Quiltie Postcard Challenge!!!

This post has 89 Replies | 17 Followers rated by 3 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 10 May 2009 3:36 PM

This is a challenge for Quilting Arts website members only!

Here is a chance for new art quilters to get their toes wet and for experienced art quilters to use up their scraps.  There are only a few rules involved in playing:

1.  Postcard must be 4x6" - orientation does not matter - landscape or portrait.  You can finish your edge however you want.

2.  Postcard must be quilted.  You must have a quiltie sandwich consisting of fabric-batting/interfacing-fabric. Some sewing must be done on the postcard.  Other than that, you can use whatever materials you want. It can be as mixed media as you want. Since it is a postcard, it should remain relatively flat.

3.You must reply to this postcard and insert your scan/pict of postcard in your reply to play in the challenge for the prize.  See the little filmstrip icon?  Click on that to load your pict.  I will use the random number generator to pick a winner.

6. You may enter as many times as you wish but each entry but be a separate reply.  When you are done with your postcard, you may do with it what you wish. You can send it to an art friend, send it in to Quilting Arts, or send it to me (so I can oooh! and aaah! over it).  I love mail art.  Email me if you would like to do that.  I will send you one back.

Ohhhhh!  I almost forgot!  Not really. There is a theme to my postcard challenge. You have to pick a word that best describes you and that has to be somewhere on the postcard.  Your postcard should somehow reflect that theme. My example will show you better than I can explain it.

Winner will be picked June 8th  Prize is a goodie envelope full of fun things like Adirondack dyed muslin, screenprinted fabric, a bunch of great papers to use, and some embellishments from my private stash.

I used both fabric, burlap, scraps, and different papers to make this postcard. 

I chose the focal image first. The skeleton fish is my own design that I screened myself using PhotoEZ.  I layered pieces of background papers and fabric scraps until I got the colors and depth that I wanted. I used some dark green thread and straight stitched the layers together. 

The bottom layer is two different pieces of overlapping fabric, heavy interfacing, and the backside of the postcard is dyed muslin.  I did a zigzag stitch closing the all 4 edges a few times around.  Pull the edges taut so you don't get it bunched up. 

I added the word "tenacious" after everything was sewn on with some glue.  I glued on some background scraps that I had done with watercolor markers awhile back to give it some contrast. The word was written with Sakura gelly roll black marker. 

I added on the rusty metal hearts for some contrast since the left side looked a little naked to me.  I decided I needed some spattering. I started out with some Tim Holtz alcohol inks.   I put a puddle into a plastic container and dipped an old toothbrush into it. I used my finger and pulled the teeth of the toothbrush so the inks spattered against my postcard.  You have to do this immediately because the alchohol in the inks dry very quickly. The spatter is also very fine. Whatever is lite colored and white will become pretty discolored very quickly.  That is what I wanted. 

At that point, I decided I wanted some white spatter. By the time I had decided that, the alcohol inks had long dried.  I put a bit of white gesso into the same plastic container and dipped the tip of a stiff bristle paintbrush into the gesso. Used my finger to pull the bristles while it was over my postcard.  Splatter was less uniform and got more splotches. Cool!  Did that a couple of times. Let dry completely. Done. 

BTW, you can do paint spatter by tapping paintbrush against another paintbrush if you don't want to get fingers dirty but spatter is bigger.

Don't forget to clean paintbrushes with gesso on there right away or they stay gunky. I am sooo bad about that.

One last thing about the theme, I chose the word "tenacious". I am big on follow-through. I will clamp on and not give up on something until I get something done.  People joke about how I will follow them and get them when they are dead. Get the "I won't give up even when I'm dead inference" with the skeleton fish?

