Photo editing/alteration software?

This post has 17 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 30 Jun 2009 8:16 AM

What photo editing software do y'all use? I'm currently using Paint Shop Pro but I've heard such good things about PhotoShop that I would love to take that plunge. However, the price is prohibitive. I've read, though, that PhotoShop Elements is a less expensive way to do fun stuff with photographs. I'm looking to do typical photo editing stuff, but I'd also love to play with some of those "brushes" (isn't that what PhotoShop calls it's special effects?) to alter my photos and scans.

Anyone have any favorites?

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Pokey wrote
on 30 Jun 2009 9:16 AM

I use (and adore) Photoshop. Love love love the brush feature and lots of cool free brushes can be found on the Internet. I like to distort them (rough 'em up a bit!) and create Thermofax screens.  If you can't swing full blown Photoshop, I would imagine Photoshop Elements has the brush feature, but you may want to check with Adobe to be sure. 

Pokey Bolton

Founder of Quilting Arts Magazine

TV Host, Quilting Arts on PBS

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 30 Jun 2009 9:16 AM

Hi Judi - I use Photoshop Elements 6 in my Macs. I am still learning how to use it (actually, what I should say is "I am too busy playing with it to learn how to use it properly!!"), but I find it to be quite intriguing to see the effects that can be created with it.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
thegrita wrote
on 30 Jun 2009 10:22 AM

I use Photoshop CS2 (current is CS4) and really like it . It did have quite a learning curve  I had to purchase some books for it  and one by Scott Kelby that especially deals with digital photography and I love it, and  highly recommend his book

Not Ranked
Posts 6
owlwoman wrote
on 30 Jun 2009 12:59 PM

I used to have Photoshop which I also loved but I couldn't afford it even with an education discount  when I had to replace PhotoShopPro when I changed computers (Corel wouldn't support it after they bought it out.).  I bought Photoshop Elements and have found that it does everything so far that I try to do with my photography that I wanted to do from Photoshop days so I've been happy.

Jennie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 30 Jun 2009 2:36 PM

What great help, thanks y'all! And such ringing endorsments for PhotoShop Elements, too, I'll look at it a lot more closely now.

The "learning curve" factor of a new photo editing package does intimidate me somewhat as I have so many things I'm in the process of learning right now, but I love manipulating my art in an editor and then printing it on fabric, so the motivation to take time to learn is strong.

Here's hoping they have a free trial or demo that I can putter with this weekend.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
Sally M4 wrote
on 30 Jun 2009 6:35 PM

I'm just learning PhotoShop Elements too.  I got the book "Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 - Classroom  In a Book" and hope to start working with it next week.  I'll let you know how it goes and if the book is helpful or not.  Cheers, Sally

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 3:50 PM

I use PhotoShop Elements 6 and love it.  I will never learn to use all it does but what I can do I love.  Hint take your photo to full edit page click on FILTER then SLETCH and then PHOTOCOPY.  This will give you a wondrful outlined negative photo.  If you start with a black and white photo you will get an almost perfect lined drawing that is a great pattern to use for applique or painting.  I use it for photos of my grandkids that I paint on fabric.  This works best if there is good contrast in the original photo.  It is amazing and fun.

Whidbey

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 3 Jul 2009 9:12 PM

O O O Whid, what a great tip! I'm marking this thread as a favorite so I can review it once I invest in the new software. Thanks! :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 275
Dale Kathryn wrote
on 3 Jul 2009 9:31 PM

Approachable - if you buy magazines, I suggest a look at the current issue of Photoshop Creative. This is the first issue I have purchased, it is from the UK, and appears to have a lot of information and tips in it, plus a free CD that you may find to be useful.

TADA / BC

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'Keeffe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 3 Jul 2009 9:46 PM

Woot! I'll look for it, thanks for the head's up!

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 166
on 4 Jul 2009 3:00 AM

I have PhotoShop Elements 2 - came witht he computer.  I'm giving serious thought to updating, but to be honest, this has all that I need.  If you are just doing photographs, I think Elements will probably cover everything you need.  The big gun seems to have more features for websites, from what I've seen.

Kathleen

gallery

Not Ranked
Posts 2
messygoat wrote
on 11 Jul 2009 5:02 PM

Photoshop Elements can do most (if not all) of what your average user would need for it to do as far as photo editing and manipulation. And yes, brushes are a big part of that -- you can make a brush out of anything -- even one of your own picrtures. :)

There are lots of free tutorials online that teach you how to do little things, and Scott Kelby's books are good. And I have loved the classes I've taken at jessicasprague.com as well, but I'm a scrapbooker as well. :)

I use CS3 but I started with Elements. I upgraded when I wanted to create "text on a path" (text in a custom shape) and Elements can't *create* those -- it can only use previously made text paths. When I scrapbook I often journal in the nooks and crannies left by my photos and embellishments, and so I needed the capability. And because of a graphics job I was doing for a website that required the same thing, the website purchased the software for me. Otherwise I'd still be using Elements and be very happy with it! :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 11 Jul 2009 8:39 PM

Thanks for all the great recommendations... I'm going to go ahead and try the Photoshop Elements. You all make it sound perfect for what I want to do. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
Phoenix4426 wrote
on 13 Jul 2009 8:11 AM

I have photoshop 7 and have had it since I did a graphic design diploma 6/7 years ago. My latest upload "Pigeon English" was created on it, and once you get the hang of any photoshop software it's a pleasure and great fun to use. It also gives you playing time when the inspiration for the next piece is missing.

Lynne

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS