Talkin' Turkey (From Photo to Mini Quilt)

20 Oct 2008

The other morning while putting on a pot of jo', I spotted this surprising sight out of my kitchen window:
Hot air balloon
Twelve hours later, same skyline:
Moon
And the following morning when I tried to go to work:
Turkeys A gaggle of wild turkeys on my street stopped me in my tracks.

They are so goth looking, don't you think? Like something straight out of Mordor.

I stopped the car of course, and watched as they ambled up the barn driveway. One even posed for me on a fence:
Turkey

Later that evening I played with this image in Photoshop by converting it to a black and white sketch, and placed six turkeys up on a page:
Turkeys 6 up bw copy

I could then use the above images as a map for stencils, screens, hand-carved stamps, fabric images, even free-motion motifs––all of which I used to create these:
Turkeys forever
If you're coming to Houston next week, I'll be demonstrating the techniques I used to make the above pieces of fiber art during my Open Studios time slot in Make It University-- Thursday, October 30 from 2:30 - 4:30.  Please stop by and see me!

And if you'd like to use my black and white gaggle of turkeys, feel free to right-click and download it. (And if you create something with them, please let me know!)

Filed under:

Comments

Trina wrote
on 20 Oct 2008 3:46 PM
Those are so colorful and also mysterious...I wonder how you made them. I wish I could come to Houston!
Cheryl wrote
on 20 Oct 2008 6:47 PM
They don't look like Mordor turkeys now! They are pretty cool. ( and it's totally awesome that in a quilt related post the word "Mordor" was used.)
Terri wrote
on 20 Oct 2008 9:58 PM
Cool photos. Can I come visit where you live? You took a drab-looking turkey and turned it into something colorful! I hope you'll give some more insight into how you made these for those of us who can't go to Houston.
Joyce wrote
on 21 Oct 2008 4:54 AM
We see wild turkeys here, too. I was going to say I think they are ugly but I love your play in Photoshop with them and your ATCs!! Very fun and pretty! :) How about a how-to file here for those of us that can't go to Houston? ;)
Sandy wrote
on 21 Oct 2008 11:23 AM
Didn't you get your gun out and shoot your Thanksgiving turkey? Hahaha. Free range, yet, yummy! Love what you did with the images, it's very Rauchenburg/Warhol.
Katina wrote
on 21 Oct 2008 8:22 PM
What a delight it would be to live by you and to be able to look outside and see the variety of "life" and "nature" you have available. It makes me smile!
waterrose wrote
on 22 Oct 2008 2:25 AM
It really looks like fall in your part of the world. No turkey's here, but some creepy looking turkey vultures!
sharon young wrote
on 22 Oct 2008 1:48 PM
What a great idea, I love what you've been doing here. We're growing on 2 turkeys for xmas, maybe I should take a closer look at them.
Mary Z wrote
on 22 Oct 2008 8:24 PM
that's awsome Pokey....love the way the turkey play came out! Simple yet very stunning! Mary Z.
Terisa wrote
on 22 Oct 2008 11:45 PM
Oh I wish I was going!!! I love that you took that goofy ol turkey and turned it into someting fun and whimsical....hummm I wonder if I can do that with the turkeys I have!!! Terisa always, "running with scissors"
Melissa wrote
on 23 Oct 2008 10:03 AM
Boy, do I wish there was an east coast International Quilt Festival for those of us on this coast who cannot afford to travel to Chicago, Texas or Long Beach! Are there any future plans for another festival site?
lorraine wrote
on 24 Oct 2008 4:19 PM
what a clever idea to put the image like that on a mixed media piece..will try and give that a try. Hope you have a successful day at Houston. I would love to be published in CPS but I live across the ocean in Liverpool, UK! so cant pop the form in!!
Shelly S. wrote
on 25 Oct 2008 10:56 AM
Amazing !! You do such fantastic, original work. From roadside to ATC just like that !! You make it look so easy. Love the new issue of Quilting Arts. Noticed that the "Print Magic" article doesn't cite Maggie Grey as author on opening pages. Did she wish to remain anonymous? :-) Regards, Shelly http://papermischief.blogspot.com/
Linda Edkins Wyatt wrote
on 28 Oct 2008 4:04 PM
Bands of wild turkeys are taking over my neighborhood too! just snapped a photo of them for my blog. I love the b/w photoshop conversion and the color pieces you made. Great work, really colorful and creative...guess that's why you're at the helm of the mags, right?
Jojo wrote
on 9 Nov 2008 12:14 PM
Missed this year but if I go next will you show me how to make the turkey ATC? Love it. jojo in vegas