What sewing machine do you use?

This post has 111 Replies | 41 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
soipaint wrote
on 5 Apr 2010 10:19 PM

i straight sew on my  singer featherwieghts and quilt on my Bernina 830 record. i like to leave them on different tables so get up and move to the next machine as the task  requires.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
irisheyes3 wrote
on 8 Apr 2010 12:47 PM

I love my Janome Craft 3600 - it's the third Janome machine in 35 years of sewing! This new one has a built in walking foot and a lovely "cruise control". I feel like it wants to sew! It has certainly encouraged me to do more machine applique embroidery and free quilting. Three of us in our quilt group have one - but Bernina and Pfaff are also popular choices.

Diane - Somerset, England

Not Ranked
Posts 21
cellogirl wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 10:08 AM

I have that Juki, too, and I love it.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
cellogirl wrote
on 9 Apr 2010 10:11 AM

My husband and I own a shop and we sell Janome machines. SO reliable, with a nice range of machines for all budgets. Great quality and we NEVER see them in for repair. I love my Juki at home that I've since before we opened our store, but I use the Janome 6600 when I sew at work.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Oregon Gal wrote
on 15 Apr 2010 11:00 PM

When I started quilting in 1989, my husband finally took pity on me and bought me a Pfaff Tiptronic. It was a vast improvement over what I had been using (can't remember now what that was) but I have never liked that Pfaff. And now that I am doing art quilts with free-motion thread sketching, it could not keep up. We discussed and researched many options. Finally bought a 1940 Singer 201. WOW - what a Great machine! It can sew through anything I ask it to, has plenty of power, and is much roomier in the open area.  Seems weird to get a 70-year old machine to replace one that's "only" 20 some years old - but we did.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
kbb wrote
on 18 Apr 2010 11:30 AM

just proves that there is no one "right" machine...what's right for you depends on what you want to do with it.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
barbara234 wrote
on 24 Apr 2010 8:15 AM

I have a Bernina Series 8 (830) that I use for about 90% of my sewing, a Record 830 Bernina from the late 70s and a Janome Expressions felting machine.

Love my Bernina machines!  They're wonderful.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
wildcard wrote
on 24 Apr 2010 2:14 PM

I use a heavy duty White Jeans Machine for most of my main sewing. This is one machine that I would like to try doing some free motion quilting and embroidery with (it is not fancy but I love it anyway!). I also have several antique or vintage machines that are in various stages of being serviced or repaired. I would like to use my mom's old Imperial for some of the sewing I have planned. It is serviced and ready to sew, but I need to find a manual so that I can set and thread it properly (any hints or suggestions would be appreciated).

Looking forward to seeing some of the art quilts you will be making.

Shannon

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Sandra G wrote
on 25 Apr 2010 4:13 PM

My machines are all Pfaff and I have the Fabric Mover, which is the Pfaff version of the Fab-u-motion, and I love it. You have to remember to move the fabric when you get to the edge of the sewing area. Also get a non slip sheet to place under the fabric, it will let the fabric glide over the machine surface with ease. The sititches are very even and it also works with zig-zag and other stitches for decorative effects and thread painting.

Sandra

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Kat Allison wrote
on 7 May 2010 8:25 AM

I used, and loved, my little Brother for most of 18 years.  I literally wore it out.  I replaced it with a Viking Freesia about five years ago and I have been in love ever since.  That machine is a wonderful piece of engineering.  It has a very simple computerized back end, and a fully mechanical front end.  It sews through stuff I'm embarrassed to admit to here, it never jams, it doesn't weigh too much so I can easily move it when I teach, and it does what I tell it to do without arguing (kids and husbands should work so well).  My saddest moment was when I found out that Viking isn't making this wonderful little machine anymore.  I wish I'd bought another one while it was available.  As far as machine beds is concerned,  when we built my workshop, we put a sewing machine sized hole in a 10' tiled counter top.  I can move the sewing machine and  drop my embellisher in the same hole.  It has been the best choice I could have made...it takes a lot of quilt to cover 10 feet of work surface.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Fiberolic wrote
on 2 Jun 2010 8:08 PM

My fabumotion is in a box where it belongs. I purchased the fabumotion on an impulse, thinking that I will never be able to master free motion: I took a free motion class and the  teacher inspired me by telling us it is possible to achieve with practice.  She also uses a simple mechanical machine.   I have an Designer SE, I would not want to part with it. 

