Help! Quilt Design for my "Inner Animal" Quilt

16 Jan 2010

The deadline for Our Inner Animal Reader Challenge is coming up fast (January 22), and I thought it would be fun for me to play along, too, perhaps put my entry on my letter from the editor page and in our community.

My inner animal is the cutest amphibian God created: the frog. I have had a love affair with frogs my whole life, and I’ve even been told that when I’m getting jiggy with it on the dance floor, I look like a dancing tree frog.  (Nice commentary, huh?)

I recently mosied on over to an online source for stock photography, purchased an image of a tree frog, and now I’m playing with it in Photoshop to inspire a quilt design. Here are the versions I came up with:

There’s...

Batik Frog!

Fabric Transfer Frog!

Stained Glass Frog!

Discharged Frog!

Hand-Dyed/ Applique Frog!

Heavily Free-motion Quilted Frog!

Deconstructed Screen-printed Frog!

And drum roll...

Thread-sketched Frog on Acid!

So what do you think? Which style should I try? (And I hope you are planning on submitting a quilt to this challenge, too!)

Comments

on 16 Jan 2010 6:00 AM

Wow!  That frog on acid is something else isn't he.  Kind of  reminds me of those commercials with the egg and the frying pan.  You know, this is your brain on drugs!  Anyway, I think you should try the heavily quilted free motion frog.  That's one of the things I want to learn this year.  Have fun with  whichever one you choose.  I'm sure it will be wonderful!

pastel100 wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 6:10 AM

A combination of batik, applique, free motion and acid.  I don't think I can submit one.  I just found out about it yesterday and the 22nd in very soon.

ckaterkatie wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 6:30 AM

Batik frog...but I like the discharged frog and frog on acid.  I guess it depends on if you're in the mood for something more traditional or more funky.  No matter, I can't wait to see the finished project.

dianedoodles wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 6:43 AM

Very Neat! My fav is the fabric transfer frog, 2nd choice is the discharge frog.

Keep Having Fun!

on 16 Jan 2010 7:05 AM

Batik frog is my fav!  My daughter loves these red-eyed rascals too.

Nancy Young wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 7:17 AM

My favorite is the Batik frog.  I paint frogs especially poison dart frogs and I have created a collage frog fabric on spoonflower using some of my paintings.  I can hardly wait to get my hands on!

Quilnan wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 7:34 AM

My vote is for the discharged tree frog.. almost mysterious and quite arty looking I think. I am planning on a submission. Way back when you did a survey online asking for suggestions for challenges, I responded "something with animals". Almost the next day came your announcement on the challenge, which you and staff had been working to set up. See how those ideas are floating out there in the "great commonality"??

on 16 Jan 2010 9:06 AM

Those are some great choices!  Interesting and hilarious all at the same time.  I like discharged frog mixed with thread sketched frog on Acid.  Have fun making the quilt.  It looks like your prep has already been loads of fun.

reginabdunn wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 9:13 AM

I vote for the Batik frog. Its colors are more brilliant. 2nd place is the the appliqued frog. Either way it is a good subject for fiber. Lots of color and what a cute expression frogs have on their faces!

Carol DK wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 9:38 AM

Way too fun to have so many options. The most striking to me are the Discharged frog, the Heavily Free-motion stitched frog and the Deconstructed Screen print frog.

Good luck choosing, any will be fantastic.

I can't wait to get started on mine!! ;D

caren12 wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 10:07 AM

the frog on acid is prretty incredible, but I think I would have to gowith either the free motion quilted frog or the batik frog!

I love frogs too! '

caren

LindaS@41 wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 12:16 PM

I truly love that acid frog -- heavy thread sketching would be my vote. :)

I had forgotten about this. <sigh> I know my animal but don't know if I have time. <fingers crossed>

:) Linda

LindaS@41 wrote
on 16 Jan 2010 12:17 PM

I truly love that acid frog -- heavy thread sketching would be my vote. :)

:) Linda

on 16 Jan 2010 9:35 PM

Pokey,

My favorite is the Hand-Dyed/ Applique Frog.  It has good line and exciting color placement.  Enjoy.

Phyllis Krosinsky

mizrosie wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 12:29 AM

The most unique one is the Thread Sketched Frog on Acid! Try that one.

Rosie

LisaM@59 wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 2:03 AM

Batik Frog is definitely the schizzle!  (And I personally thought you more closely resembled a meerkat when you danced in Houston.)

rodneyripper wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 4:22 AM

I vote for the Batik frog with a little "frog on acid" added.  Cute froggy however you decide to do it.

kathy211 wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 6:26 AM

The thread etched frog on acid is amazing!!! Actually they are all really cool. I'm hoping to get Photo Shop this year and it is really neat to see all you can do with it!

Pokey wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 8:51 AM

Batik Frog is winning so far, but I'm very tempted to a series of these frogs. Thanks for the input!

Euphoria, you caught me dancing in Houston, eh? That was such a fun night...

And thank you for the compliment that my dancing more closely resembles a meerkat. I feel so much better now. ;-)

WandaK wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 1:19 PM

Thanks for the inspiration, your choices got me motivated to try one of my own.  I like the lines and lack thereof of the Hand Dyed/Appliqued Frog.  Fun Stuff.

arogers wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 4:16 PM

Batik Frog, but deconstructed one is great too.

Essy wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 8:54 PM

It was hard to choose between Heavily Free-motion Quilted Frog being my favorite, and my second choice is Discharged Frog :)

pjb987 wrote
on 17 Jan 2010 9:27 PM

Oh, how fun! I'd have to vote for Hand-Dyed/ Applique Frog. (But the frog on acid is really something. Don't you love that effect in Photoshop?) I think a series is definitely in order. Including maybe some ATCs to swap at Quilt Festival in Chicago (hint-hint!!)??

on 17 Jan 2010 11:45 PM

My vote is for Thread-sketched Frog on Acid! You can do it as a thread painting and it should really come out cool looking.

cybervykky wrote
on 18 Jan 2010 8:52 PM

I like Discharged Frog, Heavily Free-Motion is a close second, though.

broodmom wrote
on 19 Jan 2010 6:55 PM

Personally, I like the Heavily Free-Motion Quilted Frog, but the psychedelic thread-sketched frog appeals to my wild side.  I think you should try this one because it's different.

And send it to my granddaughter, a teen who loves frogs!

Blu Fields wrote
on 26 Jan 2010 8:55 AM

The thread sketched frog on acid is cool!

donna g wrote
on 11 Feb 2010 10:28 AM

Batik frog, definitely my favorite. Maybe combined with some free motion stitching. Have fun and post what you decide to do.

Tove Edens wrote
on 11 Feb 2010 6:43 PM

All of the tree frogs are absolutely lovely but my personal favourite is the batik frog. It is almost identical to the picture on my favourite tea cup.

I'll be in line for first purchaser of the tree frog pattern, you've found another tree frog enthusiast

Tove

Tove Edens wrote
on 11 Feb 2010 6:43 PM

Tove

njind wrote
on 11 Feb 2010 7:55 PM

Pokey....I just got this...after the date....I must say...you have created so many approaches by utilizing Photoshop!  Sheer,free motion, dyed, appliqued GENIUS.