Life Mimics Art Quilts?

15 Jan 2013

Have you ever dressed to match your quilt? Accidentally or on purpose?

art quilt and matching outfit
My quilt and I match!
Here at Interweave, the teams of Quilting Arts, Stitch, and Cloth Paper Scissors magazines take a few moments out each week to gather together for Show and Tell. We show projects we've finished or started, we reveal the results of challenges we've held amongst ourselves, and we even show off other accomplishments and milestones like a completed kitchen reno or a new pet. (Photos substitute for the real things, of course.)

At this week's Show and Tell, I revealed a cute little baby quilt I created for our spring edition of Modern Patchwork magazine (which will be coming out around April). I used fabrics designed by Lotta Jansdotter, whose aesthetic I adore. Her fabrics appeal to my Scandinavian heart and her colors are fresh and fun.

orange shoes mimic art quilt patterns
Don't you love the orange shoes?
So I'm standing there, holding my quilt in front of me and talking about it. My coworkers are smiling, some are giggling a little. "Hmm," I say to myself. "Is my fly down? Do I have spinach in my teeth?"

And then someone says, "Look, you're wearing the same colors that are in your quilt!"

Well, what do you know, I was! My teal sweater and orange shoes matched pretty darn close to the teal and orange in my quilt. And, although I used white fabric in the quilt, my khaki pants were pretty close in the neutral department. I had to laugh!

It's funny how you're sometimes drawn to the same colors over and over again. I love a pop of orange in my wardrobe as well as my quilts. I guess you work with what you love, right?

Kristine

Comments

reginabdunn wrote
on 16 Jan 2013 5:56 PM

I love that color combination, too. I tried making some pieces with other dominant colors, but I always come back to teal and usually with an accent of red orange somewhere.

Lindy101 wrote
on 19 Jan 2013 9:29 AM

Grinning is a great start to my day! Thanks!

merlinsilha wrote
on 19 Jan 2013 1:21 PM

I used to work in a linens store.  Many times customers would come in to find bedding to redecorate their bedroom, and more often than not customers would be wearing the colors they were shopping for.  same for buying towels for the bathroom.  i guess you decorate your enviroment with what you enjoy, so you wear what you love.

merlinsilha wrote
on 19 Jan 2013 1:22 PM

I used to work in a linens store.  Many times customers would come in to find bedding to redecorate their bedroom, and more often than not customers would be wearing the colors they were shopping for.  same for buying towels for the bathroom.  i guess you decorate your environment with what you enjoy, so you wear what you love.

merlinsilha wrote