QA TV: A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Studio

25 Aug 2008

I landed in Cleveland this morning and as the tires hit the tarmac, I thought of doing a reckless thing: of not going directly to the QA TV studio set to drop off my supplies and hang my clothes, but rather stopping somewhere I have wanted to go for nearly two decades.

When I saw what rental car was assigned to me (and I burst out laughing)…

Mustang

And when I started the car, The Doors “L.A. Woman” was blaring on the radio, I knew it was fate: God was telling me to take an hour for myself and go to…you guessed it…

THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Hall

Sign

Oh, what a TOTAL RUSH it was to be here. Never one capable of mastering a poker face, I knew I had a silly grin and couldn’t curb my exhilaration when I handed my ticket to the attendant because he told me, “We love having people like you here!”

I had a mere 40 minutes to cruise the various exhibits, and it wasn’t nearly enough time to take in such an incredible place.

They had an interesting exhibit/ kiosk called “Influences” where with a touch screen you could listen to what bands have influenced each other. For instance, you tap U2 and two key influences (Patti Smith and Television) would pop up. Then I tapped one band I really like, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Flea relayed what a huge role George Clinton played in his musical development. Well, having listened to a little Parliament in my day, it makes total sense, but I had never made the connection.

I then whisked through the Elvis exhibit to stop and gape at Jimi Hendrix’s drawings. (Entirely self-taught, he was a talented graphic artist from a very young age.) I paused at the Billy Joel quote on the wall (“If you’re not loving what you are doing, you’re doing something wrong”) then marveled at the 1973 jacket worn by John Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) for their concert film, “The Song Remains the Same.” (All aspiring Bernina designers should really look to rock couture to see some of the outrageous, out-of-the-box garments produced!) Then of course, there was the Thriller jacket worn by Michael Jackson, which brought me back to my tween  days of inviting all my neighborhood girlfriends over as we tried to master the Thriller dance. The grand finale was going up a few flights to gape at The Wall tribute––truly frightening in a Tim Burton kind of way.

All in all it was so fun, and I even got some stranger to take a picture of me to prove that I really was here.

Me

And as my eyes are closed, I’ll never be as cool as this guy…

Rocker

This entire experience has me scheming the next Quilting Arts challenge, and yes, it will be musically oriented.

I then went to the studio where they’d been wondering where I’d been. I pointed to my wrist where the museum had placed a band and not being able to see the fine print, they asked if I had been in the hospital.  In a way, maybe I was because that time at the museum was most assuredly recuperative.

So I’m here, my home away from home:

Set

If interested stay tuned tomorrow for a recap of the first day of QA TV taping!

Comments

melicia evans wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 1:48 AM
oooh. oooh. I can't wait. You can't go wrong with a music theme. I also love to read about what has been an influence to others. Looks like fun.
Robbi Eklow wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 3:03 AM
Maybe you could get John to wear that Rocker outfit. Robbi
Elin wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 8:16 AM
Wicked. I went to the R+R Hall of Fame directly from my QA TV taping last year, as I am a full-fledged music fanatic (some might even say groupie). My big thrills were 2 guitars (one belonging to Eddie Cochran, the other Gram Parsons) and Clash lyrics hand written on an empty string pack. I blogged it here...http://willlovelogic.blogspot.com/2007/09/and-i-ended-up-insane.html Can't wait to see what challenge comes from your visit. rave on, cat!
Patty VanHuis-Cox wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 9:12 AM
I am thinking that you are definitely loving what you are doing! Thanks for sharing your experience.
Joyce wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 9:26 AM
That is too fun!! I'm glad you took your extra hour... and in a red mustang too! LOL Love the pix in front by the stranger... so happy!! (was s/he a quilter?)
Cheryl wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 10:16 AM
You GO GIRL!! And I can't get Thriller out of my head now! I did the same thing with my friends! I'd love the music themed challenge. Sounds great!
BJ wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 10:25 AM
"L.A. Woman", now thats rock and roll. When I was young many moons ago The Doors was the beginning of my dive into rock and roll and I am happy to say I am still listening to them. One of my favorite things to do is embarrass my husband by playing rock and roll very loud on my car stero and pulling up in front of our home. He always shakes his head, but I can tell he approves.
Gisela Towner wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 1:17 PM
Glad you had fun and thanks for the reminder. I live 5 minutes from the Rock Hall and only think to visit when we have out-of-town company...it's been a while. Will you be here long enough to visit the Taste of Cleveland? It's Friday through Monday at the amphitheater downtown. I'll be working at the event and would love to say Hello if you visit. There's lots of rock and roll bands there sll weekend too! <G>
Russty wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 4:30 PM
Oh what fun! I'm a music junky and I dream of going there one day. I can't wait for the music theme. I'll definetly have to do something for that.
Rhonda wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 5:26 PM
WOW! I am so jealous! And I can't WAIT for the music challenge. Right up my alley, and a good excuse to crank the tunes and call it "research." Goes to 11!
Noel wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 8:17 PM
Way cool.....you look like you had a R&R good time..LOL! Thanks for shareing and can't wait to see what you come up with for the cahllenge!!
Veronica Richmond wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 8:57 PM
What a great trip! I've GOT to tell my 16 year old that the Chili Peppers were inspired by Parliament - one of the members of Parliament, Prakash John, has gone through school with my son, and plays in restaurants in the neighbourhood occasionally with his elder son. This could get my son listening to more funk and less Dylan. What a great family trip idea, though I'd never tear him away from JPJ's jacket. Now I have to dig out The Song Remains the Same from the 16 year old's DVD collection so I can look at his jacket again in preparation for this challenge!!! (Can you believe the kid's 16 in 2008?? I had to buy him Neil Young tickets for December, too. I'm in a time warp) Can't wait to buy the next season of DVDs!! Veronica
Veronica Richmond wrote
on 26 Aug 2008 8:59 PM
OOps!!!!! I meant Prakash John's SON goes to school with mine, not Prakash John himself...
Prakash John wrote
on 15 Sep 2008 1:39 AM
Flea is one of the deadliest bass players I've ever heard; what a powerful groovin' maniac on bass -he's gotta be a huge James Brown/Tower of Power fan. Veronica you must be a nieghbhour of mine.....you've got a hip kid....nothing wrong with Dylan - he's the king of songwriters...though funk is cool too.
Prakash John wrote
on 15 Sep 2008 1:44 AM
I can play bass but obviously can't spell neighbour.
Faye wrote
on 16 Sep 2008 9:54 AM
Girls just gotta have fun!!! You go Girl.Hey, if we can't take time for ourselves I know I get Burned Out. Have always wanted to go there. I'm jealous, glad you took the time. Jimi Hendricks, was rockin with him many moons ago. LOL
Pokey wrote
on 7 Sep 2009 8:26 AM

I've just returned home from Cleveland where we taped our next series of QA TV (airing end of December