Send us your Stitching Questions

15 Mar 2010

Here at Quilting Arts, we’ve been thinking quite a bit about stitching, a natural component of nearly all art quilters’ work. Whether you’re a machine quilter, hand stitcher, or both, you've probably stumbled upon a few needle-and-thread quandaries at some point during your art making process.

Do you have any stitch-related questions that you’d like to ask your fellow art quilters? They could be about technique, materials, design—you name out. If so, leave a comment. We’d love to help you out!

Comments

coollabtech1 wrote
on 15 Mar 2010 7:17 PM

I have a question about domestic machine free-motion quilting. When I stitch forwards and/or to the right my stitches have poor tension but when I stitch backwards  and/or to the left everything is fine. I assume it has something to do with my machine(Pfaff), or maybe I am sewing at a different speed depending on my direction of sewing. Any one else have this problem?? It drives me crazy...

Thanks

on 15 Mar 2010 7:19 PM

I am trying to stitch on leather. I have a brother CE4000, the leather is about 1/8 in thick, I'm using a 90/14 needle. I have been trying to adjust the tension b/c I am getting a ball of thread underneath, but that is not helping. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thank you!

jabotquilt wrote
on 15 Mar 2010 7:46 PM

ok, how is this for hard... at what point in the quilt process do you decide how you are going to quilt your quilt?   do you wait till the end or do you have some idea when designing your quilt?

cindycoven wrote
on 16 Mar 2010 3:05 PM

For Jabotquilt--There are specail needles for leather that are atleast a 110.  90 is way to small.  Also, It takes a pretty powerful machine or an old one to sew thru leather.  Hope this helps. cindycoven

epleson wrote
on 16 Mar 2010 5:23 PM

Have just finished a Bloom and Blossom Raggedy Jacket, using 5 layers of muslin.  Would like to dye it.  Not impressed with Rit, Tintex, or Dylon.  Any suggestions?  Perhaps an ink? or a paint?  Would like it to be a rich darkish purple.  Thank youy

meta1 wrote
on 17 Mar 2010 3:27 AM

Hi, I have a question. I have a Pfaff machine which has double transport system. When FM quilting should I leave the upper transport active or not.

Mz Mo Lady wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 10:31 PM

I am working on Christmas tree skirts. They are hexagon shaped.. I have all the quilt shapes/squares sewed on, and can't figure out how to finish it.  You have to cut down to the center, thru the sewn  parts, and then put binding tape on it. You have to go down to the center and go around it. And then do the tops of all the hexagon squares all the way around.  How can you put a backing on this and sew the binding tape onto it.  If I can figure this out, I can make all the rest of the tree skirts I want to make.  I just have to know how to finish it off.

on 10 Sep 2010 11:52 PM

Does anyone have a bernina for sale?

payden wrote
on 5 Oct 2010 3:44 PM

I have a Kenmore model 1803. My question is I can't get the cams to make the designs. I have followed the directions in the instruction manual. Can anyone help me?

on 17 Sep 2012 2:58 AM

I would like to know if a cloth is cut diognally, does it give a better fit and fall than when it is cut straight? Please advise.