So, you want to write for us? We'd love to hear from you!
Below you will find submission guidelines for Quilting Arts, Quilting Arts Holiday (formerly Quilting Arts Gifts), International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene, and Modern Patchwork. If you're not sure which magazine to submit to, don't worry. We consider all submissions for the best possible placement.
Quilting Arts Magazine
At Quilting Arts, we celebrate contemporary art quilting, surface
design, mixed media, fiber art trends, and more. We are always looking
for new techniques, innovative processes, and unique approaches to the
art of quilting. We'd love to hear from you!
What are we looking for?
- Beautiful and inspiring contemporary quilts and exhibits.
- Sketchbook-inspired quilts for our Off The Page series.
- Artists with inspiring portfolios of work to be featured in our In
The Spotlight, Artist Profile, and Q&A articles. Show us your work
and tell us your story.
- NEW! the last word. column: Do you want to have "the last word"? Submit your completed essay (up to 800 words) along with a low
resolution photograph to email@example.com with "the last word" in the subject line.
- Unique techniques, new ways to use existing tools and supplies, and ideas we've never featured before.
If you are teaching, blogging about, or exhibiting your art quilts, you probably have great ideas to share!
How to submit
1. Write a brief description of your idea and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your
submission should give us an overview of what you propose to write with
enough detail and supporting information for us to carefully consider
2. Attach up to three low-resolution photos of your art or process to
your email, and don't forget to include your full name, website, and
Note: We work far ahead in the year and sometimes can't
fit a piece into the magazine right away. Our editorial review process
can take up to 12 weeks, but in many cases, we will respond to you much
sooner. No phone calls or follow-up emails, please.
In addition ...
- Artist profiles, media and product reviews, and reader challenges are written by our staff.
- We do all our photography in-house. If accepted, your work must be available to be shipped to our offices.
We look forward to hearing from you!
International Quilt Festival: Quilt Scene
Quilt Scene is our annual issue of fresh ideas for today's quilter including patterns
and projects, galleries of beautiful quilts from International Quilt Festival, Houston,
interviews, tips, and more.
Please note: The focus of this magazine is not art quilting, rather, it
celebrates the traditional-but with a lively, contemporary spin. We are looking
for articles geared toward both the traditional and intermediate/advanced
We encourage all submissions, however, we are specifically looking
- Quilted Projects
and Patterns--Anything from a hip home dec quilted pillow or tote to
patterns for a bed-size quilt, baby quilt, or table topper.
Techniques and Tips--We are particularly interested in quilt design, tips
for machine quilting, easy ways of binding and finishing, sewing and
machine tips for a new quilter, explanation on needles, threads for
specific uses, etc.
We will be accepting submissions to Quilt Scene through Friday,
May 15, 2015. Here's how to submit:
- Send a brief description of the project you propose to email@example.com. In the subject line, write "Quilt Scene."
- Be sure to include your name, address, website, and phone number, and list your credentials (such as teaching or previous writing experience).
- Please include up to three low-resolution jpeg photographs of the project with your email. One email and three attached low-res jpegs only (per project), please. If we are interested in your query, we may ask for more photos or higher resolution jpegs to be sent, but we do all of our magazine photography in-house.
You will receive an auto-reply immediately, acknowledging that your email has been received. If you send multiple submissions, our auto reply sometimes only acknowledges the first one. We will let you know within 12 weeks following the submission deadline via email whether we have accepted your query. No phone calls or emails, please.
Modern Patchwork celebrates the modern quilt movement in all its glory.
Modern Patchwork is a special issue packed with projects for today’s quilters and sewists featuring patchwork projects galore. The contemporary and fresh aesthetic of these projects pays tribute to the modern revival of patchwork, integrating traditional and innovative techniques to create items that are tasteful and distinctive.
We’re seeking fresh and stylish items with a modern-day appeal that are made in the latest fabrics. If you have a contemporary patchwork project of your own, original design that you’d like to have published, we’d love to see it!
