Tsukineko Ink Playtime

This post has 14 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 10 May 2009 8:55 AM

Yesterday at our Sewing Club we got to play with Tsukineko All Purpose Inks in the 12 color workstation.  What a blast!  The inks are permanent after heat setting, even on paper napkins.  The workstation comes with a box of Fantastix (bullet point and pen point), a base, and a DVD about the inks.

We used 12 sq. pieces of unbleached muslin as base fabric and proceeded to line draw, dot and stipple, wide line stroke (with the Fantastix on its side, and generally put the set through its paces.  What a lovely way to creat your own fabric.  We also used some of the $1.00 foam stamps you can pick up at Jo-Ann or Big Lots, wiped the ink on from the Fantastix and stamped as many as 4 times with one inking.  Of course each stamping gets lighter, but 4 were clear.  The 5th one was barely visible.

Just for the fun of it, I drew on some paper napkin with several colors then heat set them with an iron and went to the sink and got them soaking wet.  There was no spreading or  running at all.  I've found another source for papers for my collages!  Just use the clean up paper towels heat set them, and they are ready to use in your artwork.  Put the caps on the Fantastix and the ink stays moist, cleanup with warm soapy water.....Jim D    

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 10 May 2009 9:09 AM

TheNeedler:

Just for the fun of it, I drew on some paper napkin with several colors then heat set them with an iron and went to the sink and got them soaking wet.  There was no spreading or  running at all. 

Oh, my, this is good info to have, thank you!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 24
lheureux_art wrote
on 11 May 2009 12:40 PM

Thanks for the info, Jim.  I took a workshop using Tsukineko Inks, and it was so much fun!  I do need to get into my studio and play some more.

Michele Ann L'Heureux
Fiber Artist
Lancaster, California

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 11 May 2009 2:00 PM

I love these inks.  If you want to really controll them while you are working with them in details mix a few drops into Aloe Vera gel and they won't run.  Let them dry and press and they will wash for ever without coming out.  I use my artist brushes.  It is most like water color.  Drys lighter but you can make it darker by reapplying letting it dry and heating again.  I use them on silk alot painting childrens faces.  They absolutely glow.

enjoy

Whidbey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 11 May 2009 2:36 PM

Thanks for THAT tip, Whidbey.  I work with silk a lot and am always looking for technim Dques and dyes for it....Ji

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 12 May 2009 4:05 PM

I too love using these inks and they are one of my favourite products. I not only use them with the Fastastix but with a regular paint brush and also with the aloe vera gel. They mix well with setacolour paints as well. You need to heat set between layers. It was these 2 products that I used to create the sky in my "Storm's Sentinel" quilt posted on my profile page. To create the lighter area where my lightening comes out I took an eyedropper full of water and dropped it on. Dropping water on the inks pushes them out of the way and creates some pretty funky designs. I have also taken the eyedropper and filled it with ink for the reverse effect.

Jody

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 78
on 14 May 2009 3:07 PM

I just got some last month and I am in love. Last year I thought--big deal, fabric paint, so what? But then I used the fantastix and it's just like a wonderful juicy marker that never runs out. You can get such amazing detail while "painting" fabric. I used them for my project that will appear in the Quilting Arts Gifts Issue later this year. They are probably my favorite studio item right now. Glad I'm not alone!

Art. Just Do It.

Blog: ephemeralalchemy.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Caroberk wrote
on 16 May 2009 3:07 PM

These inks have to be my next purchase. All I hear about them is that they are great! Order going in this afternoon

Caroline

Caroline

All is well and all will be well

and all is most certainly well

Julian of Norwich

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 May 2009 3:51 PM

I just got them in the rustic colors.  Will need to get the aloe vera gel to see how that will work.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 May 2009 4:02 PM

Doing some surfing and here is a link I found so people will get a better idea of how you can use them once you get them. I know that the Online Store here carries the Classic Colors Set.

http://usaapp.husqvarnaviking.com/education/pdf/909.pdf

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 96
TheNeedler wrote
on 18 May 2009 3:56 AM

Thanks so much for the link.  It is exactly the information I was looking for........Jim D

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 12 Jun 2009 2:12 PM

I've had some since last October and haven't opened them yet - next thing on my list.

All good info here - thanks!

Kathleen

Kathleen

gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on 7 Feb 2012 12:07 PM

thank you for the link

Not Ranked
Posts 1
whidbey3 wrote
on 7 Feb 2012 1:57 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

You had questions about Tsukeneko inks?  I love them.

They run on most fabrics unless you mix them with Aloe Vera (from the drug store)  When mixed with Aloe Vera they become water color like.  It all depends on how much ink you put in the mix.  I do faces mostly or shadows so I use a dipped tooth pick or two worth of ink to a nickle sized dollop.  I use a brush to paint with.  This is very durable and washable.  The fabric I use ranges from 100% cotton to silk.  I have never had a problem with this method.  

I have also pre painted the fabric with Aloe Vera and let it dry before I started painting.  This also keeps it from running so much.  In that case I mix very little Aloe Vera with the inks while painting.

I have used ink straight from the jar on a brush to over dye small things like leafs to be appliqued that need a pop.  But there I don't need to control the spread of the ink.

It is always wise to test your fabric before starting .   Some run more than others depending on the manufactures finish.

Once you iron the painted surface everything is permanent and will not mix but as long as it is wet you can blend .  ( let dry before putting your iron to the fabric)

I will be glad to answer any other questions.  Good luck it is very freeing once you get control and feel comfortable. 

Whidbey/Sharyn Mellors

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on 7 Feb 2012 3:20 PM

OMGOSH!!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!! I will try again thanks to you :)

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS