Fabric Postcards Make Fun Small Quilting Projects

2 Jun 2014

Whether you want to use up bits of this and that in your studio, experiment with a new supply or technique, practice your free-motion stitching, or you're just looking for something fun to quilt in a day, fabric postcards make great small quilting projects.

small quilting projects fabric postcards cheryl sleboda

Fabric postcards by Cheryl Sleboda, from the
Feb./March 2014 issue of Quilting Arts.
There are few rules when it comes to making these tiny, quick quilts. The finished size should be 4" x 6" and they should be relatively flat. You can mail them--just be sure to take them to your local post office to get the accurate postage and have the postcards hand cancelled.

Most fabric postcards consist of a decorative quilt top, a plain fabric backing, and batting made of fused felt, thin fusible fleece, or fusible interfacing. Use a zigzag stitch, satin stitch, or hand stitching to bind these small quilting wonders.

You can make these quick quilting projects even faster by making a large sandwich, stamping, painting, or fusing fabric over the top, and then slicing it up into 4" x 6" pieces. Then you just embellish and bind.

Here are some other ideas for decorating the small quilt top:

• Free-motion stitching or sketching.
  • Stamping with acrylic paint or fabric paints.
  • Fabric collage.
  • Fused appliqué.
  • Mixed-media collage.
  • Embellishment with seed beads, sequins, lace, and trims.
  • Hand embroidery.
  • Photo transfers.

When you've finished your postcard, write your message and the recipient's address with a permanent, fine-point marker. Then head to the post office to send your little masterpiece on its way.

You can't make quilted projects much quicker than this. But you can get each issue of Quilting Arts Magazine more quickly with a digital subscription. Check out our digital options to see which works best for you.

P.S. Have you made fabric postcards? What techniques do you prefer? Leave your comment (and a link to your fabric postcard projects, if you have one) below.

Comments

NeonKitty wrote
on 3 Jun 2014 7:53 AM

I use Peltex II (the heaviest 2-sided fusible) for postcards...it is quite stiff and perfect for this purpose.  Sometime miniature art quilts, sometimes just thread-sketching to enhance a lovely pattern on a batik....or, print an altered photo onto fabric, layer a piece of batting between the Peltex and the top layer and "carve" shape into the picture using invisible thread!  Time to start making pet postcards for Houston ;)!

Sandistyle wrote
on 3 Jun 2014 8:12 AM

I made a selection of fabric postcards last year and gave them to friends who were going on holiday to send them back to me. Once I received them back I wrote a book for my grandson which told him about the wonderful adventure the cards had been on . All in all the postcards had actually, in total, travelled more than three times round the world.

I made the postcards from cotton I had bought in Egypty but as it had been lying in a box for quite a while I thought I would make the story round the fact that the fabric should go off on an adventure. Every card arrived back safely and totally undamaged

Sandistyle wrote
on 3 Jun 2014 8:13 AM

sally13673 wrote
on 3 Jun 2014 6:07 PM

I have made sent perhaps more than 100 fabric postcards and consistantly had the same problem. Nearly every time I approached the counter at the post office I was scolded and warned that fabric postcards were not legal to send through the mail.  If I was not scolded, I was charged an exhorbitant postal rate for hand stamping, weight, etc. This happened in many places and states. In response, I still make fabric "postcards" but they now fit inside an envelope. I add regular postage to the envelope and drop them in the mail. It is a little disappointing, but better than being scolded on a regular basis.

on 3 Jun 2014 7:46 PM

Does anyone know, offhand, if Canada Post still hand-cancels and would accept fabric

postcards ? I would love to try this. Seems a great way to try new techniques without a

huge investment in a large project.

eswatniki wrote
on 7 Jun 2014 10:12 AM

I love making postcards for all the reasons you mentioned.  I even made a tutorial for our quilt group because I love them so much and gave them a kit to take home so they could make their own.

elaine-hemmedinbyhim.blogspot.com/.../Post%20Card%20Tutorial

Sheila M. wrote
on 7 Jun 2014 10:24 AM

Patricia , I live in Nova Scotia and send postcards often without any issues . Good luck :-)

JennieWhk wrote
on 8 Jun 2014 10:58 PM

What a great idea..

Thin I might try this in my teenager's workshop...