We want YOU to submit to one of our publications!
Have you ever checked out the submissions page on our website? We have calls for submissions for our publications – and are always thrilled when we get submissions from you.
Right now we have a special call out for your MODERN PATCHWORK projects. We would love to see your contemporary spin on patchwork.
Tell me, what is the most unique item that you would want to be made out of patchwork? Comment on this post with your answer and I will randomly select one lucky reader to be sent a fat quarter bundle of fabric (so they can perhaps make something to submit to Modern Patchwork… :)).
Here is our call for entry for Modern Patchwork, but you can of course read it on our submissions page as well.
Call for Submissions
We’re seeking quick and stylish items with a modern-day appeal that are made in the latest fabrics. If you have a quick, easy, contemporary patchwork project of your own, original design that you’d like to share, we’d love to see it!
Modern Patchwork is our new special issue packed with projects for today’s quilters and sewists. This issue features patchwork projects of every kind, including home décor, accessories, and wearables. From full-sized bed quilts to patchwork scarves, slippers, bulletin boards, and key chains, we welcome submissions of a wide array from innovative sewers. The contemporary and fresh aesthetic of these projects pays tribute to the modern revival of patchwork, integrating traditional and innovative techniques to create items that are tasteful and unique.
Please note: This issue will hit newsstands in Spring 2012, so keep this date in mind when considering the seasonality and/or colors of the project(s) you submit.
Submit to Modern Patchwork today!
We are looking for items to suit every room of the house—as well as yourself! You are not limited to the following list, but we encourage you to submit quick and easy patchwork projects that fall within these guidelines:
· Kitchen items: pot holders, dishtowels, aprons, and recipe book covers
· Dining room décor: quilted vases, seat cushions, place mats, napkins and napkin rings, wine charms, tablecloths, and coasters
· Sewing studio accessories: pincushions, needle books, door hangings, and sewing machine covers
· Living room decorations: pillows, photo frames, lampshades, fabric clocks, bookmarks, book covers, and rugs
· Items for the nursery and kids: stuffed animals, diaper bags, sleeping bags, toys, mobiles, play mats, bibs, burp cloths, and baby quilts
· Wearables: scarves, earrings, skirts, headbands, bracelets, belts, and necklaces
· Bags of all sorts: totes, messenger bags, lunch bags, clutches, and accessory bags
· Items to take on the go: key fobs, car accessories, coffee cup covers, wallets, luggage tags, and picnic blankets
· Pet accessories: leash and collar sets, dog and cat toys, and pet jackets and beds
· Tech accessories: camera straps, mouse pads, camera cases, and covers for computers, tablets, and iPods
· Gift wrapping ideas
· Quilts of all shapes and sizes (but keep it simple!): bed quilts, wall quilts, lap quilts, throws, and mini quilts
How to submit
We will be accepting submissions for Modern Patchwork through Friday, November 11, 2011. Don’t delay, submit today!
Please submit your project proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: MODERN PATCHWORK). See email submission directions below.
Submissions via email
· Send a brief description of the project(s) you propose to email@example.com. In the subject line, write “MODERN PATCHWORK.”
· Be sure to include your name, address, website, and phone number and list your credentials (such as teaching or previous writing experience).
· Please include photographs of the project (s) (up to three low-resolution jpegs) with your email. One email and three attached low-res jpegs only (per project), please. If we are interested in your query, we may ask for more photos, or higher resolution jpegs to be sent, but we do all our magazine photography in-house.
You will receive an auto-reply immediately, acknowledging that your email has been received. We will let you know within 12 weeks following the submission deadline via email whether we have accepted your query. No phone calls or emails, please.
Mailing a submission
If you prefer, you may also send in queries via regular mail and include an SASE (self-addressed, stamped envelope) if you want your query materials returned. Succinctly describe your project and include prints (these are just to give us an idea and do not need to be professionally shot). Please do not send original artwork at this point in the process.
To mail your query, send it to:
Attn: Modern Patchwork Submissions
490 Boston Post Road, #15
Sudbury, MA 01776