Can You Have it Both Ways?

8 Feb 2011

digital edition quilting artsI am a lover of the printed page. Always have been, always will be. I love the feel of the paper. I love to place a bookmark (handmade, of course) between the leaves to mark where I will resume reading when I pick it up again.

I love saving magazines to re-read and tearing out pages to pin to my idea board or slip into my project file. I love the smell of freshly printed ink.

On the other hand...lately I find I rely more and more on digital media and devices for my reading, communicating, and creating. What once were just cool toys to me are now cool time- and space-saving tools. I can store downloads on my computer or handheld device and read much of what I like for leisure or need for work on my iPad or Kindle. No shelf-space required!  (And no shipping costs, either.)

digital edition quilting arts zoomWhen I'm in the studio, I don't have to hunt for an article I want to refer to: it's right there on my computer. I can pull it up, go right to the piece I want, and zoom in and out at will. Digital technology also makes it easier for me to work and relax when I travel because I can take my "library" with me everywhere I go. And if I download an article to my computer, I can always print it out, if I want.

In fact, I'll admit it: there's many a day I wonder how I ever got along without digital technology, I'd be lost. And I know many of you feel the same way because Quilting Arts' digital publications such as digital subscriptions, our eMag, and DVDs are so popular.

But, do I see myself going completely digital anytime soon? That would be like saying I no longer need to see my friends in person because I chat with them on Facebook. Digital media and tactile media both play significant roles in my creative life. Why choose one or the other when you can have both?

P.S. How has digital media changed your creative life? Leave a comment below.

Comments

Meg Vida wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 4:52 AM

While I agree that not printing more paper goods saves trees, what do we think about the problem of how to recycle all the techno goods that become obsolete quickly or are considered 'disposable'. Fewer and fewer people repair old computers, laptops, cell phones, etc. The 'recycling' of those products goes on under horrible conditions. At least old paper can be reused. Just a thought.

Musicmaker wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 5:42 AM

To be able to take a picture of something I've sketched or painted, and then take it into Photoshop and use any of the thousands of free tools that are available online to further embellish it, and THEN to be able to print it out on either paper or fabric, in ANY size I want to work with, and continue the hands on process... it's like a wildfire in my creative imagination.  Going digital has convinced me that ANYTHING I want to do is possible!

jperaino wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 6:21 AM

I'm loving my Nook but I really, really wish Quilting Arts were available on that platform!

sanyara wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 7:20 AM

I'm in UK and I only use Paypal for overseas purchases - I keep looking , but Quilting Arts still isn't giving  Paypal as one of its payment options for the digital subscriptions...(sigh!)

marybunte wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 7:46 AM

I love using technology to find visual info, keep my photos available for printing on fabric, and get up to date info from Pokey.  But I would rather sit in a comfy chair (or perhaps the bathroom throne) to read magazines.

Lindy101 wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 8:13 AM

When QA first 'took me in', I was a scrawny little seedling artist.  It will be eons before I get to Redwood size and stage, but the www. world has made it possible for me to 'meet' and learn from artists all over the planet. The creative juices and myriad techniques are shared and exponentially increased the more I see and learn and wander about the web. I love DVD's and on-line tutorial's instant gratification, but I cannot ever envision myself letting go of thick, glossy QA magazine-even though I DO love the 'extras' available on QA Stitch... As you said, "Why choose?".

Caribquilter wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 10:29 AM

I love them both, but I still prefer the paper mag for the simple reason that I take with me if/when I need to wait for something or someone.

Plus I love taking it with me to our beach, nothing more delectable than a relaxed afternoon on a beach reading QA Mag, feeding my inspiration.

Beach and QA Mag work magic for me.

Tropical regards, Caribquilter

vlok wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 1:49 PM

I have not gone didgital yet, but it does have it's appeal.  Space saving is the big thing.  I tried the sample and the page did not move around smoothly for me.  I would like to see a whole page and then zoom in.  It could be a user problem, Will give it  another try.

Vickey

ndrennen wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 4:32 PM

I love to explore via the internet and I look at more options but I compare and contrast better with the physical pages in front of me. I, too, like to take them with me and use my "wait time" to think, conceptualize, read, invision, etc...and so I don't want to not have a physical copy. I also find the colors better in print.

on 8 Feb 2011 4:38 PM

I love print magazines, and am a subscriber to many.  Lately, as I have begun to rely on my ipad more and more for reading, the idea of having my magazines come to me in digital format is very appealing.  Since trying Quilting Arts in Stitches, and experiencing the many unique qualities of having the digital format (a LOT of extras, such as video tutorials), I think it would be great to get both print and digital.  I travel a lot and I really appreciate having my books loaded in my ipad.  Why not do the same with magazines?  I think I'm ready to take the digital magazine plunge!

on 8 Feb 2011 4:39 PM

Myra U wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 5:04 PM

When we went to a digital documenting system for nurses at our hospital over 10 years ago, I was so thrilled! I thought, "no more paper". Wrong!! We used MORE paper than ever before. However, I absolutely LOVE getting my quilting magazines digitally.  I know that it saves paper and trees and helps the environment. If I want to print something, I can do it very easily and only what I want. I would do this with ALL the magazines I subscribe to if it were offered. I also have an e-book reader device and LOVE it, too; mainly because I'm an instant gratification kind of person and with this wonderful tool, I don't have to wait for a paper book to come to me through the mail. I simply buy it, it downloads and I'm reading within a minute! IS THAT COOL, OR WHAT (sorry, I get carried away!). I believe digital media is absolutely the way to go.

CYooOhio wrote
on 8 Feb 2011 6:46 PM

I have to admit when the QA and CPS went digital I jumped in for both, but after at least 1 renewal of both digital subscriptions, I'm missing the paper versions and find that after spending 8-10 hours a day at work on the computer, when I get home I no longer want to see anything digital.  So, alas, I'm going back to the paper versions.

I think the digital is here to stay as many people want to be connected 24/7, but I've come to realize I need my paper time (smile).  I promise to recycle!!

on 11 Feb 2011 1:38 PM

I LOVE MY iPad!  It is always on the couch with me, I ordered the digital version of Quilting Arts thinking I would be able to sit and look through my favorite magazine.  Boo, it doesnt; work (sigh).  So I've requested my subscription be changed back to the old snail mail version.  It's so easy to take your ipad to the quilt store, to your sewing room, to the dentist, EVERYWHERE.  Plus I don't have to find space for all those pesky magazines.  Please make your magazines available in these formats.  I'll change over as soon as it is available ;-)

Quiltbeader wrote
on 17 Feb 2011 2:05 PM

I LOVE my e-subscription to Quilting Arts. Having the issues on my laptop means I can read or use articles from my QA issue without having to take bulky printed versions (which I wouldn't do anyway) when we travel. I'm also running out of room to store them in my studio.

My 8 member art-quilting group meets in each other's homes. Many of the projects we tackle are from QA magazine. Now I can take my laptop to the meeting and we all can see a technique from a Quilting Arts article on my screen as we try it.

Did I say I LOVE my digital subscription to Quilting Arts?!