Do you remember your first?

This post has 10 Replies | 6 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 May 2009 8:45 PM

There are a lot of different artists in our community.  One of the discussions going on in the forum is about calling yourself an artist. I was thinking about this and this led me to thinking about remembering the first piece I did with fabric. 

What was that one thing that you created with fabric that hooked you that made you never look back?

I had to go back in my blog to see what it might have been. I had been working on several things at once around that time. I have a tendency to multi-task and work on several things at once.  Not so long ago, I was one of those people who said that I would never work with fabric and would stay with paper and metal.  Well, never say never. Look at where I am today. Things have changed a lot in just over a year.  It was in January 2008 when I leaped over to the over side and decided I liked the view from there.  Oddly enough, it was around the same time that my sister was diagnosed with cancer.  Fabric and sewing still offer a lot of comfort for me. 

This is my Betty doll. My version of the popular dotee doll. My friend, Harriet, gave me one as a giftie.  I had to make one of my own.  So, I would have to say that Harriet's gift and the heart journal below were the first two fabric pieces that helped make me into the fabric/quilt artist I am today.

My heart journal was the one thing that lured me to "the other side". I was so totally hooked after I did this fabric journal.  I am not loading the pages here because there are several picts.  You can see the picts though if you click on the links. 

http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/2008/01/heart-journal-with-binding-done.html

http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/2008/01/heart-journal-cover-with-copper.html

http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/2008/01/heart-journal-covers.html

http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/2008/01/breakfast-and-heart-journal-cover.html

I have a thing for hearts - especially for puffy hearts. What about you?

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 16 May 2009 9:35 PM

The Betty doll is really nifty - what size is it? What hooked me on working with textiles was making these life-sized scarlet macaws. I had been working in a pet shop in Reno NV and adored the one who temporarily resided there. A couple of years later and in a slightly better job but still unable to afford the bird, its cage and its feed - not to mention the noise these pretty guys can make,  I decided to make myself one. The second was made in trade for a custom crocheted shawl. The photo is ancient so I hope it turns out okay. Long story short, I started by making what ended up to be about a dozen baby quilts for family and friends while I dabbled in a lot of other media like painting or quilting sweatshirts, making mirror frames, handmade bird ornaments, that sort of thing. In 1994 I started joined the Reno quilt guild and started quilting almost exclusively. These days, between all the cool stuff I'm doing with quilting and artist friends with adventurous spirits and Quilting Arts, it's going to take a bit longer to get those bed-size projects done. (Sorry about the initial size of photo - I downsized it a little so it would load for those with dialup. K )

TwoBits-scarlet_macaws1980

krys

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 16 May 2009 10:42 PM

Very life-like and the picture came out really well. They are great.  My little Betty is only a few inches tall. They are babies.  Here is the blog of the dotee doll originator:

http://dotslifeandart.blogspot.com/2008/01/dotee-doll-fervour.html

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 32
tiedyejudy wrote
on 18 May 2009 5:51 AM

I would have to say that my hand-stitched wall hanging 'Monument' may have been the turning point for me.

I made this a number of years ago using hand dyed fabric and a picture in my mind of Monument Valley before I ever saw it in person.  It hangs now in my office over my desk where I can see it whenever I come into the house.

Judy Sall

www.tiedyejudy.blogspot.com

'Busy hands are happy hands... especially when fabric, dye, thread, beads, etc., are involved!' 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 18 May 2009 5:59 PM

Judy, this is wonderful, hard to realize you'd never been there when you made it - you caught the atmosphere perfectly with this piece, something that photographs simply don't seem to be able to do fully. The endless vistas, the sky, the sense of timelessness and "heat" of the colors. Nice to see!  Krys

krys

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 18 May 2009 6:19 PM

Wish i could see more detail.  I see the richness in the colors.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 468
okieLinda wrote
on 20 May 2009 4:36 PM

In about 1966 my little sister had a Giggles and it was almost Christmas time so I made Giggles a whole wardrobe out of left over clothes built a closet and little hangers the works , I was 11

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 139
reginabdunn wrote
on 20 May 2009 5:22 PM

The first fabric quilted piece I made was a sampler in a class using one of Alex Anderson's books. My teacher taught us how to choose colors of fabrics (basically using a color wheel which I had never done) and how important it is to use different values (which was also new to me). I didn't stick with traditional pieced quilting, but I learned to love choosing colors and textures of fabrics. I'm thankful for that first class being such a positive experience.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 238
Jody Johnson wrote
on 20 May 2009 7:59 PM

My first was an alternating 4 patch/solid block quilt with an inner border, zinger and outer border and it still hangs on the wall of my studio. I was so affraid of pattern that the entire quilt is tone on tone except for a navy fabric which has tiny graphic tulips. The colour of the quilt included navy, sage green and a harvest gold colour. The quilt is very reminiscent of amish quilts, minus the beautiful quilting you see on these quilts. My is simply straight lines stiched on the diagonal across the 4 patch blocks with none in the borders.

This was the quilt that hooked me on quilting. I keep this quilt hung up as it reminds me of how far I have come.

Jody

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 227
caren12 wrote
on 16 Jun 2009 12:28 PM

Not to sound to simplistic... but I tend to agree with my little girls.  If you create something you are an artist!  Not all of use will be da Vinci or picasso, but that dosent mean we aren't artist.  I think you are an artist if you enjoy creating, and work at growing and expanding your art.  It is just a label.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 16 Jun 2009 4:17 PM

Hi

You really asked two questions.  When can you call yourself an artist

and

What was that one thing that you created with fabric that hooked you that made you never look back?

I entered a photo of my first quilt on this website about a month ago.  Basically it was 9/11/2001 and I had just moved here so everything I owned was still in boxes but the first thing I creative I could put my hands on was fabric, thread and needles.  I made the quilt to calm my hands and never went back to my other art forms.

the answer to how I knew I was an artist at heart happened while I was in college.  I had put my paint brushes and paints away so I could concentrate on my two kids, husband and school.  I allowed my self to take an art class in my senior year.  It was a class for grade school teachers so how much trouble could I get into?  The assignment was make something out of paper mache.  We were snowed in that night for a week so with nothing else to do I threw myself into this assignment and had a wonderful time.  You know you are an artist at heart when you make an Owl with a 4 foot wingspread and everyone else covered their beer bottle with paper mache.

My art is the first thing I think of in the morning and the last thing I think of at night.  Without it I wither.  What else could I be?  I have other lives as a mom, grandmother, wife, friend and tax accountant but my ART is the real me.

Whidbey

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS