Blog hosting sites?

This post has 16 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 14 May 2009 6:01 AM

After struggling with setting up Live Journal to behave more like an actual blog, I'm still not thrilled with my results. Where do you all have your blogs hosted? Why do you like that site? What are the drawbacks? I'd appreciate any feedback! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 14 May 2009 6:11 AM

HI Judi-

I use Blogger.com, which is easy to use.  I host the blog layouts from their site on my own website, and it was easy to do and set up.

I know lots of people use Wordpress and really like them too.

Cheryl / Muppin

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 14 May 2009 6:24 AM

Hi Muppin, thanks for the speedy reply. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you host the layouts from their dite on yours, but I'm guessing that's one of those things I'll learn as I go. Does Blogger.com allow you to customize your color scheme, etc. on a free account or do you have to pay a yearly fee to get themes?

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 14 May 2009 6:27 AM

They have layouts for the free sites that you can customize all kinds of ways.

As for having it hosted, basically, I use their editing tools, and then Blogger puts the files on my website and server so it's hosted on my end, not theirs.  Just an option for you, but not required.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 14 May 2009 6:34 AM

Thanks so much. I went over there after I posted and saw all the neat ways I can customize a blog... very cool, thanks for your help!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 274
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 14 May 2009 8:16 AM

Hi Judy - I also use Blogger.com. I tried Yahoo for a while, but didn't find it as user-friendly as Blogger.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 May 2009 4:15 PM

I am a huge blogger. I use blogspot.com (blogger) since it is pretty user friendly and it is free. I have 3 active blogs with them right now. I gave up my website since I don't actively teach workshops nor exhibit in galleries.  I never updated them like I did my blog.  Blogger has a lot of good, free stuff that you can put on there.  Typepad is also used a lot. You pay for that but the fee is not much. A lot of artists seem to veer towards blogger or typepad.  I will be happy to help with blogger, if I can.  Google is a big help as well since there are a ton of sites out there that give out free advice on any problem you might have with them.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 17 May 2009 3:54 AM

I'm a fairly new blogger, and use Blogger!!!  its been relatively easy - I'd say probably the hardest thing is to understand the terminology.  Once you get, oh that means this... things get easier.

In my previous life I was a secretary, and there are still big arguments in this house when my husband shouts "hit the enter key" - wot enter key.... oh you mean carriage return!!!  ggg

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
tiedyejudy wrote
on 18 May 2009 5:42 AM

I have 3 blogs on blogger.com and I love how easy it is to use and customize.   It probably helps that in my past life I was a computer programmer, so terminology and concepts are fairly easy for me to understand.  But even for a non-tecchie, blogger.com is pretty straightforward.  Sometimes it just takes browsing around and playing to understand some of the features... kind of like learning how to quilt!

Judy Sall

www.tiedyejudy.blogspot.com

'Busy hands are happy hands... especially when fabric, dye, thread, beads, etc., are involved!' 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 18 May 2009 1:12 PM

Thank you, everyone, for all your great suggestions! I just got back late last night from a weekend vacation with my hubby, but before I left, I signed up with Blogger.com. I haven't started to build my page, yet, but I'm hoping to get some help with it from hubby and my daughter this weekend.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SewDanish wrote
on 26 Jun 2009 2:23 PM

I'm on blogger as well and I'm really pleased. I'm a fairly new blogger (since March) and it has been really easy to set up, edit and add gadgets as needed. Good luck with your project. My blog can be found at htttp://SewDanish.blogspot.com if you want to have a look.

Birgitte

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 26 Jun 2009 8:17 PM

YAY! I finally got my blog up and running and tonight I updated it with info on two new quilts I'm working on. Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 888
Muppin wrote
on 27 Jun 2009 8:45 AM

Great Job Judi!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 27 Jun 2009 9:43 AM

Thanks Muppin! You guys are so supportive, it's really awesome. <3

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 28 Jun 2009 8:55 PM

Great Blog! I like what I see so far. Keep it up.

Jody

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS