Breaking News! New STUDIOS issue

30 May 2008

You are hearing it here first! Due to the reception of our first STUDIOS issue we are publishing a second edition, which will be available this October. I am really so thrilled to share this news with you. Cate Prato, our features editor, will be Editor of this edition and she is very much looking forward to putting this issue together.This second edition will feature a wider variety of studios--from collage and quilting to weaving and beading. Studios will vary greatly in size, from rented outside studio space to tiny in-home closet studios.

If you have anything studio-related to share, please follow the general submissions protocol on our website and send along images of your studios and ideas to us.

I welcome comments in the comments area about anything more you'd like to see in our second edition of STUDIOS. Also, if you have a picture of pets in your studio on your blog, please give your link in the comments section so we can all have a peek. Hope you are as excited by this news as we are.

Comments

Cheryl wrote
on 30 May 2008 4:41 PM
That's great news. The current STUDIOS issue has me reworking some things in my studio. Maybe I'll post that on my blog this weekend!
Lemon Tree Tami wrote
on 30 May 2008 6:27 PM
That's great news! I was just re-reading the Studios issue last night. There's one thing that I wish you would feature in the new one. That would be how to convert an inexpensive desk into a sewing table with a hole for the sewing machine to drop down into. (Or at least feature someone's studio who had one.) :-)
Judy Rys wrote
on 31 May 2008 8:37 AM
My fabric wall consists of 1-2 yard lengths of fabric rolled jellyroll style and stacked on end. It is sorted from light to dark and is so densly packed that the shelves inbetween disappear. During my studio remodel, I posted some photos on my blog: http://www.judyrys.blogspot.com/2007/12/studio-remodel.html
Kudzu Fire wrote
on 31 May 2008 9:45 AM
congrats!
Zoe wrote
on 2 Jun 2008 8:22 AM
Good news about the second issue. I would like to see more storage ideas for SMALL rooms. My studio is VERY small. It shares space with a fish tank and spare bed. So not only types of boxes but furnature ideas too !
Vicky wrote
on 2 Jun 2008 3:13 PM
http://catinthebatt.blogspot.com/2006/10/hey-look-at-this.html I have many pix of cats, but boiled it down to this page...
Melanie wrote
on 2 Jun 2008 10:01 PM
floor plans. My only complaint about the first issue was that it was hard to visualize how all the innovative bits and pieces fit together to form a room. oh, and some more brave souls like Lesley Riley who let us see what the room looks like when she's working in it (as opposed to when it's all dolled up 'cause company's coming).
Cheryl wrote
on 3 Jun 2008 6:38 PM
I finally posted my studio on my blog, but no pictures of animals as my beloved cats aren't allowed in there due to one previously eating a bunch of string. I'll second the floor plan idea too.
happy zombie wrote
on 4 Jun 2008 7:30 PM
My wonderful friend Tami (Lemon Tree Tami) alerted me to this... must get my paws on the first issue your Studios! I have a small space (10' x 10') - so I made my space go UP instead of OUT. My center work table is free standing and can be removed/moved in under 10 minutes to make my studio into a guest room. Moved worktable + Airbed + visiting family = guestroom. I have some pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thehappyzombie/sets/72157594239808821/ and some scattered on my blog as well.
Marilyn League wrote
on 5 Jun 2008 5:55 PM
Ditto the floor plans. Tell us more about your new book that's coming soon.
Pokey wrote
on 11 Jun 2008 10:33 AM
I completely agree about the floor plans (and square footage). As far as the Quilting Arts book, it should be available some time in November. It'll have some "best of" from Quilting Arts plus new material. I haven't seen the proofs yet and I'm eager to see it. Thanks for asking!
AlteredRoute wrote
on 17 Jun 2008 6:52 PM
I have a spare bedroom turned studio, about 12 x 12, that I'm just about finished with. There's a pic of my sweet Stampede there too. Connie http://alteredroute.blogspot.com/2008/05/i-live-in-my-own-little-world.html
Carol Sloan wrote
on 17 Jun 2008 8:21 PM
Hi! I had just sent pics to Cate showing how my husband re-did an old desk to make it in to a sewing machine cabinet! If you have time to look, Cate may still have the pictues...We'd be glad to do a step by step instruction or explanation of what he did. Thanks Carol Sloan
royce Vaughn wrote
on 21 Jun 2008 2:37 PM
I was in the middle of converting 2 messy rooms into one neet room when I got the last issue of studio and it helped me a lot. Fabric can get out of hand so quickly. I am new to the craft and have 3 machines and a cutting table, bookshelf of fabric and little piles that scoot out into the floor from time to time. I'll post my room on my blog soon.
Carole Egler wrote
on 21 Jun 2008 2:48 PM
My favorite notion is my sketchpad. I work out ideas and/or alternative solutions and can visualize my creative moments and apply to my project. If I need color to capture an idea, I use colored pencils, fabric markers or paintsticks. I also date it so it makes a good reference later. I love your screen printed fabrics and I'd be honored to win in the drawing. Is the Studio issue available yet?
Debi Wilson wrote
on 23 Jun 2008 2:05 PM
My favorite gadget is my clover needle threader. Now I can hand embellish applique, beads and trinkets without going cross eyed! I even bought another one in the event something should happen to my first one! I could not imagine my life without it!