New member-Hello!

This post has 7 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
lcordova wrote
on 13 May 2009 6:20 PM

Hi, I'm Lynn. I've never joined an online community before. I am 54 years old and a self taught quilter. I watched PBS quilt shows and finally got up enough nerve to try quilting about 15 years ago. I am not very patient with repetition so after trying several quilts that made the same block over and over I quickly started changing patterns and designing my own. I have been a subscriber to QA for a couple of years now and I LOVE IT. I am branching out and trying new things. I have started making pet portraits after reading several articles in the magazine and am now comtemplating painting pictures on material, like acrylic and watercolor artists. My biggest problem is poor health and I work, so finding time when I feel good and have enough energy is sometimes difficult. I have never lived anywhere close to a quilt group, although I did start one in a town I used to live in. That was fun while it lasted. I hope to make this forum my quilt family.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 14 May 2009 6:14 AM

Welcome Lynn!  You sound like my kind of artist.  I am self taught also and also like to experiment!

Have fun on the boards!

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 14 May 2009 6:50 AM

Hi Lynn we share a number 1955 :) also about the same time quilting and wanting to do something differant , We do have a guild here but my quilts dont seem to fit in with their reality so thats why I'm here to, I live in southern Okla and my quilts gets raves from some and disaproval from others but I make them because I love it , Welcome Home :)   Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 7
lcordova wrote
on 17 May 2009 3:51 PM

Thanks.

I didn't get back to you sooner cause I don't know how to navigate yet. If you can't wtch pokey's video, where else can i take a crash course ?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 18 May 2009 6:13 AM

Hi Lynn,

You can ask any of the moderators a question.  Start by filling out your profile in the upper right corner link.  And take a bit to look around the Photo Galleries.  If you get stuck, post in the Help/Suggestions forum, and one of us will give you a hand!

Cheryl

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
13Dandelions wrote
on 2 Jun 2009 2:29 PM

Hello - I'm a new member too, and I was interested in what you said about the quilt guild. I had the same experience. I make art quilts, and they all just looked at me like I was nuts- with kind amusement. I love what I do, whether the result are good or bad. I guess it just depends on who is looking at your work. I have sold a few pieces, so I must be doing something right, although some of my stuff is not so good too. It is so nice to find others who share our vision of what quilts can be. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 907
Muppin wrote
on 2 Jun 2009 2:45 PM

Welcome SunniH! 

Cheryl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 2 Jun 2009 3:07 PM

Hi SunniH  the guilds are filled with nice ladies but some have a very limited ideal of what a real quilt is, I feel some of mine are great and some probably arent too, but before I make it I cant always see it and after it becomes like  a child so I'm not the best judge, Out here in rural Oklahoma I dont think I will ever see an art quilt guild so thats why this place could be so helpful, in a few weeks Ive had more helpful and enlighting conversations on quilts than in years and years here, Welcome   home :)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS