The first official blog swap

8 May 2006

Mysterious_1 I've been M.I.A. lately, simply because we have our hands in a lot of projects here at headquarters.  One of our endeavors is pulling together artwork for a book on mixed-media ATCs. You heard it here first (well, unless you were in Chicago): Rockport and I are collaborating to bring you 1000 Mixed-Media ATCs, based on the beautiful reader art we've received from past challenges we have hosted. I'd love some more ATCs to consider for the book so I'm crazy enough to host yet another swap!

If you're interested in trading between 1-5 ATCs (and I'll mail you back the same number of ATCs you make), and would like them to be considered for publication, please mail them to:

Quilting Arts
Attn: The Blog Swap
PO Box 685
Stow, MA 01775

Due Date: I must have your ATCs in my graspy, little fingers by May 19, 2006 (I know that's fast but I'm under a deadline.) Please note this is a receive-by date, not a mailing date.

Make sure you list your email in a letter or on the back of your ATC(s) because I'll need that to email you a Grant of Rights form, giving Rockport permission to publish your ATC(s). It would also be wonderful of you to include a brief paragraph on the materials/ techniques used in your ATC.

The sky is the limit for embellishment/ media. Paper ATCs, knitted (or knotted) ATCs, metal ATCs, fabric ATCs (or a mix of the above) are welcomed!

If your ATC(s) make it into the book, I'll be sure to let you know soon!

Looking forward to seeing some amazing creations...

