Opportunities Knock

27 Mar 2008

Wanted! We have some very exciting publicity and publishing opportunities that I wanted you, dear blog reader, to find out about first. (Many of these aren’t even on the submissions pages yet on our website.)

F_h

Go Green Quilt by Frances Holliday Alford

1. Quilting Arts is actively seeking submissions for embellishment, mixed-media quilting, stitching, and anything related to art quilts “going green.” These could be quilts made of recycled materials, quilts related to preserving our environment, or quilts made of eco-friendly materials. If you have a submission idea and have pictures of your work, please email low-resolution GIF or JPEGs along with a query letter to us ASAP. If you are an art quilter who would like to be profiled, if you have surface design, embellishment ideas, stitching (machine, hand, long arm) to share, we also want to hear from you ASAP.

2. Have you had a chance to get your hands on the Cloth Paper Scissors Studios issue yet? (Probably not as it’s not supposed to be available on the stands until April 1st, but some stores are putting it out early.) We want to hear your thoughts on this issue—and being the nosey bunch we are—also take a peek into your studio space. If you want us to see your space, have a studio storage tip to share, ideas for studio articles, or have an extreme studio makeover story, by all means spill to us.

3. We will soon begin working on our Quilting Arts GIFTS issue available in September. We are actively seeking submissions that relate to the following: fabric art for home décor, quilted items that celebrate the season, art quilts with patterns, ideas for fabric stash and parties and quilt gatherings among friends, stitched or quilted gift ideas, stitched journals, holiday cards, needle-felted gifts, wearable art with a seasonal twist…you get the idea. If you would like to be published in our GIFTS issue, send us your ideas and pictures.

4. Watch out soon for our Cloth Paper Scissors Tea Party challenge. Okay, that was a teaser. There’s no link. I’m just checking to see if you’re still paying attention.

5. Cloth Paper Scissors is currently looking for the following: techniques for sketchbook keeping, ideas for handmade books, working with texture gels, recycling clothing and everyday items into art, thoughts on art and business, and mixed-media jewelry.

6. If you are an artist that has been published in Cloth Paper Scissors and would be interested in being a part of our Open Studios at Make It University! at the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach, please email Barbara Delaney. If you are a mixed-media business that wants to apply for a vendor booth at Make It University!(TM), please let Quilts Inc. know.

7. Lastly, don’t forget about our Go Green Quilt Challenge, deadline May 1st. Above is a Go Green entry we received from Frances Holliday Alford. Who knew dryer lint, candy wrappers, and Tyvek envelopes could be transformed into something so beautiful? (Frances has a knack for making beautiful things. Be sure to see her article in the June/July issue of Quilting Arts.)

If you plan on coming to Chicago for Make It University, please let me know in the comments area. You're hearing it here first, but we'll be taping segments for Quilting Arts TV on Saturday at the show. It will certainly be an exciting time, and we have some wonderful segments with guest artists planned. See you soon…

Comments

Jeanne Schaap wrote
on 27 Mar 2008 9:31 PM
I will definitely be at the Quilt Festival in Chicago and Make It University--my favorite area of the convention floor! Jeanne
Juanita Olson wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 8:30 AM
Just received my copy of Studios. I'm drooling. Loved Pokey's studio makeover. Also enjoyed the "you can make this" projects. On my website www.thedimpledquilter.blogspot.com I show my version of the yo yo pincushion using the instructions from the magazine. I also will be in Chicago. Your section with vendors and demos are my favorite place. Juanita Olson
Kelli Perkins wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 8:54 AM
The Studios issue is absolutely to die for! I've been showing it around to everyone. It's reminiscent of Where Women Create but with such a broad range of studio sizes and ideas. I loved seeing my favorite artists' spaces. Thanks for a WONDERFUL special issue!
Sidney Inch wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 9:09 AM
Thanks for all your hard work. I am looking forward to the Make It U is my favorite place to be in Chicago. Meeting artists in the Open Studios Area is fantastic.
Cheryl Sleboda wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 11:10 AM
I will be at the Chicago show, looking forward to seeing you there. Haven't picked up Studios yet, the book store trip is planned for this weekend. Can't wait!
Marilyn League wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 11:16 AM
The Studio Issue is great. I am constantly rearranging my space and now I have some better ideas to make it easier to work in. As far as adding a "green" element, the two old kitchen cabinets in my attic are certain to have a spot in my space this summer. Of course, after they've had their makeover.
Susan Reading wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 4:02 PM
Make-It-University is the first schedule I look for when the IQF-Chicago catalog arrives!...It's been THE place to check out, meet up or spend an hour learning something new at the festival since my friend and I discovered it during our first trip to Rosemont, 3 yrs ago. Tried to find the Studios issue today, but no luck. My husband and I remodeled our house late last year and I now have my own little art studio that needs some help...I'm looking forward to the storage and organization ideas I'm hoping to see there.
Jennifer Morlock wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 5:55 PM
I am counting the days until Make-It-University! It was the most exciting part of my trip last year! I was thrilled to meet Debbi Crane and Cheryl Prater. They were so kind and excellent teachers! They have encouraged me to enter my work in various shows and challenges. Thanks for such a wonderful expereience and for the best magazines ever!
Kayla wrote
on 28 Mar 2008 7:47 PM
I am attending the Make It U in Chicago. It will be my first time at a quilt show and I am psyched to meet all of the great mixed media artists!!! My paper quilt submission will also be in the gallery.
Jane LaFazio wrote
on 30 Mar 2008 6:57 PM
I am really impressed with the studio issue. It's always fascinating to see inside people's homes, and even more fun to see their studios! Some of the artists are soooo very organized. yikes! And some have such HUGE studio spaces! thank goodness for wonderful Lesley Riley, reminding us that we can make art anywhere, including our bedrooms.
waterrose wrote
on 1 Apr 2008 1:54 AM
Oh how exciting...I'm gathering up all of my creations to submit! And, I can't wait to get the studio issue!
Jody wrote
on 1 Apr 2008 10:59 AM
I am planning on going to the Chicago Show and Make it Uniservsity, my favorite place at the show.
Lynne Pfeffer wrote
on 6 Apr 2008 9:55 PM
Hi Pokey. I'll be at Make it University in Chicago. Looking forward to seeing/meeting all the artists at Open Studios. And looking forward to shopping for new products. Am enjoying the Studios magazine. I wish the size of each studio had been in the articles.
Bernie Berlin wrote
on 7 Apr 2008 12:56 AM
I'll be there!!! Can't wait to see everyone!! PLease give Sophie a big hug from me:)
Susan s wrote
on 8 Apr 2008 5:38 PM
I will be in Chicago and hope that I can get into a Make it U session at a time I am not in class. And if you ever need a studio for an extreme makeover I will volunteer mine.
MSusan Gamble wrote
on 17 Jun 2008 10:50 PM
My comment doesn't pertain to this blog, but I don't know where else to ask questions. I'm an artist working mainly in oils and acrylics, but I recently fell in love with both Cloth Paper Scissors and Quilting Arts and subscribe to both. I have a limited budget and would like information concerning what supplies to buy first....how to start. I did purchase "Beginners Guide to Machine Embroidery" tonite, but there seem to be so many different types of paints, yarns, and interesting looking things to use as embellishments, etc. If someone could take a few moments to share some tips on how to start and what to buy, I would really appeciate. You are all so talented, I am in awe. Hoping I can use my talents to begin creating. Thanks in advance....
Debbie wrote
on 25 Feb 2009 1:52 AM
Looking forward to you updating your blog......