Will Paint stick to high performance fabrics

This post has 1 Reply | 3 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 138
reginabdunn wrote
on 24 May 2009 4:52 PM

I've been shopping for a short sleeve shirt that is made out of wicking fabric and has UV protection. All the shirts I find are solid colors. I've been wondering if I can make them more attractive with fabric paint (stamping designs, mark making, etc.) or use Shiva sticks on them. Do any of you know if the paint will be permanent on that type of fabric?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 64
on 25 May 2009 4:33 AM

The shirts that I've seen have been made of cotton and/or bamboo fibers that have been chemically treated to provide UV protection.  By painting over them you may end up inhibiting the UV protection in the area you paint.    I would test whatever you're going to use on the inside of the shirt first to see how well it works before painting on your final design.  A textile paint that doesn't add stiffness when it's dry would be a good choice for this type of project so the shiva sticks would be perfect.   Remember that you'll need to be able to heat set whatever paint you use so be aware of the fiber content of the shirt - a lot of them have lycra added to them to add flexibility for ease of wear.  In that case you might want to heat set in the dryer rather than using an iron so you don't scorch the fabric.

Good luck!

Sue Bleiweiss

http://www.suebleiweiss.com

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS