Hold Everything! Coin purses make easy handmade gifts

14 Dec 2012

With only a week or so until Christmas, I am feeling the crunch. It is always a challenge to balance everything that is expected this time of year. My kids have parties and concerts for school, there are presents to wrap, cookies to bake, and trees to trim. Oh yes, and the usual juggle of work, home, and studio time continues. There just aren't enough hours in the day to get everything done.

coin purses are easy handmade gifts
Easy handmade gifts like this cute coin
purse are fun to create.

Despite the long list of reasons why I shouldn't make stitched or quilted gifts for my family and friends (see above), I just can't resist the siren call of new fabric and inspiring ideas. Last year I decided to put my homemade gift ideas on the back burner and focus on my new job. But I really missed the joy and excitement of passing something I had made to people I care about. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing someone open a gift that was made just for them.

So on my way home from work a few weeks ago I stopped at my local fabric store and bought some coin purse frames. I had seen a gorgeous display of frames at Quilt Market in October. They were from Japan and had that distinctly Asian aesthetic. I could imagine all of the beautiful purses I was going to make, if I only had the time. But I got distracted and forgot to go back to the booth to see where I could buy them.

So when I got these little beauties home, I realized that I had no idea how to use them. They didn't come with patterns, and I knew I'd have to do some investigating. After a few minutes on the Internet, I learned that I had to take things into my own hands and make my own pattern to fit the size and shape of the frames I had bought. But guess what? It was simpler than I thought.

Here's the shortened version of how to make a mini coin purse:

1. Make a pattern: Place the frame on a piece of paper and trace the top profile, noting the center (where the clasp comes together) and the bottom of the frame. Continue drawing the exterior of the purse. Add a ¼" seam around the entire exterior of the pattern.

2. Cut out 2 pieces of fabric for the coin purse and 2 pieces for the lining using the pattern you just made. Be sure to transfer the marks from the pattern onto the fabric.

3. Place the outside fabric piece right sides together and sew around the bottom of the purse, from the points where the metal frame ends. Clip the curves and turn the piece right side out.

4. Place the lining fabric pieces right sides together. Mark a 2" opening at the bottom of the pieces. This will remain unsewn so you can turn the purse right side out. Sew from the 2" opening to the point where the metal frame ends on both sides of the lining. Clip the corners.

5. Pin the outside of the purse inside the lining, matching the top edges. Sew all the way around the top of the piece. Clip the corners.

6. Turn the piece right side out and push the lining inside the coin purse. Topstitch 1/8" from the edge around the seam you just made.

7. Slip the finished top of the purse inside the frame (it should fit perfectly!) and stitch or glue it in place. There you have it: an easy handmade gift.

That's what I am making this weekend for my sister. What's on your handmade holiday gift list? Leave your answer in the comments section below.

Happy Holidays!

Comments

tvbleak wrote
on 15 Dec 2012 5:32 AM

I made my sister a pouch purse, in fact I made seven more for family and friends, but in the "small world" category, my sister made me a coin purse, similar to yours.  I just opened it yesterday and I love it. :^)   Merry Christmas.

ruth142 wrote
on 15 Dec 2012 6:40 AM

This sounds like a great little gift. Where can I get the frames?  thank you,

rbradley

ruth142 wrote
on 15 Dec 2012 6:42 AM

where can I purchase the purse frames?

janetleora wrote
on 15 Dec 2012 7:03 AM

I made one a few years ago from a kit and wasn't happy with the pokeys at the hinge, so I will try again with some frames I have, and this time I will stitch AND glue. thank you so much for the inspiration, again.

on 15 Dec 2012 11:32 AM

I am making mustache pillows for my grandson, and frilly pillows for my granddaughters.  Mattresses for American Girl dolls, lacy scarves, insulated oven mitts and matching potholders and hanging towels.

bobbinalong wrote
on 15 Dec 2012 4:06 PM

There's something really skewed about tempting us with a fast last-minute gift (however cute and appealing) that requires a hard-to-find, special order item like the coin purse frame shown!

Would love more project suggestions like this... in OCTOBER when i have a hope of finding and ordering the special item (like the frame) necessary to complete this adorable gift.

VivikaEditor wrote
on 16 Dec 2012 3:10 PM

bobbinalong and everyone else, the coin purse frames are not hard to find! I got mine at my local Joann's store and they are widely available on the Internet.

kittycat1940 wrote
on 19 Dec 2012 9:26 PM

I am also making some little purses from a Valorie Wells Pattern that I bought last summer in McMinville, Or along with some lovely fabric. My other hand made project ismicrowavable hot packs filled with Lavender and rice. It can also be used as a cold pack. I use gallon size ziploc bags to place them in to keep any moisture out of the bags while they get cold in the freezer.. I have always enjoyed making things for family and friends "by my own hand"

Love your little purses...now I need to find some frames!

Kit

Yanya3 wrote
on 21 Dec 2013 12:36 PM

A tumbler quilt for our oldest son, a flannel plaid quilt for the younger boy, a darling pink and green quilt backed with pink minky for our 2 year old granddaughter, a hand-quilted table runner for my daughter, a Mary Englebreight patterned lap quilt for my best buddy who just had knee replacement surgery, a large single log-cabin quilt for my dearest friend, a yellow/grey/black/white swirly prints lap quilt for my DIL, a cute martini fabric apron for my hair stylist and a beautiful magenta and gold lap quilt for my Mom's caregiver.

on 21 Dec 2013 4:14 PM

Even our little Joann's in southern Oregon has these frames!  But you can also get them at Purl Soho in NYC.  They sell online and you east coasters could probably still get them in time.  Their "project site" the Purl Bee also has a pattern and instructions for the frames they sell.