Printing with shaving cream question

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 7 Jul 2009 9:55 AM

I have only tried this technique once with limited success.  The colors were quite pale and I have forgotten what kind of paint/dye that I used.

Can you help me with this?  What are you using?  Paint?  What kind?  Dye?  Dynaflow?  Inks?  Rit?  Diluted acrylics?  The cheap craft type or expensive Golden brand?  Do you dilute the acrylics?  If so with water or GAC?  Or some other textile medium?

I have a group coming on Saturday, and we would like to try this again, but I sure would like to have any hints that you would share.

Thanks for the help

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 7 Jul 2009 11:51 AM

I'm partial to Golden liquid acrylics for their high pigmentation. However, reinkers also work beautifully for this.

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 156
Whidbey2 wrote
on 7 Jul 2009 6:37 PM

Hi Peggy,

I read directions that said use Tsukeneko inks with shaving cream.   Of course they were put out by the Tsukeneko company.  I haven't tried it and I am out of town so I can't find the information in my studio right now but their website might have it.

good luck

Whidbey

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 99
pandabolt wrote
on 7 Jul 2009 8:01 PM

Thank you for your help.  I did some research online as well, and it sounds like the inks are probably best.  Tsukeneko and Dynaflow appear to be the most often used.  I'm going to check out the Golden as well.

Love this place for all things artsy. 

I'll happily receive any other hints that any of you might wish to share.

Peggy Holt

Missoula, Montana

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 469
on 8 Jul 2009 7:47 AM

Just remember that Dye-na-flow is not an ink, it's a very liquid fabric paint. I've found that if too much of it collects on the surface of the fabric, it will break and dry kind of spotty. Way too much of it and it will flake off the fabric.

I live Dye-na-flow, but it needs to be handled a lot like paint. :D

- Judi

My Blog   My Art

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS