I'm stuck

This post has 5 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
eileenkny wrote
on 20 May 2009 4:07 AM

I've been working on this since January and I'm stuck. I don't know if I've lost the feeling or what. Where should I go next with this? You can see my outlines of what is supposed to go in. Also, I'm stumped on the background. I want to do some kind of forest-y looking trees. Thanks in advance for your advice. eileenkny

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 350
on 22 May 2009 1:51 AM

It is hard to help with someone's background unless you know what their whole vision is and what their style is.  Also, I don't know what style of sewing/quilting you really do. That has a lot to do with it.  Since I come from mixed media, I can only tell you from that viewpoint.  I might create a silkscreen of trees and stencil it onto fabric. I could then use fabric paint or the Tsukineko inks. I would then stitch around that.  I am not adept enough at sewing to actually cut out trees and then sew them onto another piece of fabric and have them look good. My trees would be skewed and probably funny looking. I would suggest looking at Kelli Perkins new DVD on doing transfers onto fabric or at Melanie's new book about transferring ideas onto fabric and then creating a quilt from there.  I could see where the ideas from Melly's book could help you with your background. That's all my brain has at 4 am.

Belinda aka crazyartgirl

Blog:  http://alteredbelly.blogspot.com/

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 22 May 2009 2:48 PM

I love it so far.  I can see that there is a photo right below it of the original maybe.  How realistic do you want it to be?  I make my main pieces in what I call QUILTLETS they are stan alone then I can audition back grounds till the one comes along that feels just right.   I was just reading the original Winny the Pooh to my grandsons and I fell in love with the trees in the hundred acre woods.   They were blobs of water colors in two greens with ink scribbles around and through them to form bark and folage.   I can see that with tsukeneko ink and freemotion black threads.   Very effective and easy. 

Remember to paint a tree you no longer have to start by counting the leaves.

whidbey

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Krys2 wrote
on 25 May 2009 8:39 PM

This is looking good, lots of contrast. It does depend on your initial vision, and how much playing around with mixed media you want to do. With this nice base, I'd probably play with adding texture in the tree trunks and canopy. Perhaps ripping (or cutting slightly off grain) thin strips of fabric to make the tree trunks or branches, with one or two in front of the building, that sort of thing, although not too much or the vertical shapes will overpower the piece. In the canopy - I do like the idea of stenciling, and you could make a few individual leaves stand out, by adding "snippets" - little cuts of fabric with fusible webbing, so you can simply iron them down. Or use a forest-based fabric and add fibers to get dimension - crumpling together the threads of multiple-shades of embroidery floss is fun, too. Hope this helps to jump start your ideas a little...

krys

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 21
eileenkny wrote
on 26 May 2009 4:01 AM

Thanks so much for the ideas. I'm printing them off and percolating them for a while. You've given me a couple of ways to go.

eileenkny

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
on 26 May 2009 5:24 AM

I really like what you have started and understand how easy it is to get "stuck."  You might try to get ahold of a small book called, Trees as a Theme, by Jan Beaney and Jean Littlejohn (I think this is available from QA).  I have used this book several times when depicting trees of all kinds.  It has wonderful pictures showing sketches, techniques, embroidery, etc.  It is not a step-by-step type of book--more a wealth of inspiration and ideas.  Good luck!  Ginny

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS