Life's a Beach Challenge Results

27 Mar 2009

Birds

Apparently I am not the only one counting down the minutes until summer because we received more than 280 submissions for our "Life's a Beach!" Cloth Paper Scissors reader challenge.  Submissions ranged from altered surf boards and flip-flops to assemblages and journal-quilt-sized art quilts (and quite a number of them).

The following artists should ship their artwork to us per the challenge guidelines published in the magazine to be considered for inclusion in our July/August issue of Cloth Paper Scissors and/or to be exhibited at Make It University! at the International Quilt Festival/Long Beach this upcoming July:

Kristin Beason (both entries)
Shirle Bedient
Dot Lewallen
Laura McCabe
Lisa Jones Moore
Andrea Parr
Lynne Redmond
Gina Smith
Carolyn Sutton ("Go Fly a Kite")

There were a number of other entries that were very intriguing, and we're going to get in touch with these artists for other publishing opportunities. Thanks to everyone for playing along and dreaming of summer. Hope everyone enjoyed the challenge!

Filed under:

Comments

Lisa wrote
on 27 Mar 2009 2:22 PM
So exciting!
Simone Guardiola wrote
on 29 Mar 2009 10:30 PM
I am sad. Nobody below of the line of the equator… seems that our swallows had flied for there and they had left in them without sun… seems…
morning Dove wrote
on 30 Mar 2009 5:22 AM
how exciting michelle bonds is a finalist. can't wait to see the results. just received my new QA in mail this weekend. soaking it all up.
Essie wrote
on 3 Apr 2009 9:29 AM
For once I'm glad to not have been considered. After I entered my quilt, my college student daughter made a special request. She volunteers taking food to homeless people who live in makeshift shelters in the woods of Athens, Georgia. She's met a woman who, in those conditions, is dying of cancer. My daughter asked to take her the beach-theme quilt, and I was happy to oblige.
Donna wrote
on 6 Apr 2009 2:10 PM
The Crayon Quilt is so cool & perfect!!!!!! Wish i could go to the Quilt festival . . . ill be there in spirit. Where the peeps are loud & laughing . . im there
Lisa JonesMoore wrote
on 8 Apr 2009 6:13 PM
Thank you all at Cloth Paper Scissors for including my work "To the Sea" as a finalist for consideration. I am thrilled and honored! I can't wait to see what is published.