How did you learn to quilt? In my family, the women passed down needlecraft techniques like sewing, embroidery, knitting, and quilting.
Many of my fellow quilters learned how to quilt after taking sewing classes in high school or during the great fiber art revival of the 1970s. But schools cut home ec programs and women entered the workforce, and for several years, few people learned how to sew, let alone learn how to quilt.
|Terry Grant shows how to bind a quilt
when it's small (and get a neat result)
on "QATV" Series 600.
Fortunately, the wheel has turned, and people are interested in learning how to quilt again. But where to begin? I suggest you small and don't go it alone.
Advice on Quilting for Beginners
1. Join a guild. Guild members are a great source of information, encouragement, and friendship.
2. Take as many classes you can. Every teacher offers something different, and you can learn so much from their expertise.
3. Use the right tools and materials. Buy good quality thread, sturdy cutting tools, and a reliable sewing machine. You will be thankful you did!
4. Start with small, easy quilts. Whether it's a small art quilt or an easy quilt pattern like a nine-patch, learning how to make a simple quilt will teach you the basics you'll need for bigger projects.
|Learn to quilt a landscape following Judith Trager's step-by-step directions
in her Designing Landscape Quilts video.
5. Relax, enjoy, experiment, but most of all, have fun!
One of the best ways to learn about more about quilting techniques—whether you are a beginner, intermediate, or advanced quilter—is to learn from experts in your own home via video. The advantage is that you don't have to travel, and you can watch the "class" over and over again.
The Quilting Daily Shop has scores of downloads, from Quilting Arts WorkshopTM videos to individual segments and full seasons of "Quilting Arts TV."
Download these video lessons for a quick, easy, and economical way to learn tips, tricks, and techniques that can make you a better quilter. Buy them for yourself or your favorite beginning quilter!
P.S. How did you learn to quilt? What, or who, helped you the most getting started? Leave your answer below.
Filed under: Embroidery, How to Quilt, Quilt Binding, Fabric Art, Quilting For Beginners, Hand Sewing, Quilt Patterns, Art Quilts, Quilting, Quilting Techniques, Easy Quilt Patterns