Feel free to ask me any questions or leave any comments.  Belinda

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 11 May 2009 10:22 PM

I'm working on mine and hope to have a photo to post in a couple of days. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 13 May 2009 12:24 PM

Ok, so I just noticed on the front page that I'm the most active user on the forums and that's got me a little weirded out so maybe I'll spend less time here and more in my studio in the future. LOL

Anyway, here's my fiber postcard. I was really pleased with it yesterday when I was finished fusing the little scraps of green toned fabrics and papers to the pear but then when I foiled on top of it, I suddenly liked it a lot less. My theme word is "gratitude". I'm deeply grateful to my patron (my beloved, Greg) who has never once expected me to support myself with my art and is content, instead, to let me create and never stress over where the next bottle of Lumiere is coming from. :D

Don't ask me why a pear motif should blend with the emotion of gratitude, except that I'm a little obsessive about pears (I even like a little pear-flavored sake with my sushi) and can't seem to stop recreating them this year.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 13 May 2009 1:46 PM

I shall try to have one up by tomorrow evening/Friday morning. This sounds like fun!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on 13 May 2009 2:19 PM

I have never done a postcard before. This sound like a lot of fun. I will have to see what I can come up with.

mariesocrafty

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

Pablo Picasso

"Every child is an artist. the problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up" Pablo Picasso

Reatha

http://reathascorner.com/blog/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 14 May 2009 7:31 PM

My first postcard and it kept me awake last night trying to work out how to represent "springy" since this is my favourite time of year when I feel a lot more active - especially after our very abnormal winter!

The flower is Tyvek painted with 3 different yellow acrylic paints and some Winsor & Newton ink and heated. The centre of the flower is also Tyvek, painted with Winsor & Newton ink. The flower pieces have been free-motion stitched to the background using Sulky 40wt thread in orange and yellow in the needle and cream Invisifil in the bobbin.

The fabric background is dampened muslin painted with yellow and green Winsor & Newton ink - the 'stems' have been coloured with a green Staedtler Triplus Fineliner which was also used to write the word "Springy". The edges are satin-stitched with green cotton Aurifil in the needle and cream synthetic Invisifil in the bobbin.

The butterfly is from my collection of 'stuff' - and it just seemed to suit my mood!

I spent the whole day doing this and loved every minute!

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 14 May 2009 7:46 PM

Dale, so pretty!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 14 May 2009 8:49 PM

Love the detail within the pear. Also love the contrasting colors that you used with the pear and the background color.  The crooked black edging nice touch as well.  It all adds to the look. I like how you used your word to frame the pear.  Very creative and thoughtful.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 14 May 2009 8:53 PM

Your postcard is VERY is spring-y!  I can feel the crinkly-ness of the petals.  Even though you don't have sharp contrasts in color, the petals give it a nice contrast in texture.  Word and color have a great use of "line".

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 14 May 2009 9:09 PM

Thanks for your comments Belinda. I am still digital-camera shy and playing with Photoshop. The colours are a lot brighter in real life.

TADA / BC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 15 May 2009 5:58 AM

Thanks, Belinda.

We're off to New Orleans this morning for a weekend getaway... will see y'all on Monday! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 15 May 2009 3:41 PM

My postcard entry is comprised completey of scraps from a apple core quilt I made for my oldest daughter in a moment of madness. Let's just say the quilt is yet to be completed, but the postcard has. My word is "Busy". Because that is what I and so many other people these days are. I fused everything down, free-motion quilted and used some yoyos for the flowers that my daughter made. The colours are much brighter in person and reminded me of spring, which has finally arrived!!!!

Jody

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 15 May 2009 10:06 PM

Your Spring flower is very cool. It inspires me to actually do something with the Tyvek envelopes I bought in the winter!

Jody

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 May 2009 12:18 AM

Love that! Great colors. I like how you wrote the word over and over again and made it into the grass. I still haven't made a yoyo yet.  I will need to learn how to make one!  I always see them in the booths and in the stores. Meaning to learn but too busy to stop and do it.  Wonderful contrast in colors.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 16 May 2009 8:23 PM

Thanks for your comments Belinda. I am glad the word came across as grass as that was the effect I was going for.

Yoyos are fun and easy, especially with these new fangled yoyo makers. I think it took me 6 or 7 minutes to read the instructions and figure out how to make my very first one. Even my 5 year old can make a yoyo is about the same amount of time. I still need to do the final steps for her.

I can't wait to see what others come up with!

Jody

Page 1 of 6 (90 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS