Art quilter Mary Stori tagged me earlier this spring and as I just enjoyed a three-day weekend, I had a little time on my hands to finally put to paper a few bits about me. (And if you want to skip all that and jump to Quilt/ Collage news and the Fat Quarter Giveaway, move along to #7!)
1. An embarrassing fact: Most women love chocolate, but for me––and please, let’s not explore this too deeply, people––it’s Fluff. Given a full jar of the gooey, marshmellow-y stuff, I will scrape it clean.
2. I am capable of spending money before I even get out of bed in the morning. This is because while I slowly wake, my favorite thing to do is browse iTunes and download music. I love classic rock, alternative, indie, and I also (coincidentally) recommend Mad Pokey Radio on Live 365, Internet radio---––a lead from my super hip photographer, Larry Stein who always has the coolest music playing while he shoots the art for Quilting Arts and Cloth Paper Scissors.
I listen to music all day at work and change my playlists frequently, combining old and new tunes. My current playlist on my iPod:
“Do Do”- Big Spaceship (This has got to be one of the silliest songs around, but it’s got such a chipper tune, it makes me smile!)
“I Love to Move in Here”- Moby
“Fool’s Gold” - The Stone Roses
“Do You See My Love”- The Dirtbombs
“Young Folks” Peter, Bjorn, & John
“Weird Fishes/Arpeggi”- Radiohead
“If It’s In My Mind, It’s On My Face”- Seal
“Radio Nowhere”- Bruce Springsteen
“Don’t You Evah”- Spoon
“(This is for the) Better Days” - The Bees
3. I often watch movies while simultaneously reading a book. I read a lot of fiction, and in case the movie is bad, I always like to have a book to fall back on.
4. We have an adopted rescue cat we named Dickens who weighs nearly as much as our adopted Golden Retriever mix, Sophie. The vet from Tufts University Animal Hospital thinks Dickens has got some kind of wild cat in him, but he’s the gentlest of creatures:
A shot with Dickens and Louie (who thought my bin of Westminster fabrics would make for a comfy bed):
5. I have a tendency to re-watch and dissect movies and HBO series over and over again while I'm in my studio. (Some may call this obsessive behavior!) Favorite flicks and series I watch include The Sopranos, American Beauty, The Departed, Little Miss Sunshine, The Office, Fargo, Goodfellas, Sideways, the Godfather trilogy, Best In Show, Bridget Jones, Pride and Prejudice (the BBC/A&E version, thank you very much), Calendar Girls, and of course, Sex in the City. (Is anybody else besides me counting down the days until the movie is out?)
6. I recently returned from Quilt Market, and here's a snap of Susan Brubaker Knapp and myself in the Quilting Arts booth.
Susan's beautiful calendar quilt will grace the month of April in our 2009 Quilting Arts Calendar. For more Quilt Market news, check the blog of up-and-coming fabric artist Melissa Avarinos from Cape Cod, or the read the story of Kathy Mack seeing Eddie Vedder outside her hotel in Portland. (Lucky girl!)
7. Speaking of movies and music, the International Quilt Festival/Long Beach show in July will be featuring an exhibit entitled, "The Silver Screen." For those who missed out on entering a quilt, here's an opportunity to celebrate your love of movies and all things entertaining. We will be featuring the ultimate ATC trade in the Make It University!™ section and strongly encourage you to bring ATCs with any kind of entertainment theme: movies, music, TV shows, favorite quotes or lyrics. For this particular ATC trade, there is no limit to the number of ATCs you can bring/ trade. You are invited to make these ATCs from paper, fabric, both, or of other media. If you have 50 ATCs, you can trade all of them, so I hope you get busy over the next couple of months and plan to come to the show!
Fat Quarter Giveaway
Being an 80s movie junkie, the first five people to correctly tell me the names of the movies that correspond to the following quotes will win a stack of fat quarters that I will ship to you. (Be sure to leave your email in the comments area and I’ll email you for your address.)
1. “Nobody puts Baby in the corner.” (I’m starting off easy.)
2. “I want my two dollars!”
3. “Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” (Another easy one.)
4. “It is so nice when you can sit with someone and not have to talk.”
And from one of my absolute favorite flicks…
5. “They're kissing again. Do we have to read the kissing parts?"
Or another line from the same movie:
“Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The End.”