Please note: Modern Patchwork is published four times a year—spring, summer, fall, and winter—so keep this in mind when considering the seasonality and/or colors of the project(s) you submit.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for original and unpublished projects to suit every room of the house. Below is our “wish list” for the upcoming issues. You are not limited to the following, but we encourage you to submit projects that fall within these guidelines:
§ Modern quilts of all shapes and sizes: bed quilts, wall quilts, lap quilts, throws, beach blankets, and mini quilts
§ Kitchen & Dining: pot holders, dishtowels, aprons, recipe book covers, quilted seat cushions, place mats, mug rugs, napkins and napkin rings, runners, and coasters
§ Sewing studio accessories: pincushions, needle books, wall décor, and sewing machine covers
§ Living room décor: pillows, photo frames, lampshades, fabric clocks, bookmarks, book covers, and rugs
§ Items for babies and toddlers: stuffed animals, diaper bags, toys, mobiles, play mats, bibs, and baby quilts
§ Bags of all sorts: totes, messenger bags, yoga totes, lunch sacks, clutches, and accessory bags
§ Items for on the go: key fobs, car accessories, coffee cup covers, wallets, luggage tags, and picnic blankets
§ Pet accessories: leash and collar sets, dog and cat toys, and pet jackets and beds
§ Tech accessories: camera straps, camera cases, and covers for computers, tablets, and iPads
We accept queries for feature articles on timely topics related to sewing, modern quilting design, and textiles. To submit a feature proposal, send a detailed outline of your proposal and any related images, websites, or resources illustrating the topic as well as a few writing samples. The query should give us an overview of what you're proposing with enough details and supporting information for us to carefully consider your idea. Feature articles are 1,000 to 1,500 words.
How to submit
2015 submission deadlines:
Spring – CLOSED
Summer – CLOSED
Fall – CLOSED
Winter – Friday, July 24, 2015
Project or article proposals should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Modern Patchwork' in the subject line.
Please include in your email:
§ A brief description of the project (or article) you propose
§ Your name, address, website, and phone number
§ A list of your credentials (such as teaching or previous writing experience)
§ Photographs of the project—up to three low-resolution jpegs per project.
Please note: if you are submitting more than one project, please send a separate email for each one. Attach ONLY three low-res jpegs per project.
If we are interested in your query, we may ask for more photos, or higher resolution jpegs to be sent, but we do all our magazine photography in-house.
You will receive an auto-reply immediately, acknowledging that your email has been received. If you send multiple submissions, our auto reply sometimes only acknowledges the first one. We will let you know within 12 weeks following the submission deadline via email whether we have accepted your project or query. No phone calls or emails, please.
If accepted, your work must be available to be shipped to our offices.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Quilting Arts Holiday 2015/2016
Thank you for your interest. Submissions are now closed for this issue.
Arts Holiday is our annual gift giving-themed special issue, packed
with beautiful projects from today's art quilters and fiber art
enthusiasts. This issue features projects that not only celebrate the
holiday season, but inspire gift giving of every kind throughout the
year. Projects can range from embellished pillows to wearable art, and
everything in between. We encourage submissions that celebrate all
faiths and traditions.
We are looking for holiday-themed projects and
gifts with a contemporary feel or modern twist. We welcome hand
stitched projects, as well as machine-made ones, surface design, and
mixed media. We encourage you to use your creativity!
Although you are not limited to the following list, we are specifically looking for:
- Ornaments and holiday-themed decorations for the home: table
runners, mantel decorations, garlands and banners, Christmas stockings,
Hanukkah accessories, wall hangings, pillows, Advent calendars, etc.
- Holiday greeting cards and unique gift-wrapping ideas
- Wearable accessories: scarves, earrings, pins, headbands, bracelets
- Bags of all sorts: totes, messenger bags, clutches, wallets, accessory pouches
- Items to take on the go
- Gifts with a sewing theme: needle books, chatelaines, studio decorations, sewing machine covers
- Gifts for pets: leash and collar sets, pet jackets, pet beds
- Tech accessories: camera straps and cases, computer covers, cases for iPods and tablets
- Gift ideas of all sorts-for your sweetheart, friends, co-workers, teachers