Announcing the Winner of the Bernina & Quilting Arts "Stitch This!" Challenge

28 Jun 2010

I want to thank everyone who either entered a piece or voted for participating in our Stitch This! Bernina and Quilting Arts Challenge, the first of it’s kind on quiltingdaily.com. This has certainly been an exciting couple of months! With nearly 125 beautiful entries for this very special challenge I am happy to report we have a winner. Congratulations to Elena Kazmier Radock for winning a brand new Bernina AURORA sewing machine!

Your piece is beautiful and on the behalf of Quilting Arts, we are happy for you. I will be in touch shortly with specifics on obtaining your new machine.

Again, thanks to everyone for your participation. Stay tuned as we have some exciting news to announce tomorrow!

Comments

on 28 Jun 2010 11:55 PM

Congratulations Elena!

on 29 Jun 2010 11:16 AM

Good for you Elena! I hope you enjoy your machine! You will have to let us all know how you like it!

Darlar wrote
on 30 Jun 2010 3:08 PM

It would be great to have some more feedback on the contest, and what happens from here, if anything.

Dale Kathryn wrote
on 1 Jul 2010 4:40 PM

Congratulations to Elena - who seems to have completely disappeared from this site.

It seems very strange to me that one person had over two times the "views" (and fewer comments) of the next -nearest entrant. I counted about 25 other entries that came in on May 3 - and none of them had even close to 3,000+ "views". I find it hard to believe that this particular entry could generate so many "views" from members of this site - unless they are members who signed up for the sole purpose of "viewing" one particular contestant's entry.

The next closest popular entry was posted on May 25 and although it did not generate nearly as many "views" it generated more comments.

Since I did not enter this contest, these are not "sour grapes", but a comment on my perceived "unfairness" of this type selecting a challenge winner.

Dale Kathryn wrote
on 1 Jul 2010 4:44 PM

I apologize for the "disappeared from this site". I just "found" her.

ElenaRadock wrote
on 2 Jul 2010 8:19 AM

I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming kind comments and warm welcome to the Quilting Arts online community.

I feel honored that my entry in the Bernina & Quilting Arts “Stitch This” Challenge generated so much interest given the amazing creativity and quality of all the entries.  I look forward to continuing to be a part of this online community and staying in touch with the people I have met through this contest.

Warmest regards,

Elena Kazmier Radock

Darlar wrote
on 3 Jul 2010 6:01 AM

Suggestion:

What if we were to have a second "straw vote" ??  Only the people who entered pieces in the contest could vote.  They would be given a certain amount of votes, say 10.   This would give you the rankings of the  pieces as voted by their peers, and would be completely fair.  This is not to take away anything from Elena, her piece is fabulous and definitely deserved to be one of the top pieces.  However, in my opinion, there were several pieces that I would classify as winners that had very few votes;  they wouldn't necessarily have to win anything, a vote of from their peers would be very affirming.   I hope Pokey and the others will consider this.   Who knows how it would come out, maybe very close to the first vote or completely different,  it sure would be intersting to see.

Corliss3 wrote
on 6 Jul 2010 9:56 AM

I was a participant in this challenge and I knew I had slim chances of winning as my entries were so late. As pointed out to me also, I should have only entered my favorite and having 3 'cancelled out' each other. But many people reported having difficulty voting for any of them, much less mine even after going over an explanation of the process. I am trying hard not to be a 'sour grape' because Eleana's piece is very beautiful and original, but I too wondered about so many views. However, I want to thank Bernina for sponsoring the contest and I do congratulate Elena. If there ever is a next time, I would enter again.

Pokey, what was the announcement?

Just1L wrote
on 8 Jul 2010 5:23 PM

Elena I love your quilt.   The colors you chose gave it a sort of night time look.   I my opinion it was the stand out piece in the competition, that is why it received so many views, and so many votes, because it was so different from all the others.    That is why I voted for it.    There were many other noteworthy entries, but in my opinion your win was well deserved.