Syndication

Widget

Recent Posts

Archives

Sewing Repub

Movin' on up!

28 Apr 2009

Gosh! That is the title song to a TV show I used to watch as a child...

Hello all. This is my first post to the NEW Quilting Arts website as an author. I am pretty excited about all of this. I think the site looks great and offers so much to our community, I am glad that we now have a social networking site with the ability to show off our work, meet and converse with one another, engage in the world of facebook and tweeting and all from this shiny new centralized web site! Pokey, Helen, Barbara, and all at Quilting Arts have been working hard to get this together for us and they have done it in no time flat! Though I bet they would disagree! So, Let's all give them a super big thanks!! Or a big glass of red wine. :)

So here is the cover image to my book, Click to order:

Um, can I tell you how dang happy I am that it is finally being released? Borned? (I just made that up.)

I am pretty excited to be able to present a fun idea that I have come up with to help promote my book,  and to engage you, the reader in partaking in what it has to offer. I propose the concept of Video Prompt Challenges. What this means is that I will create a video which will discuss a topic addressed in the book. At the end of each video, I will challenge you to play with the idea and create artwork to go with it. My first Video Prompt will be about stamp making, but you will need to wait just a few weeks to see the entire video. You see, the book comes out this week, and I want to allow folks time to get the thing into thier creative lil hands!

Instead, I offer you this introduction video (the opening scene if you will):

This is how the idea will work:

1. Buy the book so you understand the techniques.

2. Each Video challenge will describe the challenge that week.

3. Watch and partake in the challenge.

4. Upload your challenge results to Share Your Art pages with the tag, Inspired to Quilt (that way we will be able to look at each others work and have a discussion about it.)

5. Stay tuned to the next challenge.

Learn, play and enjoy yo'self!

So do you want to play art with me?

Comments

Pokey wrote
on 1 May 2009 6:44 PM

Melly, I'll play art with you! Anytime.

And today's the day! Your book is now available! How are you feeling? I know so many people are going to be excited about this...

MellyT wrote
on 1 May 2009 7:13 PM

I was walking on air all day long! I am happy.

artbymarlis wrote
on 2 May 2009 1:31 AM

Melly, congratulations!!! I hope you continue walking on air! :-)

Jody Johnson wrote
on 2 May 2009 8:08 AM

Melly, I can't imagine what it must feel like to be published. I can't wait to see the book!! I am looking forward to joining your challenges. I am so happy to finally belong to a social network that promotes art quilting.

Congratualtion!

MellyT wrote
on 2 May 2009 3:05 PM

Thank you Marlis and Jody!!! I really am walking on air, this is a dream come true!

Jody? My best friends name is Jody Johnson too! I am really happy to be a part of this too.

on 2 May 2009 3:37 PM

Hi Melanie,

Congrats on the new book!  I drew up a "map" today and just finished writing up my plan for colors, shapes, masks, etc.  I'm getting very excited to try out your techniques and while I can envision my results, I sure hope they turn out as I'm hoping.  I'll share when I'm finished.

Muppin wrote
on 3 May 2009 7:01 AM

Melly- I can't wait to do these video prompts.  They're going to be just what I need to kick my creativity up a notch.

natalya2 wrote
on 4 May 2009 5:59 PM

Melly how do I get an autographed copy????

iamvics wrote
on 5 May 2009 7:56 PM

Congrats!  I wish I could join your challenge but, alas, I am probably one of the few in the world with dial-up and videos are difficult at best!  I will follow along though.

Vic

on 6 May 2009 6:32 AM

O O O I can't wait to do this... if I call Interweave this morning, do you think they can have this book in my hands by this afternoon? LOL

Congrats on the release!

on 19 Oct 2009 4:44 PM

True to Melly fashion I am working on something that has bird feathers in it. I can't really say