Filed under: ,

Comments

Pat Smith wrote
on 9 May 2006 9:01 AM
Dumb question - but I don't know the answer or I wouldn't be asking it. What is an ATC? Fabric Post Card? Please let me know. I am new to the blog. Thanks. Pat
Patricia Bolton wrote
on 9 May 2006 9:49 AM
An ATC = an artist trading card. Think baseball card-- 2.5" x 3.5" piece of art that you trade with other like-minded, friendly, artistic folks. Janet Ghio wrote a great article in Quilting Arts Issue #13 on them, and subsequently we've had several ATC articles in both magazines as well as reader challenges. Word of warning: they are addictive! Welcome to the blog!
Keron Lee wrote
on 9 May 2006 10:39 AM
I have been dabbling with 'applied materials' to create a relief on the surface of a collaged atc. Paper clay seems to be working the best, however it's drying time & curled up edges are a bit annoying. Have also tryed bees wax, hot melt glue & heavy gel medium.
Pat Smith wrote
on 9 May 2006 7:40 PM
Thank you Patricia (Pat?) Bolton. Some of these abbreviations just slip right through my dear old mind.
Kerrie Guinane wrote
on 10 May 2006 5:52 PM
Great Blog and I'm loving your magazines. Just posted off some ATC's to you for a swap. Hope they make the deadline. Kerrie (Australia)
Lelainia wrote
on 10 May 2006 6:31 PM
Mine are going express post to you from Canada this evening. I really hope they get there in time. I will have to check tracing to make sure they did, unless someone would be so kind as to drop me a quick email when they get there. (I know that's asking alot-you probably get a ton of mail every day!) *fingers crossed!!*
Jody wrote
on 10 May 2006 8:47 PM
Great another ATC swap! I will be sending one tomorrow. I particpated in the swap in Chicago and got some cool ATCs. I have been looking for another opportunity to swap, thank you. Jody
Jean Fengler wrote
on 10 May 2006 8:54 PM
Here is hoping I make the 6th. I have been healing from back surgery gone wrong, and it is a long process. Beading and fabric and needlepoint combined is where I am going. I have been waiting for you to run another something for competition.Any additional information you can post will be invaluable. this may keep me sane!
Jean Fengler wrote
on 10 May 2006 9:17 PM
ps Woould you restate what the aic's are --
Susan wrote
on 12 May 2006 9:15 AM
Decided to come by the web page to renew my subscription and discovered your blog and the swap -- spent yesterday morning creating and walked to the mail box this afternoon -- here's hopin' that my ATC's get to you ontime.
Teresa wrote
on 12 May 2006 10:17 AM
Posting some ATC's for the swap. they should get there in time if USPS cooperates! You guys are gluttons for work!
Elizabeth J Gerstle wrote
on 12 May 2006 1:47 PM
I just traded all my ATC's so will have to get busy this weekend. Is it OK to hand deliver to Stow? - I live in Westford and don't trust the PO to deliver in time Jenni
Patricia Bolton wrote
on 12 May 2006 3:29 PM
Jenni, absolutely! We're open during regular business hours (9-5) and if you tell Geri in the store that the ATCs are for consideration for the book, she'll deliver them to me. If you ask her for a "Grant of Rights" to sign, she'll give you the form to sign granting Rockport the rights to publish them should they make it into the book. I'm here for a couple of days next week, but then my husband (publisher) and I are attending Quilt Market in Minneapolis, so I may miss seeing you if you come later in the week.
Jody wrote
on 12 May 2006 3:30 PM
Kunin Felt??? Hi Patricia, At your ATC class we used Kunin Felt for the ATC base, where can I purchase Kunin Felt? I have checked at Michaels, JoAnn Fabric, and Hobby Lobby they do not carry Kunin Felt. I looked on line, kuninfelt.com lists several products ie: Rainbow Classic Felt, Rainbow Plush Felt, Kreative Kanvas...what did you use? Thank you Jody
Sandra wrote
on 13 May 2006 6:16 AM
I only sent one because I found your blog a little late- here's hoping it makes it across the Atlantic in time :o)
Elizabeth J Gerstle wrote
on 13 May 2006 9:58 AM
Thanks Patricia, What better way to spend a rainy weekend than playing with paper and fabric. Hope to see you next week. Jenni
Sidney Inch wrote
on 14 May 2006 7:44 PM
There is no better way to spend my mothers day than finishing up my cards for this swap. I hope my cards make it on time, I have not yet forgiven myself for missing the Quilting Arts swap a while back. Sidney
darlene koppel wrote
on 16 May 2006 7:28 AM
Oh Gosh - I just saw this announcement about the ATCs today (5/16). I will start working on my ATCs this morning.
Sioux wrote
on 16 May 2006 2:52 PM
Just got back from month-long trip. Made ATC's this morning and will next day them to you today.
darlene koppel wrote
on 16 May 2006 3:43 PM
Somehow, my earlier comments ended up under Sidney Inch's name. I just came back from the Post Office. They said you should receive my envelope by Friday. I was only able to do one ATC (took me 2 hours) because I didn't hear about the swap until today (5/16). Here's hoping, my ATC gets picked. If you need any more ATCs, in the future, let me know and I'll begin creating again.
Patricia Bolton wrote
on 16 May 2006 4:56 PM
You all are the best--thank you so, so much. To date I've received 48 ATCs and I haven't even opened all of the envelopes yet. Darlene, I'll be on the lookout for yours, too, and yes, if anything like this comes up again, you'll hear it here first. I promise to make everyone the same number of ATCs you made me. (I just need a little time to do them--should have them out by July 1st.) We've had record-setting amounts of rain here in Masachusetts but seeing all of these ATCs (and comments) has completely brightened up my day! Thank you thank you thank you...
Elin wrote
on 17 May 2006 10:07 PM
Patricia, Wait - you're making all the cards to trade with us??? I thought we were trading with other readers. The cards I sent are 5 in a series - not the same but very similar. If in fact you are making the same number of cards for each of us as we sent, please count my series as only one card, and do whatever you want with the extras. later, Elin
Jill N. Hamilton-Krawczyk wrote
on 18 May 2006 10:41 PM
I sent 5 ATCs out early this week by Priority Mail... hope they made it there on time! Thanks for the opportunity! :) -Jill N. Hamilton-Krawczyk
Jill N. Hamilton-Krawczyk wrote
on 18 May 2006 10:43 PM
Also, I know that at least 4 or 5 people from my ATC group (The ATC Exchange) sent their cards in too! Yippee!
Sallianne wrote
on 23 May 2006 3:59 PM
Hi Patricia, Just been reading the latest QA. Can you please direct me to City & Guilds. I have gone to their site but can't see how to study with them, here (NY)...or online. Additionally, can you tell me which issue you highlighted the challenge you had with some friends at the Brimfield show when you all had the $25 to spend. Thank you. P.S. Does anyone else put sticky notes all through the magazine for things/artists/events to explore further on the web or is it just me!!
Alicia wrote
on 25 May 2006 12:33 PM
When will the next ATC event be? It sound like alot of fun! I'm new to your blog and just saw you article on the ATC.
Alicia wrote
on 25 May 2006 12:34 PM
Normajean Brevik wrote
on 29 May 2006 11:43 PM
Hello Patricia, I'm tickled pink that several of the gals from my FiberArtTraders yahooo group will be featured in your upcoming book. The gals are really buzzing about this. Have all the release forms gone out via email or are there more to come? Normajean
Jill N. Hamilton-Krawczyk wrote
on 2 Jun 2006 10:53 AM
I was just wondering if there is a way to find out if my cards made it ok. I signed a release form in Chicago at IQA so I'm not sure I will be sent another, but wanted to know if my ATCs arrived. Thanks! Have a great day! :) -Jill
Pat Smith wrote
on 13 Jun 2006 7:07 PM
I sent 3 ATC in - and am quite sure they got there by the 19th. I have not received a release form in my e mail - do you have them? I hope I have to sign a release form - first ATC's - fun. Love this blog. Thanks. Pat
Patricia Bolton wrote
on 17 Jun 2006 10:36 AM
Pat, I'm a little behind in getting out the GoRs because of upcoming deadlines, but you're in the book! Will send you a GoR shortly.
Normajean Brevik wrote
on 10 Aug 2006 8:10 AM
WOW! Love, love, LOVE! The ATCs that I got in the mail!!! Thanks for trading with me Pokey! Hugs, Normajean
Diane Watson wrote
on 1 Feb 2007 8:06 AM
When are you going to do another ATC trade? I missed this one. Just found you blog. Also, do you know any other people who want to trade ATC's or how I can get ahold of them! Thanks!
ROSALIE GRIEDER wrote
on 9 Nov 2007 6:27 AM
I ENTERED MY FIST 3 BLOGS IN INQUIRING MINDS. TITLED FIBER MAGIC IT RELATES TO A TECHNIGUE COMBINDING NEEDLE FELTING AND WINDOWED CARD STOCK. I HAVE BEEN TEACHING THIS TECHNIQUE AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE GOOD RESPONSE. THOUGHT I MIGHT SHARE.TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS GO TO INQUIRING MINDS BLOG. FOR SOME REASON A TERESAS' NAME IS ON MY ENTRY I DO NOT KNOW WHY. I ASSURE YOU I WROTE THE ENTRY IT CAME FROM MY LESSON PLAN