Rock On! Art Quilt Update

14 Nov 2008

OK, my boogie-loving, head-thrashing, air-guitar-playing quilters, how are those Rock On! art quilts comin''? T minus 10 weeks until the due date, so I hope you're jammin' and quiltin' the night away.

Tina

We've gotten a handful of entries so far, and above we see Tina Turner stitched and beaded by Bonnie Ouellete of Seneca, South Carolina.

Gotta' give credit for the sizzling hot pink background, the wild locks, the stilettos, the black mini, and of course those babe-a-licious Tina legs. A job well done, Bonnie!

Out of any challenge we've posed, I admit am most eager to see what everyone creates for this one. Wouldn't it be fun to have all of these together in an exhibit with...say... I dunno... some rock playing in the background?

On a related note, this morning (Friday) I was going to take a few hours off to rest up and screen fabric at home; but while thinking about this challenge, an idea came to mind that made me laugh so hard, I immediately went to work and presented my crazy thought to the team.  (And honestly it's one of the nuttier ones I've had.) I was nervous that they were going to ban me from the building, but they got it straight away, and we're all so excited to see this somewhat outlandish venture through. (More on this in two weeks, but I hope I have piqued your interest.)

If you're going to join our Rock On! challenge, I'd love to know what musical artists have inspired you, so please post below what band/singer you're going to stitch.

Rock on, people!

Filed under:

Comments

Vicki wrote
on 14 Nov 2008 5:51 PM
I'm planning a Red Hot Chili Peppers quilt--love them! Now I want to know about this crazy idea you have!
Dawn wrote
on 14 Nov 2008 9:55 PM
I have a Three Dog Night quilt in mind...most likely. Ideas keep popping into my head! You definitely have my attention....can't wait to hear about your crazy idea!
Donna wrote
on 15 Nov 2008 8:02 AM
ok . u can think me really weird . . . The Partridge Family. When i hear their music . . it makes me an innocent 12 year old. i immediately feel good, smile & SING! (yep their albums are on cd!) if im not mistaken . . we can enter 2 .. the other ones are too numerous . . i must decide on one. hesitant to post this . . . .
Sue Perkins wrote
on 15 Nov 2008 8:11 AM
Hi Pokey, I am rocking with Gene Simmons! I was not a KISS fan, however, when I think of Rock N Roll, I think of them. He's almost done, so you will be seeing him soon! Rock On!
MichelleJ wrote
on 15 Nov 2008 8:52 AM
Joe Cocker - his music makes me jump to my feet and boogey around the house.
KT wrote
on 15 Nov 2008 4:29 PM
Love that TT quilt.
Debbi Crane wrote
on 15 Nov 2008 11:12 PM
I am torn among Blondie, Talking Heads, Death Cab and Kanye!
Cheryl wrote
on 17 Nov 2008 10:49 AM
The Bangles! It popped into my head immediately when I saw the challenge...
Diane wrote
on 17 Nov 2008 7:07 PM
Rock n Roll Greats..The Rolling Stones of course!
Pokey wrote
on 17 Nov 2008 7:28 PM
Sue--A Gene Simmons quilt? Should be interesting! Dawn- Three Dog Night--That's great! Let me guess... your quilt will have a bull frog, some fishes, and the deep blue sea.;) Donna--Never, ever be ashamed of The Partridge Family. Your post made me smile--can't wait to see it. Debbi-- I knew you and I had a lot in common. All of those artists I have on my iPod. We must discuss David Byrne at some point. I think he's darn brilliant. Cheryl--I forgot all about the Bangles! Diane- I have seen the Stones a few times in concert. My favorite song is from their Voodoo Lounge album- Thru and Thru. I listen to it lots. I am predicting a huge number of entries for this challenge. At least I am hoping this is the case...
Beth wrote
on 19 Nov 2008 12:03 PM
This year, I am making scarves from felted sweaters (old, with holes, stains, and from the tag sale) and embellishing with felted sweater scraps. WICKED fun!
Holly wrote
on 25 Nov 2008 9:37 AM
I have no idea what I'm going to do yet as I'm WAY TOO INSPIRED! Visiting the R&R Hall of Fame was one of the high points of my music-loving life. I want to go back and take everyone I know to this incredible place. When I saw this challenge I knew I'd found a kindred spirit so I'll be making something fer sure. In the meanwhile - ROCK ON! p.s. - have you seen D. Byrne's journals? Very interesting.
Holly wrote
on 25 Nov 2008 9:38 AM
Janice wrote
on 1 Dec 2008 7:33 PM
Guess I'm an oldie. I'm doing Roy Orbison and The Beach Boys. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!