A Solid Gold Weekend & Free Quilted Jacket Pattern For Your Pooch

17 Nov 2008

This past Saturday afternoon I realized I was critically low on black and white screen-printing paint, so I hightailed it to one of my favorite places on the planet:

Photo

*** Blick.

Ooh la la...this place makes my heart beat nearly as fast as sifting through my button loot from Houston.

Buttons!

Since it’s getting close to the holidays and I need to be thinking about supplies for gift-making (and not necessarily treats for myself) I came home with just a handful of delights:

*** blick loot

• Graph paper (for planning my Sopranos quilt)

• A striped notebook (Because every quilting editor needs a pretty little notebook and the cover reminded me of Fruit Stripe gum...see what I mean?)

Fruitstripe

• A bottle of iridescent deep gold acrylic paint by Tri-Art. I am rather partial to all of the Lumiere paints (especially Burnt Orange, Crimson, and Grape), but this sleek, shiny bottle that boasted the highest quality of pigments was too tempting to pass up. (I'm going to use it some night this week and I'll report back on my findings.)

Since my recent post was about the Rock On! Art Quilt challenge, I'll mention that my weekend was topped off with a trip to the Middle East in Cambridge where we listened to the hip hop/soul/reggae tunes of Black River Sound. They were absolutely jammin'… but they didn't come on until 12:30, and between you and me, I am no spring chicken! (I'm ecstatic they’re playing again in two weeks because next time I will be sure to take a nap first.) Have a listen to “Lula Panema” or “Deliver Us”—a couple of good tunes to kick off your Monday.

To further start the workweek off on a good note, below is a free dog coat pattern, which was published recently in our Quilting Arts GIFTS issue. My dog Louie was a surprisingly patient model. (It helps when you tell him that if he's a good dog, he'll soon get a "cookie"––a word I must have mentioned about 50,000 times during the photo shoot.) You can download the pattern by clicking on Louie's picture.

Louie1

Are you making gifts for others this holiday season? If so, please share what you're doing in the comments area!

Happy Monday,

Pokey

Filed under:

Comments

Lisa wrote
on 17 Nov 2008 4:10 PM
I might have to fit some time in to my holiday schedule to make your cute dog jacket for my neighbor's darling dog. I hope it doesn't take too long because I know she will love it. Thanks for sharing. Oh and I've heard of *** Blick. I am jealous that you have one in your city!
Allie wrote
on 17 Nov 2008 8:35 PM
I LOVE *** Blick. My mom is an artist and got me hooked. Love your buttons too - *drool* - and THANK YOU so much for the dog coat pattern! My pup needs one badly - it's supposed to snow here every day this week, and she stays curled up in her comforter unless she HAS to go out. Thank you!
Melly wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 8:39 AM
That gold paint was like seeing crack! I got focused to the extreme and couldn't read anything but that paragraph. I had to go back and read the rest! I stopped making gifts a few years back because it started off as a gift for mom, that took maybe a week and then over the years became gifts for all that took at least a month and a half to complete and a good deal of recuperative time afterward. I think the gift for mom-only should get back on my list. Love the warms for your beautiful dog.
Joyce wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 10:52 AM
Oh.... Blicks!! Be still my heart! Until Labor Day weekend, my dd lived on the same block as ***. Now she is 2 blocks away. LOL!! Quite anxious to see if the sleek gold liquid is worth a look-see on my next Blick trip. I haven't gotten started on Christmas gifts yet. I did make 4 tags for gifts at quilt guild meeting last night. One is pictured on my blog.
Patti Pasteur wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 12:57 PM
Hi Patricia, I enjoy reading your blog...how do you find the time to run several magazines and create such stunning work???? Do you sleep? I have a hard time finding places to get supplies since I've moved to New Hampshire (I was so use to running to the arts and crafts supply store five minutes from the house in TN, TX, & FL). I know you live in MA, where is there a *** Blick? It sounds like it would be worth a trip. I love making Christmas cards for family and friends every year. In the past I've made a recipe book with treasured family recipes for a niece. An altered photo book for my mother-in-law and this year it's a memory book of my husband's grandparents. Oh, and I promised my sister this year one of my small art quilts... As I look out my window flurries are coming down. 'Just the beginning of things to come...Have a great week!
Cheryl wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 1:44 PM
Do you think the coat could be adjusted to fit my cat? (More importantly, how many seconds would it last when put on said cat?) It's very cute on Louie though!
Jeannie wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 2:16 PM
I am so jealous of you having a *** Blick near you. I rely on their catalogue, but it is not the same. I am knitting mittens currently. On the list is to make some of Judy's felted ornaments from the magazine and the portfolio. I love this time of year! Have a great week experimenting. Cheers.
patti edmon wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 5:19 PM
this year I decided to complement the batch of mixed media ornaments I'm making with 'gift flair,' which, along with making the package a delight will offer a handmade keepsake for the giftee... not sure how they'll go over, I'll report back. as a fellow Lumiere junkie, I'd love to know how that gold works... blessings.
waterrose wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 5:27 PM
I love art supply stores. For the life of me I can't remember the name of it, but there is wonderful one on the ASU campus in Tempe...I visit as often as possible. I use beautiful spiral notebooks all of the time. I even keep them forever...I have an entire storage box full of them. I just caught up on your blog and it's been a wonderful read. I was so excited to see Jay pictured with you.
Katina wrote
on 18 Nov 2008 11:31 PM
Has anyone really started making any Christmas presents yet?! I'm still working on "other" projects that have deadlines prior to Dec 25th. Once they are done then I will get down to business and I will probably make a small Quiltie or two and some jewelry for my favorite people! And, I already downloaded the dog coat pattern and will be resizing it for a dog named Puppy.
Deb wrote
on 20 Nov 2008 6:45 AM
Sopranos Quilt? As in Tony and Carmela, et al?
Sue wrote
on 22 Nov 2008 7:16 PM
Last year I embroidered water bottle cozies for everybody and it was a lot of work. My mom had to help me finish them on time (I'm a pokey too. LOVED the porky sign!) With this economy we're keeping it simple this year. So I'm embroidering the kids' names on a set of jersey knit pillowcases.
lucy wrote
on 27 Nov 2008 8:27 AM
I can only imagine what it was like to go into ***'s. I would have been in heaven! The closest I've come to a store like that was last week at the Art of the Carolina's Trade Show, hosted by ***'s competitor. I bought TONS of new supplies and canvases so I'm ready for the new year. Well, I suppose I could always buy more :) Gifts--my Mom is the main recipient of my hand made items. I am working on a painting for her. Friends and family are getting some tiny treasures I've made as well as a few mixed media painted ornaments on 3 x 5 canvas board. This is my first time making ornaments so we'll see how they come out...lol..I may decide to keep them! Happy Thanksgiving!
Sharon Eisen wrote
on 3 Jan 2009 11:08 AM
Thought you might want to check out this artist: www.lazygal.biz/ I especially like her dotty pillows.
msdoggie1991 wrote
on 23 Sep 2010 8:38 AM

i've never quilted before, but am willing to give it a shot. where do i find the instructions for louie's jacket? i downloaded the pattern. thanks