Syndication

Widget

Recent Posts

Archives

Sewing Repub

Pencils; tamed.

21 Nov 2009

With my focus on journaling and drawing, I decided to make a pencil case for all that I will need to carry back and forth to figure drawing sessions. I had the machine quilting samples for the International Quilt Fest: Quilt Scene article I wrote and went at it.

The bag is modeled after a bag I saw while shopping at this pen store (scroll down). I didn't put the small pocket in as you see in the inspiration, though I wish I had, it would carry a sharpener and eraser quite nicely. A mod in retrospect? hm.

I like how it becomes a pencil cup, though it is a little soft and wobbly, of course.

I did all of this between 7:30 and 9 yesterday morning. My parents visited me and we spent the day eating our way through just some of what Brooklyn has to offer.

It was a great day, but much too short. Don't we look well fed and happy?

Featured Product

International Quilt Fest: Quilt Scene

Availability: Out Of Stock
Price: $14.99

Magazine Single Issue

This special issue from Quilting Arts Magazine and Quilts, Inc. captures the energy, beauty, and community of today's quilt scene.

Comments

on 21 Nov 2009 10:39 AM

Cute project!  I'm sure it will be well used.

What a wonderful photo of you and your parents.  I love your father's beard!

CarroleB wrote
on 22 Nov 2009 7:42 AM

Hi Melanie

Love the new take on the pencil case.

I really enjoy your blog and the videos, thanks for sharing .

Firedancer

Quilnan wrote
on 22 Nov 2009 9:24 AM

This is a really cute project, thanks for sharing it. Looks like a nice day in Brooklyn... glad you could enjoy it with your folks. I have a pencil case (commercial one) similar to this design... might a fabric covered piece of firm cardboard cut to shape and placed inside ease the wobbles? Or did you already put something in the bag bottom? Nancy

MellyT wrote
on 22 Nov 2009 2:52 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the comments. I think I will try a cardboard insert. I need to wait to get a heavy grade cardboard. Maybe I should put a free pdf pattern together, would you guys be interested? I hesitate because folks tend to be afraid of zippers.

on 22 Nov 2009 7:14 PM

Please do a pdf and include some hints on zippers for these kind of projects and I'm sure you will have a winner!

Quilnan wrote
on 23 Nov 2009 8:35 AM

A pattern would be great... or submit it to the magazine for publication? It would make a really nice project and would photograph well for next gift issue. No, I don't work there... but am always thinking of ideas... they just pop into mind! It would be fun to work there though, wouldn't it? Nancy

Chriss110 wrote
on 30 Nov 2009 8:09 PM

Yes, yes, yes...I would love a pdf with a pattern.  I made my first zippered pouch just last week.  I struggled with the zipper, but I got it done.  I am ready to try again.

This looks like it would make great gifts too!  By the way, I watched your quilted arts tv episode where you made the pretty purses.  Where did you get the cool zippers?

Thanks Melanie!