Syndication

Archives

Sewing Repub

Video Prompts Begin

21 May 2009

Video Prompts Begin!

Hi everybody!

Today I will begin our semi-weekly I2Q Video Prompt Challenge.

Some basic yadayada.

This video challenge speaks to making marks and motifs that can be used in future projects. These marks are your personal signature and can come to be synonymous with your work and personal style.

Specifically I will ask you to make two different kinds of stamps, craft foam stamps and glue stamps, found on pages 22 through 25 of Inspired to Quilt.

During this next week, I am going to make some cloth with the stamps I make as a result of this challenge and will share them with you in a blog post.

If you make a set of stamps and/or use these same stamps, please post images to the Quilting Arts site using the TAGS: Inspired to Quilt, Video Prompt. This is important so that we can each see what the other has done on a single page of the site. If you would like to post about your project on your personal blog, by ALL MEANS do! but leave a comment here so that folks will know to check out work blog. I will also blog summaries with links to help put these links in focus.

If you have questions about the challenge ask them in this forum, this is a central place where each of us can go, if and when questions arise.

I am going to go through chapter 2, extracting prompt ideas, in these next few challenges. If you have questions you would like me to address in future prompts, please post your comments to this post and I will address them as we proceed.

What I would like to do is to help you create a basic set of motifs and to explore how to use them before we move on to building an image and creating finished pieces.

For this particular challenge you will need:

paper

sharpie marker, pencil, crayon

sticky back craft foam

Plexiglas

card board

thick white craft glue

These techniques are fully explained on pages 22 through 25 of Inspired to Quilt

Here is a tip I just learned which will help you in creating Glue Stamps: Prepare the cardboard prior to making your stamp by painting both sides with a thin layer of glue, allow to dry. This will ensure that the stamp remains flat for the life of the stamp.

so here you go:

Updated to help out with photo gallery uploads:

Go to Photo Galleries> Share your Quilt and Fiberart>On the top right you will see Upload>Click Upload>Click Specify URL. If you Choose Radio Button called Upload File> Click on "Choose File">Locate image file on you computer>Click "save". This will bring you back to the upload page>Name your image>Describe image> place tags> click Save.

The tags are the important part so that all artwork will show in a single gallery viewable by all. So use; Inspired to Quilt, Video Prompt, Your Name. That way, if you go to the shared gallery pages you can look up just one or all of these options, and will be able to view your artwork in any number of configurations. Using the tags creates an individual gallery specific to what we are trying to acheive.

And don't forget to sign for my Pretty Purse Give Away.

Comments

on 21 May 2009 3:32 PM

Melly, I don't get the link for the video on my computer. Is it a YouTube video? Can you provide a direct link?  I just got your book in the mail today. I am devouring each page while nursing my sick daughter with homemade chicken soup.  Fab book, so lovin' it!

Belinda

MellyT wrote
on 22 May 2009 2:58 AM

The picture itself is the link, if you click on it, it will begin. Glad you are enjoying the book!

Maggie89 wrote
on 22 May 2009 4:35 AM

so cute!  what a great place to start. Marks are so personal. There is a power in making a strong mark that no one else can make quite the same. and have buckets of fun doing it at the same time.

love the 3RB with PP. (page protectors) Have you considered your own language? !

Maggie- getting -impatient -for- my- book order

MellyT wrote
on 22 May 2009 1:23 PM

Maggie! I thought the 3RB thing was really clever and hoped it would come across as such. Now I can add PP to it! Way to go! Thanks.

on 22 May 2009 5:53 PM

Melanie, I've been playing with stamps that I made from your video prompt.  I've been so inspired by flowers and buds that these are the images I'm gravitating to at the moment.  See the fabric samples pictures I've uploaded.

Margaret

on 22 May 2009 6:15 PM

Darn it all :(  I can't figure out how to add the photos.  Can anyone help?

Margaret

Jane LaFazio wrote
on 22 May 2009 8:07 PM

Hi Melly, I posted my 'Oaxaca Inspiration' (patterns to inspire my stamps for printing) on my profile, but there's no place for tags. I see I can also post it in the photo galleries, but where? Is there a specific one for Inspired to Quilt?

xo

jane

MellyT wrote
on 23 May 2009 4:35 AM

If you upload photos to The "Share your Quilt and Fiberart" Gallery

Go to: quiltingdaily.com/.../default.aspx

On the top right you will see upload

Click Upload

Click Specify URL

If you Choose Radio Button called Upload File> Click on "Choose File">Locate image file on you computer>Click "save"This will bring you back to the upload page>Name your image>Describe image> place tags> click save

Jane LaFazio wrote
on 23 May 2009 7:27 AM

thanks for the location of where to post our images.....there seems to be a technical problem right now. I put mine on my blog www.janeville.blogspot.com  I'll try the QA site again later.

Muppin wrote
on 27 May 2009 6:02 AM

I made my doodles, and I'm off to upload them now!!!

on 27 May 2009 7:43 PM

I just loaded all my picts into the photo gallery.  I also put the tags on.  I was groovin' on the silver Lumiere paint, you will see it a lot in the picts.  I think it's over now.  They came out really well. Now I have to decide what I am going to do with them. I love how some of them came out. The thicker patterns came out better than the thinner lines.  So easy to clean. Will be able to use them over and over again as long as I don't accidentally heat them. So fun and so easy!

Belinda

on 1 Jun 2009 2:05 PM

Hi guys! I have been bogged down with deadlines and some play, so I didn't blog last week, I hope