Announcing the New Editor for Quilting Arts!

16 Dec 2011

A couple of months ago I announced a few sizable changes at Quilting Arts (you can read more about those changes in this post). Now I’d like to share the fantastic news that we have a new editor for Quilting Arts! Meet Vivika Hansen DeNegre, a fiber artist and blogger I have admired for some time. She has written a number of articles for Quilting Arts and our related publications as well as been a guest on Quilting Arts TV. Recently I had the opportunity to interview Vivika.

1.              Tell us a little bit about yourself  Well, Pokey, like many QA readers, I have worn many hats over the years.  My educational background includes a BA in English from Providence College, where I spent my time focusing on creative writing (poetry), and immersing myself in literature.  My past career, however, was in pharmaceutical and biotechnology sales. I worked on both the East and West coasts for several different companies in a variety of roles.  I have a wonderful and supportive family who are all excited about my new role with QA.  I met my husband in college, and we have four great kids.

2.              What kind of quilting and mixed media do you like to do?  I love everything there is about quilting (except maybe tying off my threads and burying them)! My style is a bit varied:  I love making linear, modern, and colorful pieces which are densely quilted and highly graphic.  In 2010, two of my modern quilts were commissioned for the permanent collection at Yale New Haven Medical Center’s Smilow Hospital.  I also have a love of tattered vintage textiles and papers.  I have a series of small pieces in the works, which incorporates those vintage elements and features hand stitching, embroidery, photo transfer, and appliqué.  Lastly, I am probably most obsessed with a series of birds, which are made with a raw-edged appliqué technique.  I am moving toward incorporating vintage maps, stamps, and letters in those works and am very pleased with my recent pieces.

3.              What do you want to learn more about?  Surface design!  I’ve taken loads of classes, have many books in my personal library, and am looking to expand my abilities by focusing more in 2012 on patterning my own cloth.  I anticipate lots of paint and dye in my future…

4.              Tell us a little bit about what your hopes are for Quilting Arts in the future.  The past 11 years of your life have been focused on creating a wonderful magazine for the art quilting community, and I can’t express strongly enough how influential Quilting Arts Magazine has been in my development as a textile artist.  My vision for QA is to continue to promote the gorgeous artistry of quilt artists throughout the world.  I see a publication brimming with color, texture, and stitch that focuses on innovative techniques, masterful machine and hand stitching, interesting surface design, and the creative spirit that is alive in all art quilters.  I am blessed to be working with a fabulous team in the Sudbury office, including the awesome Ellen Seeburger whose creativity and experience have been a huge help so far.  I am looking forward to a wonderful career with QA, and can’t wait to jump right in!

Well, Vivika, we are excited to have you on board!

Vivika is working on her first issue, the April/May issue of Quilting Arts, but you'll meet her much sooner when she launches her Quilting Arts blog in January. I hope everyone will join me in welcoming her!

Comments

lrond01 wrote
on 16 Dec 2011 9:13 AM

Welcome Vivika!

Pokey, we will miss you. And as Vivika said, your magazine has influenced my development as a textile artist. I can't thank you enough. But you must move on and we shall survive. I will remain loyal to QA mag.

Line from Montreal

Muppin wrote
on 16 Dec 2011 9:26 AM

Welcome Vivika!

Jamie Fingal wrote
on 16 Dec 2011 9:44 AM

Congratulations Vivika!  I am so excited about your news!  You will bring great talent, fun and experience to the Quilting Arts family!  Whoohoo!

cybervykky wrote
on 16 Dec 2011 10:25 AM

Congratulations Vivika! I have followed your blog for some time. I think they have made an excellent choice for new editor! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us.

on 16 Dec 2011 10:26 AM

Congratulations on the new position and joining such a wonderful team!

on 16 Dec 2011 10:35 AM

Congratulations Vivika! QA is such a wonderful community, I'll bet you're excited to join them!

Jeannie EVH wrote
on 16 Dec 2011 1:54 PM

Congratulations Vivika! I have admired your artwork and your blog for years and I know you will fit right in at QA.  Pokey, thank you for all the inspiration you have brought to my home via your magazines. You will be missed. Good luck and happy trails!

on 16 Dec 2011 6:37 PM

Wooohooo!  Way to go Vivika....quilting mom makes the leap to the big time!   Congratulations, and Pokey....the very best of luck and wishes for you in Houston.  Look forward to seeing you both in Houston next November! Cheers, Sarah

lesliej10 wrote
on 16 Dec 2011 9:14 PM

Congratulations, Vivika!  I'm sure the QA family is happy to have you!  The baton is passing into capable hands.

Jeanelle@5 wrote
on 17 Dec 2011 9:02 PM

Welcome Vivika,

What a wonderful adventure you will be on! We are thrilled with your decision to carry the torch and look forward to hearing from you and QA. Congratulations!!

JudiM7 wrote
on 17 Dec 2011 9:10 PM

Hello! Vivika,

As a QA reader cant wait for your first issue as our new Editor.  And goodbye Pokey, we readers will miss you. Good luck to you both in you're new roles.

Judy from OZ

Meg Fowler wrote
on 20 Dec 2011 11:33 AM

WOW, Vivika!  Congratulations!  I'm thrilled to see you here as the new editor!

raynag wrote
on 21 Dec 2011 3:42 PM

Vivika is bright, talented, is the perfect choice. I am not only excited for her, I am excited for Helen and the staff of Quilting Arts.  What a dynamite team!

Signe4 wrote
on 24 Dec 2011 7:36 AM

There are two people in the photo.  Which one is the new editor?

on 24 Dec 2011 8:48 AM

Congratulations to Vivika! I love your work and your blog. And Pokey we shall miss you at QA but know you are not really leaving us, just moving on to bigger things. Thank you for all you've done for the quilting community!

on 24 Dec 2011 11:03 AM

Welcome Vivika.   Congratulations on your new position.  I look forward to seeing you in your first issue of Quilting Arts and reading your blog.  Hope we get to meet sometime.

All the best.

Ana Buzzalino

SheilaJ@2 wrote
on 28 Dec 2011 12:05 PM

I am looking forward to Vivika's approach to Quilting Arts.  Pokey will be a challenging act to follow, but a new approach is always refreshing.  Good luck to both of you.

I personally would like to insert what my preferences are.  I love the embellishment, surface design, and all the above mentioned areas.  However, I do not and never plan to do fabric painting .  I have seen a lot of focus on that in magazines lately.  I hope Quilting Arts will not use that as a main forum..

Thank you.

llewes wrote
on 29 Dec 2011 5:22 AM

Welcome Vivika!

Pokey, we will miss you. Best wishes from all at The Cotton Patch Uk.

Regards

Geoff Sewell

CypressJoan wrote
on 18 Jan 2012 12:32 PM

Pokey, I hope to be in touch with you in Houston very soon to acquaint you with the Houston Area Fiber Artists group. We surely welcome Vivika as new Editor of Quilting Arts Magazine. You have set a high standard.

casholmes wrote
on 14 Mar 2012 1:27 PM

Welcome Vivika

Whilst we are sad to see Pokey move on I know she leaves the QA in capable hands and look forward to seeing where you go and what you do.

www.casholmestextiles.co.uk