a big quilt.  Here was something I could do and get instant gratification!  Plus, I can mail them to friends and family, and they won't take up a lot of space.  I've used them as invitations, get well cards, and gifts for cast members of a show I was in.  It's always fun to visit my friends and family and see my little creations propped up on a shelf on display.  Thanks for all the inspiration.  I love your magazine.  Jackie

HouseDragon wrote
on 20 Feb 2011 1:04 PM

My quilty friend in Vienna, Austria, showed me your very first issue.  I rushed off taking the bus, the U-bahn (subway), and a tram to get to the downtown bookstore that carried American magazines.

I've been buying Quilting Arts every since and more recently after we moved back to the USA, I've been a subscriber.  I've saved every issue and my set is complete!

Every issue is full of wonder and amazing inspiration!

carolburrows wrote
on 21 Feb 2011 8:42 AM

It was 3years ago when i was sitting in my friend Syd's living room looking at QA when I found THE article.  We had been looking for a school to attend where we could learn to create and not just make copies of what others were doing.  Well there was a beautiful book that looked like a cedar tree.  We both looked at it and said, "That is the type of art we want to do!".   Well even more exciting were the credits that explained that this artist had attended an art studio in Oak Harbor, Washington.  That was about 20 minutes from Syd's home.  We immediately took a short trip to this art studio and that began an amazing journey in art.  I fly down from Alaska and the 2 of us have attended Gail Harkers creative studies center for over 2 years.  This is an amazing life journey that would not have occurred without seeing an amazing article in QA.    Carol burrows.  Juneau, Alaska

on 22 Feb 2011 2:50 PM

Wow! Thanks for the great comments so far! I've absolutely loved reading them--so much variety and it's such a treat to hear your individual stories.

candy49 wrote
on 23 Feb 2011 12:10 AM

The first issue of Quilting Arts I laid eyes on was the April/May 2010 issue.  I don't think it was any one thing in the magazine, instead it was the whole magazine. I read it cover to cover and was so inspired to create. My art quilts/crafts have grown in quality and I'm sure will continue to grow with this wonderful inspiring magazine. Thank you QA!