It's a Wrap!

29 Sep 2007

We just finished taping the first series of Quilting Arts for PBS, and I have a few more pictures to share with you...

Dunnewold

The queen of complex cloth, Jane Dunnewold. She'll appear in our very first episode and I'm feeling pretty lucky that she'll be setting the tone!

Speaking of Lucky...

Lucky_jane

We have Susan ("Lucky") Shie, too, in this series. She'll be showing us how she gets copious amount of writing onto her diary quilts.

Jeannie

Jeannie Sumrall Ajero demo'd a neat digital technique to create her beautiful landscape quilt that celebrates her trip to the far east.

Since I was a bit shorter than many of the guests, want to know how I appear so tall while sitting down?

Bye_bye_set

Check out the yellow pages next to the printer. My very own high-tech booster seat!

Quilting Arts will begin airing the very end of this year. Check your local PBS stations the end of December to see when/if it will air in your area. At this time I don't have information on Quilting Arts airing in international markets, but if that changes, I'll let you know. When DVDs become available I'll also share any information I have from Kathie Stull Productions--owner/producer of the show who will have them available.

In gratitude, I'd like to thank the following people for making Quilting Arts TV a reality:

First and foremost, Kathie Stull (owner/producer). Thank you for all of the hard work you did on every facet of the production, and for the faith you had in Quilting Arts Magazine and its community. I'd also like to thank Kathie for being so supportive of me as a host, my first time out of the gate.

Interweave Press-- Also for having faith in a girl like me. (We did it!)

My editorial  and design staff: Barbara, Cate, Helen, and Larissa.  For being such a supportive sounding board as they listened to me natter on and fret before I left. Also for helping collect props for the set and design board, for shopping for vintage items (and I know that was painful), keeping me organized, stitching those adorable quilt blocks, and for holding down the fort while I was away.

Mike Murphy (director) and the video-editing, sound, and camera crew. They were all so kind, funny, and patient with me--no matter how many takes it took to get some of those closes.

Katherine (Kathie's assistant)-- For always being such a calm, assuring presence, for making sure I was hydrated, and double-checking I didn't goof on wardrobe changes.

Karen, the talented make-up artist. She made us all feel and look like rock stars, and every day she left us presents in the make-up room so we'd stay fresh throughout the day. (Photo by Pam RuBert)

Dsc03841

All of the wonderful underwriters who made this possible, many of whom came to the set and shared funny and candid conversations in the green room with me. (And I promise, what happens in the green room, stays in the green room.)

The quilt artists who enthusiastically said yes when I asked them if they would want to join us for the first season. You all made this so much fun. Thank you!

John-- For taking Saturday afternoon to fix all of the toilet dispensers in the house and for cleaning out the fridge. I honestly didn't realize we had salad dressing in there...from 2002.

And last but not least, our animal children for giving me a laugh when I got home. I landed late last night, went straight to bed, and woke up to this site this morning (it's wonderful to be home):

Filed under: ,

Comments

Wendy wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 5:09 AM
Beautiful video, your pets are as fab as you and John. Have you thought of putting out your series on dvd so that us Brits and others can watch too? Pretty please......
Natalya wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 12:36 PM
Thank you Pokey! What a wonderful experience it was, and a delight to meet everyone. Can't wait to see the whole season! And I blogged about it too - www.artbynatalya.blogspot.com Thank you!
Lisa wrote
on 17 Sep 2007 2:18 PM
I'm excited about the new show and it's great to read updates. Can't wait to see it! (PS: Love that cat.)
Christy Hydeck wrote
on 18 Sep 2007 2:32 PM
Your Cat & Dog -- Not only look like my callie & Morgan (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrysti/sets/72057594079067851/)..but act alike too! They are always grooming one another, one of my favorite sites!
Joyce wrote
on 18 Sep 2007 4:41 PM
I'm so excited about your new show coming up. Keep us updated!!
Michele Muska/EZ Quilting/Wrights wrote
on 19 Sep 2007 11:29 AM
Going to Beachwood Studios to tape 2 segments for the Quilting Arts TV Show was really exciting. The studio staff was amazing... and it was wonderful to have my makeup done by Karen. We were all a bit nervous, seeing that we had never done this before, but we made it through. I did some celebrating that night!!!! Pokey, it was so inspiring to meet your guests and see their incredible artwork!!! You and Kathy are a great team and I wish the show much success. (I know it will be) I have to say being included in this adventure was and is a highlight for me! thanks, Michele ps Helen, I should have probably had you edit this first!!!
Jane LaFazio wrote
on 22 Sep 2007 10:55 AM
Wow Pokey! Life in the fast lane, huh? Congratulations on all that you've accomplished and how far you've come!! Now, a TV star! Lookin' forward to seeing the first season (and expecting your call for me to appear in the second season :-) Hope to see you at the SAQA conference in Philadelphia! Thanks for the quality and beauty you've brought to all of our lives with your high standards and great eye for all things beautiful. And, love the sweetie pets!
Pam Waller wrote
on 23 Sep 2007 5:51 AM
Desperate that we should have your programme in UK! We are so deprived of this sort of creativity in mags and TV here, and especially so in Scotland where our numbers are just - fewer!
Violette wrote
on 25 Sep 2007 12:21 AM
Congratulations Pokey! I'm so excited for you! You're really come a long way and worked so diligently.....sure hope we get the show up here in Canada! Cheers, Violette
Bonnie Smith wrote
on 30 Sep 2007 2:05 PM
Congratualations and I just can't wait!
Mary Ann wrote
on 1 Oct 2007 3:24 PM
Pokey is the Hostess with the Mostest!!! She made everyone's spot smooth sailing! Mary Ann
Robin Ferrier wrote
on 1 Oct 2007 10:24 PM
Congratulations on your show! Thank you so much for all your hard work in furthering the interests of art quilting! I can't wait to see the series. I hope it's offered in my area.
Tisa Witham wrote
on 5 Oct 2007 6:35 PM
Congratulations! I hope we get it up here in AK ; you have some of my favs! When can we expect to see this aired?