I practice often in the hope that my free motion will improve and it is.  I also pay attention to designs and study quilts at quilt shows. more than I did before.

Check out http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/  When I grow up, I want to be just like her! 

foberolic

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 3 Jun 2010 8:55 AM

I have a Singer "Golden Touch and Sew" that I purchased new in 1971 with the coordinating cabinet. Did I say that out loud? For my 50th birthday, my wonderful husband bought me a Bernina Quilters Machine. I love this machine! I guess it's time to sell my Singer now. The Bernina does everything except embroidery. That's perfect for me as I am not a big fan of machine embroidery anyway I also have a tiny Toyota push button machine. I like to use that for paper projects..

Not Ranked
Posts 1
junkroom wrote
on 2 Aug 2010 7:59 PM

I'm not sure where you live but,please get a new machine...  I think the most important part of looking is the dealer.  I actually wanted a Vicking,but got a Bernina 730,the new one, because of the dealer.  If a Vicking has a problem it has to be sent out somewhere.  This dealer Atlanta Sewing Center,has great employees, great techs if you have a problem,free guide classes that you can take over and over.  This is my 3rd Bernina and I'm glad I got it.They also sell Babylocks.." I'm not being paid for this...."

Anyway, I'm looking in this forum to see if anyone has used a Fab-u-Motion with the Bernina 730.  I thought that the Bernina stitch regulator along with the FAb thing would the best ever. It seems that the sewing platform is 1/4 inch too high.  I bought is Fab 2 years and am just getting around to trying it.  I guess I'm just have to practice a lot...

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Sandra G wrote
on 3 Aug 2010 7:56 AM
Congratulations on your new sewing machine! You are 100% correct about the sewing machine dealer being one of the most important considerations when purchasing a sewing machine. Most Viking dealers have repair departments and repair machines in their stores while a small portions send them out. I have used the Pfaff Fabric Mover, which is similar to the Fab-u-motion, and love the results with my Pfaff machines. It does work best when the Fabric Mover surface is level with the sewing machine stitching area. Perhaps you could use a piece of 1/4" plywood or something similar to elevate your sewing machine to keep the stitching area level with the fab-u-motion. Check with your dealer to find out if the Fab-u-motion is compatable with your Bernina.
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 88
hpthecat wrote
on 17 Aug 2010 11:05 AM

I am reading this thread because I am currently researching a variety of machines. Now that I am finally an 'empty nester' I have 'that room' I have always wanted-- and I'm ready to update my toys....

Currently I have a 17 year old Kenmore 36. It was $400 back then, when money was worth something...LOL. It was top of the line just before getting into the computerized models, and for all these years has served me faithfully. Mostly I do home decor, 15 years worth of Halloween Costumes, and some quilts.

Anyway.....I am having serious issues with the cost of EVERY MANUFACTURERS embroidery and sew/embroidery combo machines.

There is no big deal about these machines that they warrant costing "A reasonable down payment on a car," ...as far as I am concerned.

They have computers in them. Fine. What the machines computer actually does is very limited compared to what a lap top computer's full capability is if you just compare "Computer to Computer"-----  Yet I can buy a laptop at Wal-Mart for $300. Does anybody "get" what I am saying??

So...take a dependable machine with well thought out mechanics--- what maybe ...$500?? on average...okay...I'll be generous...some people like to spend a lot, it makes them feel special.....$1000.....and add the $300 worth of  "computer"............$1300 TOPS IS WHAT THESE MACHINES ARE WORTH. Regardless of manufacturer---

The fact that dealers can attempt to WOW you by knocking $3000 off, or by sending you to Alaska on a cruise--- just points to how ridiculous the prices are to begin with. I need a reliable machine I can grow with, maybe learn a few new things...something I will own and enjoy for the next 20 years.....--- but I would like to tell the manufacturer's who set the MSRP's .....Don't blow smoke up my skirt, I wasn't born yesturday. Just sell me a good machine for a fair price, in an honest way, no games. American's have enough 'debt issues.'

Embroidery is an 'Old Fashioned" technique...women used to do it by hand..by candle light....it would be a tragedy to see modern women priced out of such a historical tradition.......

Bernina 820, Babylock Evolution, Babylock Embellisher, Babylock Audrey.

Page 5 of 8 (112 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS