<Blank>2

15 May 2007

Here at Quilting Arts headquarters, we have questions of great, worldly importance that only you, dear reader, can answer:

1. If you had your dream quilting television show (oh…say…one that was called "Quilting Arts"), what exactly would you want to see? We're working closely with potential sponsors and of course want to provide you with content you'll love. For those who asked about DVDs of the episodes and carriage overseas, I'll have an update for you very soon. (You have no idea how thrilled we are to see such an interest in this show!)

2. If you recently got your latest issue of Cloth Paper Scissors, we'd love to hear your thoughts, questions, and responses to the issue. Please email your letters directly to Barbara@quiltingdaily.com.

3. Speaking of Cloth Paper Scissors, we want to know… How exactly do you stick it? We are very curious to learn what your favorite glues, adhesives, and other means are for sticking things together. We've gotten some responses so far and you'd never believe how opinionated some people are about their glues. This is a very sticky subject!

I will soon be doing a call for entries post about some artwork we're looking to receive for a very special upcoming issue. More information coming soon...

Comments

Sandra Spagnuolo wrote
on 16 May 2007 9:19 AM
Hi Patricia, I would love to see some of the articles from CPS and QA demonstrated on the show. For example, I have been trying to make fabric paper and having a live tutorial would be great. Also, I would like to see interviews with the talented artists in your magazines...Kelli Perkins, Beryl Taylor,etc. The artists at QA and CPS are a great source of inspiration. Thank you.
Sandra Porterfield wrote
on 16 May 2007 10:02 AM
I would like to see techniques used in the articles in the magazine demonstrated on TV, such as foiling, bonding, painting techniques. I would like to see products demonstrated on TV also, such as Misty Fuse, Shiva oil sticks.... I am excited about the possibilities!
Marta Hubbard wrote
on 16 May 2007 11:03 AM
I am excited about the TV show coming in December!!!! I can only hope that it will be shown on OPBS here in Oregon. Please see if this can happen!!! I will send an e-mail to OPBS asking them to carry the quilting program from Quilting Arts. Marta Hubbard
Jane LaFazio wrote
on 16 May 2007 1:52 PM
Yes, just show everything you do in the magazines on the tv show! and I love the interview idea, with artists featured in your mag. Oh, oh, and studio tours. VERY exciting stuff! Jane LaFazio
Regina Dunn wrote
on 16 May 2007 2:57 PM
I agree with the first 4 comments; I'd like to see techniques and products demonstrated on the show. Interviews with the artists would be great, too. Maybe you could include showing some museum or gallery quilt exhibits and quilt shows.I emailed my 2 local PBS stations in Orlando and Daytona Beach, Florida with a request to air your show. Keep up the good work.Regina Dunn
Linda Cline wrote
on 16 May 2007 4:20 PM
I would love to see discussions on composition, color, design elements, etc. Quilt artists in progress on a particular work would be wonderful. They could share their inspirations, decisions, changes they made, what they might do to make it better, why they made certain choices.
Sue Banman Sileci wrote
on 16 May 2007 5:51 PM
As a QA fan who lives in Brazil, I'm sad I won't see this program till the DVDs come out. Nonetheless, some day they will come out and I'll be first in line. What interests me is projects that don't require one certain product bought only in one certain place and if you can't find it, tough luck, you can't consider it. If you showed cool project that could be done with this product, that product, a mix of this and that and if you can't find that, some sugar, flour, beer and food coloring mixed together might do the trick. For us international quilters and surface design folks, this would be such a help. And then a little of everything else - inspiring work, upcoming or famous artists, new techniques, cool ideas... Keep up the great work and I can't wait to hear about the show until I get to see it. Sue Banman Sileci
Terri Stegmiller wrote
on 16 May 2007 7:18 PM
I agree with everyone else here, I'd love to see some step-by-steps on some of the things from the mag. Also, maybe show some of the people you've spotlighted doing their work.
Shelley wrote
on 17 May 2007 1:49 PM
Oh, I am very excited about this new show! I would also like to see fusing methods, foiling, using shiva sticks, printing & transferring, stitching, beading & painting on fabric. Which glues to use, etc. Also, of course, the sewing, designing & quilting & binding, or finishing methods of the masterpiece. Basically, everything in the magazine come to life! Yahoo!
Shelley wrote
on 17 May 2007 1:52 PM
One more idea I thought of, would be to ask the artist the idea or inspiration for each piece they work on. Also, I would like to see using various fibers & angelina fibers and sheets to an art quilt. thanks so much!
Shelley wrote
on 17 May 2007 1:53 PM
Various uses for lutradur.....
Dale Anne wrote
on 17 May 2007 11:17 PM
I would LOVE to see some of the work in CPS or QA....maybe demonstrating some of those techniques alittle more. Seeing some of those artists "In Real" instead of just on the pages of the magazines. I just hope & am crossing my fingers that us in Canada will be able to see it somewhere.
Joy Ely wrote
on 18 May 2007 9:49 AM
Ditto to what Dale Anne said above. I would love to see LOTS of how-to to ad to the magazine... go a little deeper than print allows. I am a visual learner. It's frustrating when shows show just enough to whet your appetite, but don't give enough information so you can try it yourself without going through a bunch of extra research. Show me HOW! Tell me what I need. Tell me where to get it. I'd love to see a demo on fabric discharging.
Bush wrote
on 18 May 2007 1:51 PM
