"How Entertaining" Quilts Requested

5 May 2010

Thanks to everyone for participating in our "How Entertaining" art quilt challenge! As usual, you delighted us with your entertaining, witty, and amusing entries. One of my personal favorite submissions was a very funny depiction of James Gandolfini from "The Sopranos." Being a fellow lover of those Jersey Boys (as seen in the end of this blog post and the fact that I have a signed poster hanging in my office as seen below), I had a soft spot for this quilt!

The following artists should send along your art quilts to us by May 21, 2010, per the challenge guidelines

Kimberly Cotter-Lemus

Rebecca Erickson

Susan Fitzgerald

Becky Flaming-Martin

Nancy Hutchison

Regina Keast

Bonnie Ouellette

Catherine Parkinson

Jennifer Politano

Heather Reid

Caren Rich

Eileen Torgerson

Sarah Thompson-Coviello

We hope everyone who participated had a lot of fun and we're busy planning the next one! In the meantime, if you're itching to stitch something up and want to win a BERNINA aurora sewing machine, you may want to check out the BERNINA "Stitch This!" challenge that is taking place as we speak! Still plenty of time to stitch a quilt and play along.

Filed under:

Comments

Debquilt wrote
on 5 May 2010 8:02 PM

I entered a quilt that wasn't chosen and I wondered how many entries did you receive?  It was a fun challenge and I learned some new skills.  I will be able to enter my quilt in 2 shows since it wasn't chosen, so that will be nice.

on 6 May 2010 12:57 PM

Congrats to the selected quilt artists!

suzannegegna wrote
on 6 May 2010 6:23 PM

Hi Debquilt....I'm a bit curious about the shows you're consiering entering your quilt in...would you be willing to share the informtion?  Thanks, sgegna

Twister2 wrote
on 7 May 2010 2:11 PM

Congratulations to those who were selected for this challenge.

For those of us whose art quilts were not selected, is it okay to post photos in the Share your Art Quilt Gallery? It would be interesting just to see how everyone else interpreted their versions of the How Entertaining challenge.

Debquilt wrote
on 7 May 2010 3:32 PM

Hi sgegna, they are local shows in Albuquerque, NM.  The first one  is later this month with our quilt guild.  Here is the link http://www.nmqa.nm.org/  It's the Spring Fling.  The winner are chosen by "Viewers Choice" in each category.  You don't have to be a member, but it doesn't have info. about mailing a quilt. At the bottom of the page you will see info about the Fiber Arts Fiesta, next year, May 2011.  That has quilts that are mailed in from around the nation.   The other show is our  State Fair in September.  There is the entry in the Fair's competition and our quilt guild has it's own show at the Fair, again chosen by the viewers.  The viewers choice awards don't get money, but you don't have to worry about it meeting quilting standards, just ones that look nice.

suzannegegna wrote
on 8 May 2010 11:03 AM

Hi Debquilt...thanks for the information.  Very nice of you to share.  Also am wondering too about the question Twister2 asked about putting our entries onto the share your Quilt Gallery.  I think that's a great idea...

suzannegegna wrote
on 8 May 2010 11:04 AM

Twister2...love your idea of putting our quilts on the share your Quilt Gallery, I'm curious too.  Love to get an answer on that one.

Twister2 wrote
on 8 May 2010 2:55 PM

It never hurts to ask! Or maybe we could just publish them there and ask for forgiveness later!

suzannegegna wrote
on 8 May 2010 8:11 PM

Hi Twister2....I'm not sure how to ask about the question of putting quilts in the gallery....I imagine the person to ask is Pokey but I can't figure out to make contacat with her. I notice that Debquilt wonders how many were entered, but maybe we need to contact Pokey directly and I don't know how.  I'd like to try to make contact before putting our quilts on the Gallery.....but would surely like to do that.

Twister2 wrote
on 9 May 2010 10:14 AM

Sgegna, since this is Pokey's blog, chances are she will read these comments on Monday when back at work. I will be holding off putting up pictures until we hear back from her here. The magazine editors might not want to reveal anything other than their selected choices until after that issue has a chance to publish first (which could be several months from now).  That is why I was asking first; the rest of my posts were just me being silly.

Pokey wrote
on 10 May 2010 7:03 AM

Feel free to post your entries in the photo galleries!

One thing that would be helpful is if you tag your photo with "How Entertaining." If everyone does that, then the photos for this challenge will all appear in the same gallery.

suzannegegna wrote
on 10 May 2010 8:00 PM

oh boy....I'm up for this and will now go post.  Thanks, Pokey.

suzannegegna wrote
on 10 May 2010 8:15 PM

I just posted my quilt, the full image of it  as I'm also using a detail as my avatar.   I used How Entertaining as the  tag, but it didn't show up that way.  I'll check later and see if another one shows up with the same tag.  Looking forward to yours Twister2.

Debquilt wrote
on 12 May 2010 5:16 PM

I posted my quilt, and did the "Name" like Twister2 did, using How Entertaining.  I liked sgegna's idea of using the closeup for my avaitar.  At first I put the photo in the file/URl and the close up thumbnail and all that showed in the list was the thumbnail.  I was able to take that out as I wanted my whole quilt to show.  Can't wait to see everyone else's quilts.   I'm not sure how to search for quilts by the tags, as I'm new to the website.

suzannegegna wrote
on 14 Jun 2010 12:01 PM

Hi Debquilt....I couldn't  figure out another way to contact you, but wanted to say I entered into the StitchThis challenge and am looking for sharing and votes.  My quilt is called Sister Swan....Did you enter?  Hope to hear from you.