Hello from North Carolina - I have a question...

This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
pamlicobee wrote
on 4 Jul 2009 6:52 AM

Good Morning to all and Happy July 4th!!!

I would like to know what kind of printer, in your opinions, is the best for printing on the inkjet ready muslin or cotton? I hope you all can help me with this question.

Thanks so much. Debbie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
amybharry wrote
on 4 Jul 2009 3:55 PM

Hi Debbie,

Happy 4th to you too.  I am also celebrating my 19th wedding anniversary today.  In celebration, my husband helped me soda soak some PFD cotton and silk and make 5 batches of dye concentrate.  What a good day!

In answer to your printer question, I use an Epson printer because of the pigma ink it uses.  The HP and Canon's use a different ink than Epson.  It really depends on whether you are going to launder the fabric often or use it for art.  For "art" purposes, I use the Epson.  I recently (memorial day weekend) purchased a workforce 600 for $149 at Office Max.

Good luck.

Amy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
pamlicobee wrote
on 4 Jul 2009 8:18 PM

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your reply. And Congratulations on your wedding anniversary!!!

What I am wanting it for is to do quilts and art projects. I am a photographer also and have an Epson 3800 stylus pro printer that I use for processing my photos but I would not dare use it for anything else.

I know nothing about PFD and printing on fabric except what I have seen on the internet. I am envious of your knowledge. I know nothing of soda soaking and such. I have ALWAYS wanted to dye my own fabric but I don't know where to begin. We live WAY OUT from town. Our nearest town is 35 miles away (one way) so there are no classes to take or such. But that is another subject...

What I am wanting to learn and be good at now is to print my photos on cloth and then do art and quilting projects with them. About laundering them... I guess they would not be laundered. I would not see a need in that.

So are you saying...that pigment ink is better than is dye based inks for fabric??? My husband is doing some research for me on this now as I type.

In any regards, thank you for your reply. I also wish you luck with your projects!!!

Blessings,

Debbie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
amybharry wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 6:40 AM

I started by reading and reading and reading some more.  Then I got very confused!  I finally purchased a book by Melanie Testa, "Inspired to Quilt" that has recipes to follow step by step to prepare fabric and to "paint with dyes."  Her book however, does not go into dyeing large batches of fabric.

Where in North Carolina are you?  I am visiting near Asheville after Labor Day to check out the small rural mountain towns on our way to Viriginia for a family visit.

Amy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 133
on 5 Jul 2009 9:52 AM

pamlicobee:

What I am wanting to learn and be good at now is to print my photos on cloth and then do art and quilting projects with them. About laundering them... I guess they would not be laundered. I would not see a need in that. 

Debbie, there has been discussion on best printers on another forum, so you might want to check there.

Basically to print on fabric with an inkjet printer, you need fabric (ggg) and it needs to be treated in order to accept the ink and not rub off, and/or to get a nice quality result.  You can print on fabric doing absolutely no prep to it, but whether it will stay or not is another matter.  So you can buy ready prepped fabric for use in the printer, which is probably the easiest way to go, and it comes in find chiffon like versions as well as more substantial.  However, its not such a bit deal to prep the fabric for printing before hand, just it adds time to the process.  There are a few products I know of to prep fabric

Bubble Jet Set -  soak the fabric in it for a few minutes, then let it dry and its ready to go.  Golden Digital Ground, or Inkaid, you paint on, again you need to leave them to dry, poss 24 hours.

Fabric should be cut to the right size for your printer and needs attaching to a 'carrier' sheet - this could be ironed onto freezer paper but I simply use the normal printer paper.  Some people tape or glue stick it all the way around each edge - I just tape it to the leading edge.  Put it in the printer and print!  You might want to choose an option for photography paper - purely because sometimes this makes the process slower and so less likely to smudge, and also specialty papers are often a little bit thicker than normal, so the rollers get adjusted to accommodate.

The above uses your printer direct onto the fabric.  However, you can put images onto fabric via the image transfer method - again its not difficult, there are various products and methods for this one too, but you can do it without huge expense - and if you're worried about damaging a printer, then this uses just  normal paper prints, no fabric anywhere near the printer.  Which option you choose may depend entirely on the results you want, expense involved or time involved.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 11
amybharry wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 10:51 AM

Hi Debbie,

Beverley is absolutely right- there is always more than one way to do just about anything!  BubbleJet Set is an inexpensive and effective way to go.  Alternatively, you can purchase "Printed Treasures" by Milliken which are cotton fabric sheets that you put directly through your printer.  It is a bit pricey however, at almost $20 for 5 sheets.  JoAnn's sells it and I wait till it's on a 50% off sale.  I'm sure you can find them online from a variety of sources also, since many quilt shops sell it.

Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
pamlicobee wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 2:19 PM

Thanks Beverley and Amy for the good info. I will also check out the other forum and see about the printers. I do appreciate all the advice.

And Amy...answering your above question...We are from Pamlico Beach NC. A small fishing village on the Pamlico Sound. But our daughter lives close to Asheville. She really loves the mountains but me and my husband are total flat landers...lol and LOVE the coast!!! Have fun in the mountains when you visit.

Again, thanks for all the info.

Blessings, Debbie

Not Ranked
Posts 5
pamlicobee wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 2:30 PM

Also this is my website where I sell my photos... www.pamlicobee.etsy.com and my blogsite is... www.pamlicobee.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 3:14 PM

Fabric I for printing on my inkjet is Bleached, Mercerized Combed Broadcloth, (thread count 133 x 72).  PFD and is the type of fabric you see in your store bought batiks.

I have been using Bubble Jet Set for years.  I put the date of purchase on it and toss it after a year.  I also keep in the house in a dark closet.

Marti in Houston, Texas

Not Ranked
Posts 5
pamlicobee wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 5:20 PM

Marti is this the kind of fabric that is ALREADY treated that you would buy at say...EQ?

Or is this Bleached, Mercerized Combed Broadcloth the kind I am to look for at my local store? I hate to appear dumb here it's just I have never done this before. I have heard about Bubble Jet for years but have never purchased any.

And also thank you for your reply.

I also checked out the other forum on this subject and still do not really know what printer I am going to buy. I would love the Epson 1900 but I just don't want to put that much into it. Like I said earlier I already have an Epson 3800 for my photos and it cost alot!!! I guess if I want my quilts and art to look as good as my photos do I just need to be quiet about the money and just do it...lol...

What kind of printer do you use, if I may ask?

Blessings, Debbie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 55
marti13 wrote
on 5 Jul 2009 8:27 PM

Debbie,  It's PFD fabric.  You have to order it on line.   I am not a fan of the fabric that is already treated.  I like to do my own, as I have sometimes printed on fabric  that was not white, but was a color.

I have an HP (don't know the current model offered online or in stores) that can print from 4 x 6 up to over 13 or 14 something. 

I print on fabric to make quilt labels.  I often don't make labels for quilts I keep for me, but when it's made as a gift, i have a set format. For example:

Name of quillt

Made for

My name, city and date

As I use  long arm quilter, I always credit her by saying "quilted by her name and the name of her business."

Marti in Houston, Texas

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS