Late Breaking News: International Quilt Association's "Celebrate Spring!"

12 Jan 2009

The Iceman (has) cometh,  now please go-eth...

My driveway
Above: View of my driveway from my garage.

Raise your hand if you:

• Have been generally freezing the last two months and can't get warm
• Have pulled your back out shoveling snow
• And have cracked, dry skin thanks to all that exposure to sand, salt, and ice!

I don't think I'm alone when I say my hand is raised to all three, and here's an opportunity to help make winter a mere memory. This late-breaking quilting news just in from Crystal Battarbee,  coordinator for the International Quilt Association (I.Q.A.):

The Celebrate Spring Judged Show deadline is tomorrow, January 13th; however, I have been out sick for a couple of days and if anyone still wants to get an entry in, I’ll take them through  this Friday (January 16). The entry form is on the web site at www.quilts.org. Here’s the link: http://www.quilts.org/downloads/2009CelebrateSpringRules_EntryForm.pdf

This is a wonderful opportunity to enter a quilt into The International Quilt Festival/Chicago show this upcoming April! Please email Crystal with any questions you may have at iqa@quilts.com.

Sprouts
Above: "Sprouts" by Laura Wasilowski--2nd Place Winner in "Celebrate Spring," 2008. (Photo courtesy of IQA)

Comments

Cindy Kuo wrote
on 12 Jan 2009 8:12 PM
Oh I hear you on the weather! That's why I'm heading to Hong Kong for 2 months! It might still be winter but it is warmer than here! Wish I had something I could send in for this competition. Maybe I'll have to use it as an excuse to not leave the house with Chicago's bad weather for the next few days & get something made!
Jacquie in Vermont wrote
on 13 Jan 2009 8:23 AM
I'm a bit north of you in Vermont and my driveway looks just like yours! It hasn't been quite warm enough to allow such long icicles to form however. Glad I'm going grocery shopping before the next round of snow and COLD hits later this afternoon... Think warm!
Sarah wrote
on 13 Jan 2009 9:26 AM
It's like the arctic tundra where I live. Would love to make a quilt for this exhibit! I wonder if I can get my act together in time.
Lisa wrote
on 13 Jan 2009 10:13 AM
Warmer weather is coming! Here in Utah its a balmy 40 degrees and man it feels good! I can do 40 degrees - although my sister said San Fran (where she lives) was 71 yesterday, and that would be nice too - but if I have to have snow to support the local economy 40 is fabulous! So heres hoping that it will move your way very quickly.
Pokey wrote
on 13 Jan 2009 10:52 AM
Lisa, I don't think warmer weather is headed our way anytime soon. We're supposed to have *highs* in the single digits this Friday and Saturday, which means I'll be dragging portable heaters around and monitoring pipes so they don't freeze! Enjoy your weather!
Sharon Neth wrote
on 13 Jan 2009 11:58 AM
I am still having cracked and itchy skin out here in Templeton! I am glad that the sand trucks worked their magic on our roads out here! It is so much easier to get around than before!
Heather Martin wrote
on 15 Jan 2009 3:23 PM
Wow! Now that's what I call an icicle. We have been moaning about being cold here in the UK, but most places haven't had enough snow to need a shovel. What is that lovely quotation? 'If winter comes, can spring be far behind?' Keep warm and take heart.
Malke the Quilter wrote
on 18 Jan 2009 8:11 PM
Today I went outside and I thought it was WARM! It was a steamy 30 degrees! Everything is relative!