Setting fabric dyes

This post has 20 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 18 Jun 2009 4:40 PM

Hi... again.

You are speaking my language here!

I say, thicken it. It will stay where you intend it to be if you thicken it.

With MX dyes, you must batch but unlike with some paints this doesn't mean heat setting, it means placing in a sealed container over night.

Author: Inspired to Quilt
Melanie Testa<--my art
Go play in your studio!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 18 Jun 2009 8:37 PM

Thanks again, Melly! I peeked at your site today and saw the lovely little vid of the thickened dyes being used over batik wax... what a smart way to apply the final layer, it made my eyes pop.

If I batch set something I've painted only in certain areas overnight in a closed bag or container, will the color not migrate to where I don't want it?

I should have started all these experiments last week when I really wanted to but I got sidetracked by a couple of other projects and won't be able to revisit my dye play until sometime next week.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 218
MellyT wrote
on 19 Jun 2009 3:05 AM

You asked: "If I batch set something I've painted only in certain areas overnight in a closed bag or container, will the color not migrate to where I don't want it?"

Ask this question again but different. I am unsure if I am reading it correctly.

I think the answer is, if you have thickened the dye, no migration will occur.

Again, if the dye has been thickened, even if the piece touches itself, no dye migration will occur.

But put the piece in the bag when it is fairly dry.

Author: Inspired to Quilt
Melanie Testa<--my art
Go play in your studio!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 19 Jun 2009 7:25 AM

Melly, that was the answer I've been hoping for, that the dyes will not migrate. Thank you! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Not Ranked
Posts 2
FibreBender1 wrote
on 19 Jun 2009 9:34 AM

I hope that you are taking safety precautions with the dye powders.  You should always wear a mask when you are working with them.  Once they are mixed with liquid, they are pretty safe, but I can't stress enough that you should NOT breathe in the powders.

I have been dying for a few years now and there are many sites and good books out there to help -- try Ann Johnston's books for fun recipes and suggestions.  It is quite addicting -- my stash didn't get out of hand until I started dyeing...!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on 19 Jun 2009 9:56 AM

Nice to know I'm not the only one who dyes fabric like that !   I find after rinsing and washing I just throw my newly made fabrics in to the dryer and run for at least 35 minutes.  It heat sets them well and makes them colorfast  My friends and I are dyeing mega yards of fabric next week. It's always fun in  a group, because you never know what's going to happen with someone else's experiment.

Happy Dyeing.

Appliquecrazy

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS