Oh the weather outside is delightful

17 Jun 2007

The calendar says the summer solstice will blessedly be upon us in a few days, but in Editorial Land, this can only mean one thing: How are those holiday issues shapin' up? Admittedly I'm still thawing out from last winter, but while I'm deadheading flowers and grilling veggie burgers it's my job as an editor to think six months ahead and wonder:

• Do you flex your creative muscle to create your own unique holiday gifts or seasonal home decorations?
• Do you make your own holiday cards of fabric and/or paper?
• Do you quilt your own tree skirts, table runners, or the like?
• Is there a particular holiday ritual/gift you are famous among your friends and family for?
• What fabric or mixed-media projects/ techniques in the winter keep you from getting cabin fever?
•Do you have a creative and/or funny way of putting together and disseminating those yearly family updates?
•Or, is there a project you'd love to complete for the holidays or winter? And if so, what?

If you haven't heard/read/seen/ the news our submission guidelines have significantly changed for Quilting Arts and Cloth Paper Scissors, so please have a look and send us your creative ideas.

News:
There are a couple of events on the horizon that I wanted to share:

Festival of Quilts
Birmingham, UK
August 16-19, 2007

If you are planning to be in Birmingham in August for the Festival of Quilts, I'm facilitating a talk on Friday morning based on S.A.Q.A. (Studio Art Quilts Associates) and their latest exhibit, "Transformations" as well as talking about art quilting in general. Please come and join me if you're going to be attending the Festival. This will be an interactive discussion that promises to be both informative and inspiring.

International Quilt Festival (November 1 – 4)
Thursday, November 1
Luncheon Lecture

I am preparing for a very fun event at the International Quilt Festival in Houston this fall, a luncheon lecture based on our "Surviving the Runway with Cloth Paper Scissors® Challenge" that we've hosted at Make It University!™ for the past year. I am orchestrating the entire event to music, and please believe me when I say this will be a riotous couple of hours filled with creativity and laughter. This Thursday luncheon is during some of the busiest show hours on the floor—too crowded to get any significant shopping done––so why not join me for lunch? I'm working with some of the best companies in the industry to obtain a line up of terrific door prizes for the winners, including…drum roll… a needle-felting machine courtesy of Huskvarna Viking.

Any questions on the above events feel free to email me.

Filed under:

Comments

SAndra Spagnuolo wrote
on 17 Jun 2007 11:42 PM
Hi Patricia. Christmas already! I am just getting the opportunity to enjoy this beautiful summer weather. For the holidays I make my own Christmas cards using my handmade paper. I choose a theme and aim to create something that can be repeated. I also attempt to create one new ornament for the holidays and make up a batch for family and friends. My husband's family also does a gift exchange and I look forward to the challenge of coming up with something unique. A few years ago, I created a playing card deck with sports related bodies and family members heads. We all had a good laugh. Every year I promise myself I will start earlier, maybe knit some gifts or finish my cards before the December rush. But I must admit I have never considered Christmas in June! Enjoy!
Jane LaFazio wrote
on 18 Jun 2007 8:05 PM
For years I've created our christmas cards. Inside is the (hopefully) clever, fascinating news of the year, and the outside is artwork by me or my husband. We usually alternate years. For a number of years, I made the cards so they could hang on the christmas tree. Always paper.
Donna Funnell wrote
on 19 Jun 2007 1:58 PM
Hi Pokey, Every year I make a small gift for each of the women in my family. It started with ornaments in the early years but our trees got too crowded. I switched to small art pieces, such as postcards individualized by geographical areas, e.g. Saskatoon, where my mother was born. One year I made dolls for everyone. Last year, I made earrings and small felt pouches covered in threads under tulle and free motion stitched. I have been making and selling greeting cards decorated with small freestyle embroideries on hemp fabric. These are my most popular items.Now everyone gets a personalized card. By the way, Sandra S (above comment) live within 10 minutes drive from each other and have met at Sandra's art show last year. Quilting Arts brought us together! That's all for now, Pokey!
Julie wrote
on 26 Jun 2007 8:41 PM
Hi Patricia, I make handcrafted cards every Christmas and any other event I give a card for. As for material, anything is fair game as far as I am concerned. I have made cards whose cover had a removable polymer clay ornament with glass beads embedded in it integrated within the design of the entire card front...that one was a big hit. I have done others all paper but still with some removable ornamental type thing. I like there to be some keepsake for the people who usually just pitch the cards into the garbage but would keep an ornament. I am known at my kids schools for my mixed media gifts for the teachers, principals, and others, they claim to truly love them and always want to see whatever I am working on so I keep dreaming up things to make them. My kids too love making cards and gifts for others, last year they made dozens of cards and pictures for the people in a nursing home where we have a relative being cared for. To see the joy on the faces of these people, some who never have visitors, it was truly priceless. I used to be an avid quilter, but I have degenerative bone disease, terrible neck and shoulder pain, and the quilting is just too hard on me.....God I miss it.....I still have an insane fabric stash....gotta find a way to use more of it some other way!!! Julie
Maggie wrote
on 27 Jun 2007 11:23 PM
Hello there. I am also thinking about Christmas and making gifts. My extended family tried for years to simplify, and we've finally achieved it. We have a $25 cap for gifts so we are under less pressure. Most of us make at least some of our gifts. Last year, I made a set of those therapeutic heating pads for back, neck, shoulders. My sister in law is studying massage and I made them for her, with washable, removable covers, using lavender harvested from my garden. I then got the idea to make decorated mini versions of these. I called them hand warmers, because you could heat them in the microwave and hold them between for your palms. I used lots of decorative stitches on my sewing machine and made an interesting pattern. I stuck with Batiks, my favorits, but sometimes pieced them. These made nice little gifts for the ladies. I am actually looking for ideas for this year, so I am anxious to see what others say. Maggie
Zoe wrote
on 6 Jul 2007 3:31 PM
Hi, I don't seem to be able to download the pattern for a triptych which is provided on the challege page ??? Is there a link I have missed ???
Martha Reyburn wrote
on 10 Jul 2007 7:57 PM
I have been experimenting with book origami after seeing a segment on the B. Original show on DIY. Instead of leaving the books in their undecorated natural folded state, I decided to spray paint them. First I used red, let it dry, then gold, then silver, then a little bit of blue. It looked beautiful, almost irridescent. The project was almost free, only paying $1 per can of spray paint and the book was free. It will look nice on a table or on a wall.
Vianna wrote
on 25 Jul 2007 12:30 PM
I'm wondering if you can have a Column at the magazine website called SHOW US YOUR BLOG where quilting artists can provide a link to their blogs - if they wish to share with the readers their works in progress, technique tutorials, pieces of their lives and whatever else artists of all persuasions share in this manner. I follow a number of blogs that offer endless knowledge and inspiration - Just an idea, Warm Florida wishes, Vianna
Rebecca wrote
on 26 Jul 2007 11:09 AM
Pokey, I make something special every year for all the women in my family. One year I made them all purses, one year was ornaments, one year batik pillows, and last year hand painted silk scarves. I guess I better get busy thinking up this years homemade gifts! Rebecca