A Quick and Easy Handmade Gift Idea

18 Dec 2012

OK, it's not quilting but sometimes you just need a quick and easy handmade gift, right? If you have some fabric and pillow forms or stuffing, you can make a pair of pillows in about an hour. How's that for a quick hostess gift or spiffy home décor spruce-up for holiday guests?!

The finished pillows!
My daughter recently moved across the country and set up house. She put many household items on her gift wish list, including a pair of pillows she found online. When I clicked to view them (I was thinking of a quick purchased gift, at that point), I discovered they were made with outdoor fabric, which is not what she wanted. She said they were just a suggestion (not a specific want) and that I was free to pick anything that might look good on her new red couch.

Hmm, I thought. I have just the fabric is my stash! Some time ago, I bought 2 yds. of Marimekko fabric at a close-out. These bold flowers would be just the thing for her red couch. Plus, I had pillow forms on hand.

Here's how I made 2 pillows in 1 hour.

Materials
2 18" pillow forms or polyester stuffing
1 1/2 yds. fabric (I fussy cut the flowers so I needed a little extra fabric. You will use less fabric if you're not fussy cutting.)

This is what I started with. I love this bold
Marimekko fabric!

Directions

1.       Cut 4 18" squares of fabric.

Note:
I like pillows to be well stuffed. If you like a looser fit, cut your fabric squares 19"-20".

2.       Place one fabric square on top of a second square, right sides together. Sew around 3 sides using a 1/4" seam allowance. Clip the sewn corners.

3.       Turn the pillow cover right side out. Gently push out the sewn corners. Fold in the raw edges of the opening by 1/4" and press lightly.

4.       Push the pillow form into the cover. Close the opening by whip stitching by hand or carefully machine stitching close to the folded edge.

5.       Repeat with the other pair of squares.

You now have 2 pillows to share or keep! Happy holidays!

Kristine

Filed under:

Comments

Tina Fratta wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 6:21 PM

You seem to have the wrong information attached to this link, it is supposed to be about bracelets?

pegwillyd1 wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 7:28 PM

This is ridiculous! Try to read a part of  a word and that is a vertical line and only a small piece of the picture. How can you expect a person to be able to  see ;how to make something. Why put something on line if you do not want to show a instructions.

pegwillyd1 wrote
on 22 Dec 2012 7:28 PM

on 22 Dec 2012 10:18 PM

I had no problem getting to this link.  The wording is accurate and it is about pillows and the directions are all there as are nice photos.  Did you click on the right link for the bracelets?  Be careful where your pointer or hand is pointed before you click.

smithb wrote
on 24 Dec 2012 8:32 AM

I too am having trouble seeing the instructions for the bracelet.  The link is not correct, but not going to get bent out of shape over it.  I'm sure it will be corrected soon.

Anne Evans wrote
on 27 Dec 2012 8:27 AM

There are 2 links one for pillows which brings you here and one for bracelets which also brings you to the pillows.

Anne

jks2 wrote
on 28 Dec 2012 12:05 PM

Bracelets, please

donnonne wrote
on 30 Dec 2012 9:06 AM
VivikaEditor wrote
on 1 Jan 2013 8:32 PM

Thank you, donnonne, for providing the correct link for the bracelets to everyone! We apologize for the inconvenience.

pegwillyd1, I'm sorry but I can't see the error you are referring to. You might try using another browser to view the instructions.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience, and Happy New Year.

Britstitch wrote
on 22 Jun 2013 8:20 AM

What a generous mum, giving away Marimekko fabric, lol!

foxfyre wrote
on 23 Nov 2013 3:16 PM

Pillow forms can be outrageously expensive. So, make them. Use a 50%  or more off the regular price coupon at one of the fabric chains and buy the big box of fiber fill. Watch for sales at thrift stores or garage sales and buy lined curtains. Remove the lining and use to make the outside of the pillow forms. Used clothing provide inexpensive zippers. Stuff with the fiber fill. Pillow forms ridiculously cheap AND recycled. BTW, use the curtain fabric to make grocery bags.

Anna345 wrote
on 23 Nov 2013 4:06 PM

Such a cute and nice idea for a gift. One thing I do when making pillows is, when sewing the fabric together I slope the stitching starting at the corner, 1/4 inch from edge of seam alowance and taper it to the center of the seam, and then taper it back to the corner for 1/2 inch seam allowance on all four corners. I do have to leave a bit smaller opening to slip the form in OR I make an complete opening on the back, this too take some extra fabric, and then I finish it with buttons or a zipper depending on what I have on hand and time for doing. It's a personal choice, but I rather like my pillows WITHOUT the dog ears.  (:>)

Thanks!  Have fun sewing, the BEST relaxer I've ever found.