This January, I’m all about soup.
You see, I ate a little too much of this kind of thing while on vacation in Mexico:
(the best chicken and mole I’ve ever had in my life)
I received a glorious Le Creuset® French oven for Christmas (basically, a big cast iron sauce pan)... and it’s barely pushing 28 degrees F here in good old Boston.
So, these days soup just hits the spot. Warm, simple, delicious. Last night was split pea with ham, but on Sunday I made my personal favorite, butternut squash:
It’s basically chicken stock, onions, a bit of seasoning, and pureed squash. For some reason, I always try to make my dinners look somewhat presentable, as if good-looking food will taste better as well. Hence the garnish of apple slices.
I can’t help but wonder what a quilt depicting my favorite soup would look like—or any of my favorite flavors, for that matter (when summertime rolls around, I crave nothing more than an enormous cone of orange pineapple sherbet from my local ice cream shop—now that would make for a yummy quilt). I know that some of you out there have wondered about the same thing.
Well, now is your chance to find out! Enter our 2011 Quilting Arts Magazine Calendar Contest, with the theme “Flavor of the Month,” and translate your favorite flavors into fiber art. Just click here for the details, or scroll down to read more.
We can’t wait to see which flavors you associate with each month of the year. It’s time to sample some of your favorite dishes—and get sewing!
Here are the details...
You’re invited to enter the 2011 Quilting Arts Magazine Calendar Contest, with the theme “Flavor of the Month.”
Does the thought of July make you want to bite into a cold, sweet slice of watermelon? Does the smell of cinnamon make you long for a piece of Grandma’s Thanksgiving pie? When you think of April, can you taste drops of rain on your tongue? What flavor does each month of the year conjure up for you? Show us in stitch, surface design, fiber, and embellishments your favorite “Flavor of the Month.” The artists who create the 13 winning submissions (one for the cover and 12 for the months) will each win a prize package worth $200.
How it works
- Create up to two original, not previously published, 12" x 12" square embellished art quilts based on the theme of “Flavor of the Month.” The quilt(s) must be backed and bound (anything from a traditional binding to a zigzagged or satin stitch is fine, but the edges must be closed). The quilt(s) should also include a sleeve for hanging, as the winning quilts will be displayed at various quilt and textile shows with Quilting Arts Magazine.
Please note: Because the winning quilts will be photographed at their actual size and used in the 12" x 12" format, all embellishments must remain within the 12" x 12" boundary; unfortunately, submissions that open to a larger format, have a pocket with a hidden artistic element, or that have embellishments that extend beyond the border cannot be accepted.
- Although we welcome all quilting styles, each quilt should be of original design and have some form of embellishment, include mixed media, or have some surface design technique. Examples include—but are not limited to—beadwork, silk screening, fabric painting, thread painting, needle felting, and hand embroidery. Also, though we encourage you to follow your muse, please be aware that quilts that are overall very dark or very shiny do not photograph well, and are thus less likely to be chosen.
- Your entry must be free of any text or images that are protected by copyright unless you have the expressed written permission from the person or institution that holds the copyright and you provide that written permission with your submission.
- Submit three 8" x 10" photographs of each submission, one of the full quilt and two detail shots. To give your submission the best chance of being accurately evaluated, please make sure the photographs are well lit, clear, and are printed on photo-quality paper (not copy paper). Please label each photo with your first and last names, address, phone number, and email address.
Along with your photos, please include a brief narrative explaining your interpretation of our theme, “Flavor of the Month,” as well as the methods and materials used in your quilt(s).
- Deadline for entry: Monday, March 8, 2010. Please note this is a receive-by date. Your photos and descriptions must be in our office no later than March 8th.
- On Monday, April 5, 2010, we will announce the finalists on our website and ask them to ship the actual quilts to our office. Please check the website on that date.
- On Monday, May 10, 2010, we will announce the winners on our website and notify winners by email.
Please note: We reserve the right to keep the 13 winning quilts for display through December 31, 2011.
Send your photos and narrative to:
Quilting Arts Magazine
ATTN: 2011 Calendar Contest
P.O. Box 685
Stow, MA 01775
We cannot accept emailed entries. However, if you have questions about the contest, please email Barbara Delaney at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the address above.
By submitting your quilt(s) to Quilting Arts Magazine you are authorizing Interweave Press LLC to publish your project in the 2011 calendar as well as in other upcoming publications and promotional materials, and on the Quilting Arts website. Interweave Press LLC cannot be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
Good luck and thank you for your participation.