Here’s how to participate
- Make a 14" x 11" art quilt of horizontal orientation that is representational of the image below. This means you can interpret the image however you’d like. You could take the image into digital-editing software, play with filters, crop in on a particular part of the image, etc. Your art quilt must include visible machine stitching. You can thread sketch, thread paint, free-motion stitch; make a fabric collage, landscape, or abstract quilt. The bottom line is the finished piece must incorporate plenty of visible machine stitching.
- The entire quilt, including binding, must measure 14" x 11". It must be three layers and machine stitched and quilted; it must be bound or zigzag stitched closed and have a sleeve on the back. The quilt may be made of alternative fibers (such as paper).
- Any embellishments must not protrude more than ½ " from the quilt.
- The entire quilt must weigh no more than 1 lb.
- Your quilt must somehow represent the image below. Any other images or text on your quilt must be copyright free.
Please take careful note of the timeline for submitting your entry:
- If you’d like your quilt to be one of the first posted in our online gallery, send three low-res images (each less than 1MB) of your entry (one of the entire piece and two details) via email by May 2, 2010, to email@example.com, with the words “Stitch This!” in the subject line. Please include your name, email address, and a brief explanation of your piece, including title, materials, and techniques used. Note: Please do not “zip” your files and be sure to send jpegs.
- Starting May 3, we will no longer be accepting emailed submissions, but rather ask you to post your photos directly onto our website in the “Stitch This!” photo gallery. Please upload the full image, title, and description. In the comments area, please post two detail images of this quilt.
- You may submit up to three separate entries.
- On Monday, May 3, voting will commence on the site in the “Stitch This!” photo gallery. Members of the Quilting Arts community can vote for as many entries as they like, but they can only vote for each entry once. Artists may continue to upload their images of quilts through Friday, June 25, at 5:00 PM EDT.
- On Monday, June 28, 2010, at 12:00 PM EDT, voting will close, and the entry with the most votes will win the BERNINA aurora sewing machine. Pokey will announce the winner on her blog.
Due to national and international laws regarding prizes, the “Stitch This!” challenge is open to U.S. residents only, and artists must be at least 18 years of age. BERNINA and Interweave employees are not eligible. Voting is open to everyone, however.
Note: By submitting your challenge entry, you are authorizing Interweave Press LLC to publish your project in upcoming publications and promotional materials, on our website, and in other Interweave e-media, as well as to display it at shows. Interweave Press LLC will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control. We may ask you to ship the quilt to us, and reserve the right to keep and display your “Stitch This!” art quilt until the week of November 15, 2010. We will be shipping the quilts back during the month of November.
We look forward to seeing your work!
To view all of the challenge rules, visit this page.