"Steam a Seam 2 and paintI

This post has 20 Replies | 10 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
BrendaF@17 wrote
on 1 Jul 2009 8:18 AM

Hi Karen,

I have been wanting to give this a try. The instructions are a bit hard to follow  - I agree. My experiment - SAS comes with two papers sandwiching the fusible. I cut a 4" square of SAS.  I removed the first protective paper exposing the fusible.  Taped it to a plastic bag (fusible side up) and painted it with Lumiere Gold paint. I am letting it dry. (I need to let it dry 24 hours.) My next step will be to use an Applique Pressing Sheet. I will place the sheet on my ironing board, place my painted web on the Applique Sheet painted side up. Then place another Applique Pressing Sheet on top as I don't want any bits of  fusible or paint on my ironing surface or ironing board. Then, if it works I plan to cut out my shapes and fuse (painted side up) to my project using a Applique Pressing Sheet. What I am hoping will happen is the paint will fuse to the webbing and give the look of organza.  I don't know if it is going to work, but giving it a try! Karen, I'd be interested in knowing how your doing with your sample, too!

Brenda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MCConley wrote
on 1 Jul 2009 4:08 PM

Hi Karen!

If you go to Marcy Tilton's website she has a downloadable pdf preview of her "On the Surface" CD - on page 7 (of 13) her process of painting on fusible web is discussed a bit more fully. The URL is http://www.marcytilton.com/index.php?cid=129 . I found that this short excerpt from her CD gave me a clearer understanding of which side to use and why. Hope this helps!

Marie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 116
on 30 Aug 2009 1:33 PM

I love the rusting idea!  I love rusting fabric!

Barbara Triscari   ~Artsi Fartsi Triscartsi~ 

www.triscartsi.com       www.betoncat.com    www.Triscartsi.etsy.com     www.betoncat.etsy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 116
on 30 Aug 2009 1:54 PM

I use my left over fabric paint to paint fusible web.  It takes very little paint.  I also will lay fusibles or scrim, or other thin materials underneath my fabric when I paint to soak up the extras.  Lots of fun and economical.  I haven't had much time to use the fusible yet.  Just a little under some thin fabrics to adhere it to a base material.  You can also melt it and the top fabric (if polyester) and get some fun results.  I have a blog with some photos of my photo albums using painted/printed  interfacing that has some places where I have used the fusible underneath.  you can check it out at www.triscartsi.com

Barbara Triscari   ~Artsi Fartsi Triscartsi~ 

www.triscartsi.com       www.betoncat.com    www.Triscartsi.etsy.com     www.betoncat.etsy.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 38
13Dandelions wrote
on 22 Aug 2010 8:46 PM

Thank you Barbara, i just looked at your website, it is just beautiful. And so is your work. I can't wait to try your suggestions.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 905
Muppin wrote
on 8 Sep 2010 9:38 AM

That is a fun technique to try.  I painted on HeatnBond Lite and it also turned out great. 

Love you website too, Barbara!

Cheryl

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS