Road Trip + Gelatin Monoprinting = Fun Times Ahead in Chicago

9 Apr 2010

As you can tell from Pippa's latest entry, we've been doing a little road tripping lately...

I'm thrilled to say the next stop is the International Quilt Festival/ Chicago! Are you making your art to trade with others at the new Trading Post at Make It University!(TM)? If you want some ideas for making fabrics for ATCs and the like, check out this video tutorial on gelatin monoprinting. This past January we visited the Lowell Fiber Studios and  artist Linda Dunn showed us how it's done!

Comments

MellyT wrote
on 10 Apr 2010 10:38 AM

That looks like such a pretty gazebo! :)

So in the video with Linda Dunn, did she mean ink or paint? She was using it as though it were ink but it seemed she was using paint.

on 11 Apr 2010 10:10 AM

I'm working on my art trade charms- altered gelato spoons, as seen in the charm swap issue,  and having fond memories of yummy gelato, as I make them.  I have my ATCs ready, my charms in progress, am hand dyeing fabric for the classes I'm taking, made some hand carved stamps for a class, and am gathering up supplies.  I can't wait to get to Chicago!

on 11 Apr 2010 6:23 PM

That looks like fun!

Pokey wrote
on 12 Apr 2010 5:19 PM

MellyMells,

Good question. When we were there she used ink, paint, and dye...pretty much anything she had on hand, and she wasn't very particular. She told me after the taping she uses whatever she gets on sale.

LBD2 wrote
on 16 Apr 2010 7:25 AM

Pokey, we so enjoyed your visit! Thank you for coming by. I'm teaching a screen printing class in June up at Lowell Fiber Studio.  This video makes me want to drop everything and go print. --- all the best, from all of us at Lowell Fiber Studio

Thespoena wrote
on 29 Jul 2010 1:25 PM

I really enjoyed this video. I hadn't been brave enough to try this yet but I think now that I have seen it I won't be so hesitant to explore. Thanks so much!

Diane Yates wrote
on 13 Aug 2010 9:26 AM

Is that gelatin in that tin cookie sheet?   I seem to have missed that. i did see it in the glass pan, so she pours geletin in the cookie sheet and when it solidifys she add the paint?

on 19 Jun 2011 10:05 AM

Gracias por el tutorial, voy a poner en práctica esa práctica y hermosa forma de hacer arte.

on 15 May 2012 2:54 PM

Like you, I love fabric. Like you, I collect fabric. And, probably like you, I'm always itching to change the fabric I have. Why? When there are so many beautiful fabrics out there, why do we art quilters feel the need to alter them?