Your site is perfect!
Cay Denise wrote
on 20 May 2007 11:06 AM
I'd love to see demonstrations about the various processes of doing photo tranfers on to fabric and how they can be (or have been) incorporated in art quilt pieces. Another idea is to have a demonstration by Jan Beaney and/or Jean Littlejon on just 'how' to create surface texture that gives the impression of natural surfaces (e.g. bark on trees, flowers, etc.) that goes beyond the book. In other words how to sketch (the important features), then how to get from the sketch to a final surface design product. Of course, everyone else's ideas above are great too!
Barbara (Holland - EU) wrote
on 22 May 2007 5:24 AM
I agree with all of the above!! Especially with your reader from Brazil - it would be great to know what alternatives could be used for certain products. Can't wait for the DVDs to come out!
Cheryl wrote
on 22 May 2007 11:51 AM
The magazine is on the right track with the various exercises on how to incorporate the article to your own work. I'd like to see more of this concept flushed out on tv. Also, there's a lot of artists we admire for their signature styles, so a step-by-step from artists like these is helpful. More on the elements and principles of art and examples of fiber art work using them, for those of us without traditional art backgrounds. Since the work is dimensional, show the sides and/or backs, since you can on TV! Would love the new radical craft movement ideas to be incorporated: alternative materials (paper, plastic, recycled), modern twists on classic patterns, etc. I'm so excited to see what you come up with!
Beverly wrote
on 23 May 2007 11:47 PM
Your magazine is fantastic---I would just love to see in-depth interviews, and show-me-how projects step by step. Traditional patterns/projects are nice, but your art quilt projects just sing. I absolutely agree with others above that alternate materials are important since many of us live in remote areas of the world for a couple of years at a time. Keep up the great work, and bring it to the screen--I think it's time for a bigger TV and digital at that no matter where I am!
Donna wrote
on 24 May 2007 2:02 PM
I love both of your magazines and can't wait for the TV version although I probably won't be able to see it because I work all day. The DVD idea is great or maybe some bits of it done via webcast. I just started writing for a quilting blog to help me get motivated to get things done. As far as glues go, the gals over at www.craftcritque.com did a collection of articles on their favorite glues/adhesives for paper crafting.
Paulette Insall wrote
on 27 May 2007 8:50 PM
So many good suggestions already! I too love seeing how-to demonstrations...I learn best visually and you can't see all the subtle nuances of how an artist works in just step by step pictures. Artist interviews are always a favorite as well...especially when you get a peek into their studio and their process. I'm a mixed media artist, so I mostly read CPS, but every so often something on the cover of QA catches my eye. Both are such wonderful magazines and always so full of inspiration and information.
Chloe wrote
on 29 May 2007 10:13 PM
Tag! You're it! http://www.tangledthread.com/apparently-im-it/
Sunnie wrote
on 12 Jun 2007 9:48 AM
The TV show is a wonderful idea! There is no shortage of topics...and what I want to see is the best camera work you can possible set up. Take "Sewing With Nancy" as a model. There are always different angles and the camera gets right down at the point of action, with machines, hands, etc. hardly ever getting the way. I want to see exactly what to do, without any skipped steps. I also love to see artists' studios and hear them talk about their own work. Thanks & good luck!
Geneen Granger wrote
on 12 Jun 2007 11:01 AM
WOW, is all I have to say about a TV show!! The magazine provides so much on so many new products, some of which I can't even figure out, that I'd like to see a lot on these products and how they are used. Reading instructions doesn't always work.
Patricia Bolton wrote
on 17 Jun 2007 8:40 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded with such thoughtful posts! Your feedback is so helpful, and when we get closer to the taping (September) I'll be able to share a bit more of what we're planning, what stations are picking it up, etc. In the meantime, I'm going to be hosting a challenge soon for the design of the logo for the show. (See the little TV set from a couple of posts ago? I'm looking for someone to quilt a really colorful version of this. I'll post the particulars very soon.)
Suzanne G in NC wrote
on 5 Sep 2007 7:52 PM
1. A "Fabric Lab" setting where guests and the host or "regular folks" play with the workshop techs from the magazine, classes at various venues and their (the guests') books; 2. Cool "outside the box" experiments with traditional quilting techs like showing your stitches when quilting, using threads that show up (beautifully) rather hiding "in the ditch"!, beginning a project with traditional rules and gradually allowing a "mad quilter" cut it up in wild ways, free motion embroidery, applique in new ways, paint the quilt fabric. . .; 3. A studio audience could give their ideas or next steps like the traditional "build a story" car game - only apply the same idea to "building fabric art". I can't wait to see the show here in North Carolina where I devour the magazine every issue. Thanks Suzanne
Kat wrote
on 4 Jan 2008 3:41 PM
My mother has passed away recently and I want to have her clothes made into quilts. I am planning on having children and i wish to give these quilts to them as a keepsake of their grandmother. I do not have the first clue how to quilt. I do not want to mess them up. I can't just use a new piece of material. I would need someone in Daytona Beach, Orlando, Port Richey, Clearwater, or any neighboring city in Florida. Plz email freakykatz@hotmail.com